Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:33 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,410 times

Advertisements

I had my eye exam done at The Eye Center several years back and was very pleased. I had originally gone in for contacts but then decided later to get glasses. The Eye Center gladly gave me my prescription. For whatever reason I didn't want to get the glasses there (I guess I thought they would be super expensive) and decided to go to Lens Crafters on University. BIG MISTAKE!!!! I'll just say I will never go to Lens Crafters again!!!! My wife and I are members of Costco and have discussed getting our eyes checked there but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I have heard rumors they are a little picky about what insurance they will accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 06:51 AM

266 posts, read 396,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
I have heard rumors they are a little picky about what insurance they will accept.
I have VSP insurance and Costco took it no problem and handled all the insurance stuff right there.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:57 AM

266 posts, read 396,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
Thanks Cyngreek for reminding me, as I am in a new location and will need to fill a prescription this week.
No problemo. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about an unknown like Costco handling my glasses. But then it dawned on me that my eye doctor does all the really hard work. From there it just comes down to manufacturing and Costco wouldn't align themselves with a bad supplier.

So, I took a chance and had an awesome experience.

My first pair of progressive lens I got from my optician and I think for the frames and glasses I spent like 900 bucks. I spent a fraction of that at Costco and there is no difference in quality between the two.

Now, the only real downside with Costco is that you won't get the infinite number of lens and coating options that your optician or lenscrafters or pear vision or whoever will provide. So, that is something that each individual customer will have to decide for themselves. For me it wasn't a big deal, but for others it might be more of a deal breaker.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:45 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
The last couple of times, I've used the optical shop on Redstone Arsenal (it's not government but an independent contractor) and they've done very well. They're not the cheapest place in the world, but the lenses are great. I got real glass (high index so they'd be thin), what they call DigiMax (supposedly ground just for you to your prescription), and progressives. I think the lenses with all the non-scratch coatings and such were close to $500. I used existing frames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area