U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 02:02 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,697,596 times

Advertisements

Hope I am wrong, but I see this as being about as successful as GLO.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 02:38 PM

162 posts, read 149,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Glo has greediness from Up top which led to further issues. This should be successful. People love Orlando.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:57 PM

1,631 posts, read 1,678,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
GLO is not a good comparison, if it doesn't work here it will be because people don't use it. If we use them it will lead to more flights and possibly other airline service. Makes for easy access to the Bahamas

From Wikipedia
Silver Airways Corp., operating as Silver Airways, is a United States airline with its headquarters in Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in unincorporated Broward County, Florida, near Fort Lauderdale. It was founded in 2010 with assets from the former Gulfstream International Airlines,[2] and currently operates around 170 daily scheduled flights to 10 cities in Florida and 8 destinations in the Bahamas, with hubs at Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,697,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
GLO is not a good comparison, if it doesn't work here it will be because people don't use it. If we use them it will lead to more flights and possibly other airline service. Makes for easy access to the Bahamas

From Wikipedia
Silver Airways Corp., operating as Silver Airways, is a United States airline with its headquarters in Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in unincorporated Broward County, Florida, near Fort Lauderdale. It was founded in 2010 with assets from the former Gulfstream International Airlines,[2] and currently operates around 170 daily scheduled flights to 10 cities in Florida and 8 destinations in the Bahamas, with hubs at Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa.
The Bahamas are already 1 stop away utilizing AA and DL, including the main cities of Freeport and Nassau...pricing after the initial promo ends will be the main driving force. Silver will require 2 stops to get to any Bahamas destination except for Marsh Harbour and North Eleuthera, which are the only Bahamas destinations from MCO.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:33 AM

602 posts, read 750,448 times
Low fare airlines have not had a good track record out of HSV, and for that reason, I have my doubts that Silver Airways will have a different experience here. I don't expect them to be here a year from now.

Back in the mid 1990's the original AirTran Airways (before their merger with the larger ValuJet Airlines in 1996) had service between Huntsville and Orlando and pulled out due to lack of demand. Then in the mid 2000's, Independence Air had service from HSV to Washington Dulles. They also discontinued service because they were loosing money on the HSV flights. Next, around 2012, AirTran Airways began flying from HSV to Baltimore/Washington (2 flights daily) and to Orlando (one flight daily). They also had a lot of empty seats on these flights and when they were purchased by Southwest, the decision was made to discontinue the flights out of Huntsville.

On paper, it would seem logical that a low fare airline could be profitable flying from Huntsville to Washington and Orlando, as those are the two biggest destination markets, yet experience has shown the local population will not fly these airlines in large enough numbers. I flew AirTran to BWI a couple of times and the planes were far from being full.

Why is there lack of support for Low fare airlines out of the greater Huntsville area? My thinking is there are several factors:
1. The majority of the business travelers are government employees or contractors to the federal government and are not as price sensitive as corporate travelers. the government doesn't have to make a profit, a private company does.
2. These travelers book a lot of last minute tickets and pay more for them, so it's not a price sensitive market. Low fare airlines depend on customers who have to have the lowest fare.
3. There is a lot of loyalty in the Huntsville area to Delta's Sky Miles Frequent Flyer Program and because passengers can connect to any destination in the world though their Atlanta hub, many business travelers would rather make a connection through the Atlanta airport to Washington or Orlando, even if Silver Airways is a lot cheaper, just to keep their status in the Sky Miles program. The evidence for this is how few business travelers used the AirTran flights to the Baltimore Washington Airport when their destination was Washington.
4. Because the Nashville and Birmingham airports are so close, the catchment area for HSV is small. Going north into Tennessee, I doubt many folks north of Ardmore use HSV, and going south, how many folks from Cullman fly out of HSV when the Birmingham Airport has Southwest and more flights on all airlines overall? The result of this is a reduced number of leisure travelers who would be more receptive to a low fare airline.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:31 AM

1,631 posts, read 1,678,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Low fare airlines have not had a good track record out of HSV, and for that reason, I have my doubts that Silver Airways will have a different experience here. I don't expect them to be here a year from now.

