U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,138 times

Advertisements

I went by the mansion today and of course wanted to take pictures, so I did. There was nobody outside, and we slowed down to get a better look and out of the bushes came a women/man screaming "STOP TRESPASSING MY HOUSE!!"(we were on a PUBLIC street, not close to the house) weird. I of course got scared, don't know why, I screamed! and I told my mom to GO GO GO! It was an experience all right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 PM

4,719 posts, read 6,111,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbsh1125 View Post
I went by the mansion today and of course wanted to take pictures, so I did. There was nobody outside, and we slowed down to get a better look and out of the bushes came a women/man screaming "STOP TRESPASSING MY HOUSE!!"(we were on a PUBLIC street, not close to the house) weird. I of course got scared, don't know why, I screamed! and I told my mom to GO GO GO! It was an experience all right.
Did you call the police? Until more folks whom this woman is attacking make police reports, this behavior is going to continue.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,904 times
Wow, in the past twenty four hours I've learned alot about this house. I saw this house yesterday (17 Oct 2011) and knew nothing about it's history or owners. I simply saw what I thought had to be one of the most beautiful homes I'd ever seen. I originally saw the top of the house from Oakwood as I was driving west into town. Being an amatuer photographer I was drawn by the beautiful architecture of the roof and a turret.
So I worked my way over to Kildare St and drove past the home. Though it's delapidated it was stunning to say the least. Even the NO TRESPASSING signs, three I believe, were strung across the front yard they didn't detract from it's beauty.
I was compelled to learn more. I parked my bike beside the street, and stepped across the strewn logs that are obviously used to mark the property and made my way to the front door. I rang the door bell and within a thirty seconds a lady opened the door widely only to suddenly close it to mere crack. She then commenced to yelling at the top of her lungs that I needed to vacate her property. She informed me I had broken at least four laws by accessing her porch. I attempted to apologize to her, but she simply kept ranting about getting off the porch. It was a somewhat eery and creepy feeling as she watched me through the nearly shut door. I raised my voice so she could hear me and I apologized for bothering her, and I simply wanted to ask her about her house. She yelled "I don't take questions!" I turned and stepped off the porch and porceeded back to bike, and she was still yelling to get off her property.
I got home and googled "House Kildare St Huntsville, AL" and I found this site. It's been a very interesting thread to say the least. I'm glad I found the link because I've learned quite a bit about the history of the house and some pretty funny stories about the lady who lives there.
I'm not sure why she's so angry, or angry sounding. I suspect that when your house is one such as this and registered in the National Historical Society of Homes your going to have passer by's who want to know about the house.
I'll respect her privacy and leave her alone, but I am sure I'll return to take pictures of the house from the street.
Some posted links proved to be super inciteful!
Here is one..
http://leealumni.homestead.com/030127.html

Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,865 times
Default Good luck taking pictures

A friend of mine tried taking pictures from the street at Christmas (after the snow), and she ran him off.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM

5,843 posts, read 15,901,573 times
That's "insightful." You're welcome.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 AM

261 posts, read 638,573 times
This thread has troubled me for some time. I am stunned by the number of people who've posted about disturbing the owner of this house. What do people fail to understand about *private property* and the right of its owner to quiet enjoyment of her home without being harrassed? According to those who have bothered her, the owner has posted No Trespassing signs which are ignored. Do you supposed you're the only person that week, or even that day, who thought it might be interesting to check out this private residence even though the owner clearly does not wish to receive visitors? I'd be surprised if the people who've posted here represent even 1/10 of the number of people who considered it their "right" to invade the owner's privacy. No wonder she might seem a bit cranky.

I wouldn't like to worry about nosy photographers every time I stepped outside to pick up the morning paper in my pajamas, retrieve the mail, take out the dog or pick a few flowers. If I'm grubby from pulling weeds from among the shrubs, I don't want to encounter some stranger with a camera and an entitled attitude. If some person thought the No Trespassing signs did not apply to him, and even continued to pester me after I told him to leave the premises, I might yell also.

