Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:29 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times

Advertisements

The top 50 hospitals that gouge patients the most - Washington Post

As far as people not paying, I thought everyone HAD to have insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 AM

170 posts, read 140,184 times
My son is having surgery this week. I tried to call and get an estimated cost of the procedure - no one could tell me. Not the provider, and not the insurance company.

How can anyone shop around for health care if you can't get quotes on prices?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:13 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
^Exactly. I tried to do the same for maternity costs. Answer: voodoo.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 PM

295 posts, read 442,177 times
Even if you get a quote, it doesn't mean a hill of beans. I had a procedure a few months ago. Beforehand, I called the hospital to get an estimate. I was told it would require a co-pay of $100 and the remainder, about $2000, should be covered by my insurance. When I got there that morning, the co-pay was $300. A couple of weeks later, I got a hospital bill for $2400 and a doctor bill for $700. Three months later, I got a call from a collection agency that I hadn't paid a $400 radiology bill - that I never received a bill for. After several phone calls, I found out the radiology bill went to some random address in another town, despite me filling out reams of forms at check in. (So much for patient privacy, huh?) Only when I complained to the billing office at the hospital did someone there say that I should ask to have my hospital bill resubmitted to my insurance because "it's really very common" to have coding errors or typos that result in claims either not covering as much as they should or being completely rejected.

Sorry if that went off topic a bit and sounded like a rant. 'Cause it kinda' was one. :/

Old 06-10-2015, 03:02 PM

944 posts, read 1,185,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
The top 50 hospitals that gouge patients the most - Washington Post

As far as people not paying, I thought everyone HAD to have insurance?
You're kidding, right? Many have opted to pay the fine instead of getting insurance... "can't afford it, don't want it, no one can tell me what to do, ACA sucks..." the list goes on

Old 06-10-2015, 04:23 PM

458 posts, read 617,006 times
Hospitals behave just like any other business; they charge what the market will bear. Every hospital/doctor/lab charges a ridiculous amount to have it knocked down by insurance. It amazes me how Americans think our current system is acceptable.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
You're kidding, right? Many have opted to pay the fine instead of getting insurance... "can't afford it, don't want it, no one can tell me what to do, ACA sucks..." the list goes on
Begin Quote
The fee for not having coverage in 2015

If you don’t have coverage in 2015, you’ll pay the higher of these two amounts:

* 2% of your yearly household income. (Only the amount of income above the tax filing threshold, about $10,150 for an individual, is used to calculate the penalty.) The maximum penalty is the national average premium for a Bronze plan.
* $325 per person for the year ($162.50 per child under 18). The maximum penalty per family using this method is $975.
End Quote

The fee you pay if you don't have health coverage
https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exem...being-covered/

You can get out of paying the so called "fee" if you apply for and are given an exemption. The list is quite long so anybody with a creative mind should be able to qualify for an exemption.

An couple examples of hardships that qualify for an exemption is:
Begin Quote
11. You were determined ineligible for Medicaid because your state didn’t expand eligibility for Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act
12. Your individual insurance plan was cancelled and you believe other Marketplace plans are unaffordable
End Quote

A low income person in Alabama who would financially be eligible for Medicaid would be eligible for the exemption because Alabama didn't expand Medicaid.

No problem if you had health insurance that was cancelled. If you say you can't afford an available plan in the Marketplace then you get an exemption.

Hardship exemptions from the fee for not having health coverage
https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exem...ip-exemptions/

Old 06-10-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
My son is having surgery this week. I tried to call and get an estimated cost of the procedure - no one could tell me. Not the provider, and not the insurance company.

How can anyone shop around for health care if you can't get quotes on prices?
It's not just hospitals. I have yet to find a doctor or clinic that will give a price for their services ahead of time.

Years ago a guest on the Tonight Show said you should be able to go into a doctor's office and negotiate a price if you pay cash. I have tried that at several different places and have been told they either couldn't do it or couldn't come up with a fixed amount for their services.

One time I asked how much physical therapy cost at the Huntsville Hospital Medical Mall if I paid cash. They said they didn't know. I called the Huntsville Hospital business office and couldn't get an amount from them either. They implied that all amounts are set by reimbursement rates by insurance companies. Doesn't it sound crazy that they were unwilling to deal with me if I wanted to pay cash?

Old 06-10-2015, 07:43 PM

944 posts, read 1,185,772 times
That is nuts...my GF went to the hospital in GF, MT - needed a mammogram, it was $325 for no insurance, she told them she couldn't afford the $325, so they told her if she had cash, it would be $125.00...which she gladly paid. IF there was a single payer system in the US there would also be the same charges for every medical establishment/procedure & no gauging allowed (no bashing allowed, I am just stating a fact )

Old 06-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
IF there was a single payer system in the US there would also be the same charges for every medical establishment/procedure & no gauging allowed (no bashing allowed, I am just stating a fact )
Well Medicare is a single payer. Last I read it was full of waste, fraud and abuse. Should we model a system on that?

Note that government already pays for at least 60% of all healthcare in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area