Back in the mid 1990's the original AirTran Airways (before their merger with the larger ValuJet Airlines in 1996) had service between Huntsville and Orlando and pulled out due to lack of demand. Then in the mid 2000's, Independence Air had service from HSV to Washington Dulles. They also discontinued service because they were loosing money on the HSV flights. Next, around 2012, AirTran Airways began flying from HSV to Baltimore/Washington (2 flights daily) and to Orlando (one flight daily). They also had a lot of empty seats on these flights and when they were purchased by Southwest, the decision was made to discontinue the flights out of Huntsville.

On paper, it would seem logical that a low fare airline could be profitable flying from Huntsville to Washington and Orlando, as those are the two biggest destination markets, yet experience has shown the local population will not fly these airlines in large enough numbers. I flew AirTran to BWI a couple of times and the planes were far from being full.

Why is there lack of support for Low fare airlines out of the greater Huntsville area? My thinking is there are several factors:
1. The majority of the business travelers are government employees or contractors to the federal government and are not as price sensitive as corporate travelers. the government doesn't have to make a profit, a private company does.
2. These travelers book a lot of last minute tickets and pay more for them, so it's not a price sensitive market. Low fare airlines depend on customers who have to have the lowest fare.
3. There is a lot of loyalty in the Huntsville area to Delta's Sky Miles Frequent Flyer Program and because passengers can connect to any destination in the world though their Atlanta hub, many business travelers would rather make a connection through the Atlanta airport to Washington or Orlando, even if Silver Airways is a lot cheaper, just to keep their status in the Sky Miles program. The evidence for this is how few business travelers used the AirTran flights to the Baltimore Washington Airport when their destination was Washington.
4. Because the Nashville and Birmingham airports are so close, the catchment area for HSV is small. Going north into Tennessee, I doubt many folks north of Ardmore use HSV, and going south, how many folks from Cullman fly out of HSV when the Birmingham Airport has Southwest and more flights on all airlines overall? The result of this is a reduced number of leisure travelers who would be more receptive to a low fare airline.
While most of your points I think are on point a few are not entirely true I believe.
Air travel has changed tremendously in the last 15-20 years. Less airlines less competition, less choices.
Air Tran was not meeting expectations in HSV but they could have given the region more time but Southwest bought crushed them.
AirTran's "load factor' (the percentage of occupied seats) system wide was 85.7 percent in August 2010, while it was 44.4 percent for the Huntsville/Baltimore service and 52.9 percent for Huntsville/Orlando
Independence Air also experienced success but the entire airline collapsed not because of HSV flights.
Huntsville's service area is 50 or so miles radius, the airport loses approx. 15-20,000 passengers a year
to Nashville or Birmingham. (Not exclusive to HSV , any city within 150 miles of either sees the same thing).
I think we will see Frontier serve HSV and will do better than they will do in Birmingham IF they provide
proper scheduling. Frontier is famous for adding and dropping cities quickly.They will do that in Birmingham since Southwest is there. Frontier needs to fly Huntsville to Atlanta, (this will open up access to the entire network), Huntsville to Reagan, and Huntsville to Denver or Austin.
Silver will be successful if they keep prices low obviously.
The main point if the community does not support the service then it wont last. Its up to the airline however to provide a schedule that is beneficial to the customer.
Allegiant was another that I'm a bit surprised has not returned, but their scheduling was horrendous and too many bad experiences by customers here. They have also transformed and are having success but seem to be focusing on larger markets.
United is adding flights this summer and American may also.
United is adding two arrivals and two departures each day between Huntsville and Chicago (O'Hare), Denver and Washington (Dulles).
The new flights will begin June 7.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:37 PM