We live in a large house on a lot with a lovely view. The builder worked on it for nearly two years before we saw it, and it attracted some visitors when it was under construction. When we first moved here, I tried to be patient with people who didn't seem to get that it had been sold. But after window treatments were installed and there were other obvious indicators that it was a private residence, I got fed up with being startled by strangers wandering around the property. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if we weren't in a gated community. The HOA provided a Private Residence sign to place at the bottom of our long driveway, but that still did not discourage everyone. It didn't help that I had a family member who was seriously ill and facing a lengthy recuperation when we moved into this house. I was on call 24/7 to provide nursing care, and the last thing I needed was some gawker waking up my patient by ringing the doorbell to ask if he could picnic in our backyard before taking photos (yes, that happened.) Just last week, I caught some guy setting up a tripod in order to take photos without permission. I politely, but firmly, informed him that he had to leave. Like an entitled "special snowflake" he tried to argue with me. At least I have the option of phoning security, but the woman you've been bothering does not.

I don't know what this poor lady's situation might be, and it really doesn't matter. She may have over reacted to some of the people who have bothered her, and perhaps she is disturbed. I just can't believe some of the juvenile comments and the apparent enjoyment some posters appear to take at the idea of deliberately harassing her. No one *needs* to take photos of that house, and for those who want pictures there are plenty already available online. If someone truly believes the owner is troubled, or that the property has fallen into such disrepair that it poses a danger or is an eyesore, then talk to a community social worker or elder care expert or even local law enforcement to see what can be done to help.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:14 PM

168 posts, read 499,542 times
MadHaus, look back in this thread for my last post. You'll notice that many of the posters have 1 post histories. I hoped the moderator would take heed of what I said. This property has a long-running feud surrounding it. The neighbors harbor some hard resentment over property issues. It is my opinion that most of these 1 post visitors are actually the neighbor. I do have a little inside information on this topic, but I am not familiar with the lady referenced. I invite everyone who supposedly taunts this lady to post their home address to share in this experience.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM

261 posts, read 638,573 times
Thanks, Clamoore. I missed your earlier post. It's surprising that this thread wasn't pulled a long time ago.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM

7 posts, read 38,837 times
For the record - taking pictures of the house does not violate any "No Trespassing" sign, and it is perfectly legal and ethical. It's a beautiful, historic house. Any reasonable person living in such a house ought to expect people to take pictures of it on occasion, and without trespassing on the property. People are, in fact, entitled to admire and take pictures of a historic house that is a landmark in the community. They are not entitled to trespass on her property or actually harass her - but someone innocently taking pictures of the house while not trespassing or threatening is not harassment.

All of the negativity that this woman is getting she has personally invited and brought upon herself with her harassment of innocent admirers of the house. Truth. I do think people should leave her alone. But she should also leave people alone.

To those who defend her - how would you like to get sprayed in the face with a hose the next time you are walking through a historic district and take a few pictures of a remarkably beautiful house? Having your house getting photographed by strangers comes with the territory of living in such a house. Deal with it or move out. Peaceful photographers who are not on the property aren't violating anyone's rights or privacy.

Don't bother answering that with any retort. I think everyone knows what is right and wrong in this situation.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 AM

848 posts, read 2,059,748 times
Look, the house is on the National Register of Historic Places. If you don't want people looking at your house, don't buy one on the NR. Being on such a list automatically makes it a hotspot with tourists and there is no need harassing folks for admiring a historic home from the curb. My own encounter was brief and unnecessary. My mother recently moved back to Huntsville after 25 years in California. Her first week back I took her on a quick tour of town showing her landmarks and such. One such stop was this house. All I did was slow down as we passed. I didn't even come to a complete stop and the woman in question charged us with the water hose. That is absolutely ridiculous. I fully respect people's right to privacy, but it's not like we were peeping toms or something. We didn't quibble, harass, or argue with the lady. We simply moved on.

So again, if you don't want people admiring your home, don't buy one on the National Register of Historic Places. If so, your home basically has public figure status and you have no right to go Charlie Sheen on people for passing by to look at it.

However, I do acknowledge that there may be some circumstances unbeknownst to me that have led this woman to this sort of behavior. If she has had run-ins with neighbors and whatnot as suggested in some previous posts, I am not aware. If that is the case, it is unfortunate. I believe most folks who stop by are simply admiring the house. Anyone trespassing or causing stress or harm to the home or its occupants should be prosecuted.

Last edited by deesonic; 12-06-2011 at 05:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area