602 posts, read 750,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
While most of your points I think are on point a few are not entirely true I believe.
Air travel has changed tremendously in the last 15-20 years. Less airlines less competition, less choices.
Air Tran was not meeting expectations in HSV but they could have given the region more time but Southwest bought crushed them.
AirTran's "load factor' (the percentage of occupied seats) system wide was 85.7 percent in August 2010, while it was 44.4 percent for the Huntsville/Baltimore service and 52.9 percent for Huntsville/Orlando
Independence Air also experienced success but the entire airline collapsed not because of HSV flights.
Huntsville's service area is 50 or so miles radius, the airport loses approx. 15-20,000 passengers a year
to Nashville or Birmingham. (Not exclusive to HSV , any city within 150 miles of either sees the same thing).
I think we will see Frontier serve HSV and will do better than they will do in Birmingham IF they provide
proper scheduling. Frontier is famous for adding and dropping cities quickly.They will do that in Birmingham since Southwest is there. Frontier needs to fly Huntsville to Atlanta, (this will open up access to the entire network), Huntsville to Reagan, and Huntsville to Denver or Austin.
Silver will be successful if they keep prices low obviously.
The main point if the community does not support the service then it wont last. Its up to the airline however to provide a schedule that is beneficial to the customer.
Allegiant was another that I'm a bit surprised has not returned, but their scheduling was horrendous and too many bad experiences by customers here. They have also transformed and are having success but seem to be focusing on larger markets.
United is adding flights this summer and American may also.
United is adding two arrivals and two departures each day between Huntsville and Chicago (O'Hare), Denver and Washington (Dulles).
The new flights will begin June 7.

You are absolutely right that "if the community does not support the service then it won't last. It's up to the airline however to provide a schedule that is beneficial to the customer." I think this is the issue which has prevented the low fare carriers in the past who tried to provide service out of HSV. They tended to offer service to airports which were either non hubs or their hubs didn't offer nearly as many connecting flights as are found at Delta's Atlanta hub, American's Dallas hub, of United's hubs in Houston, Denver and Chicago.

The best opportunity for a low fare airline to serve HSV would be if Southwest could offer flights to their Atlanta and Chicago hubs. Even though Southwest does not like passengers making connections and prefers travel itineraries that are point to point service (They charge more for connections than they do for nonstop flights), they do have flights from Greenville, SC to their Atlanta hub - it's obvious that these are for passengers making connections when it's little over 2 hours to drive. This gives hope that Southwest may reconsider the Huntsville market if there is population growth.

Frontier has cut back a lot of their service out of ATL simply because they couldn't compete with the loyalty to Southwest (and Delta). I just looked and they only have one daily flight yo New York LaGuardia, so it's doubtful that there would be much incentive for them to start HSV-ATL flights.

On a positive note, Delta and United now have Basic Economy fares out of HSV. These lower fares were started as a way to compete with Southwest nationwide and it has applied to cities where Southwest doesn't fly. There can be no changes and if you get sick, you loose your money. Also, you don't get a seat assigned until 24 hours before the flight. It seems that these lower restricted flights are increasing business at this airport, too. Recently, I boarded a Delta flight to Atlanta and there were about 30 folks in Zone 3 (which is those who had the Basic Economy fare). This has probably led to United adding an additional flight to their Denver, Chicago, Houston and Washington Dulles hubs.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:26 PM

541 posts, read 648,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post

[snip]

We live north of Ardmore. It takes an hour to get to Nashville International via I-65. It takes just under an hour to get to Hsv International via Wall-Triana.

As long as you're not trying to go north during morning rush hour, Nashville all the way.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 AM

5,467 posts, read 4,699,054 times
Has anyone took one of the Silver flights from HSV to Orlando? My wife and I bought tickets a few weeks back for our June cruise out of Orlando. I'm curious to see if anyone has used them yet to get a feel for the plane. I'm used to Delta, AA, and United.

BTW.... our tickets were $199 each round trip. Made a lot more sense to us than driving for 11 hrs and putting wear and tear on our car.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:10 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,670,270 times
I don't see anything cheap about their flights unless you fly without any luggage. I priced 4 round trip tickets to Orlando and back for us and the total with our luggage would be $1438.44. I usually rent a car for the week for $200 or less and it costs under $200 in gas to drive there and back for a total of $400. It would cost me $1000 more to fly there and back using silver......I will pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area