U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 PM

421 posts, read 818,969 times

Advertisements

My goodness. I can't understand why you people can't understand than a couple of older women ( or any one else for that matter) might be insecure about having people lurking around their house all the time. What if they decided not to stress over it and let their guard down and someone who they assumed was just admiring the house was casing it and later broke in to rob/harm them? Just because it's a historic home doesn't mean it's a museum. If I were them I would erect a 20 foot tall electrified iron fence around the property. That way people can look all they like and the occupants will feel safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 PM

121 posts, read 121,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
My goodness. I can't understand why you people can't understand than a couple of older women ( or any one else for that matter) might be insecure about having people lurking around their house all the time. What if they decided not to stress over it and let their guard down and someone who they assumed was just admiring the house was casing it and later broke in to rob/harm them? Just because it's a historic home doesn't mean it's a museum. If I were them I would erect a 20 foot tall electrified iron fence around the property. That way people can look all they like and the occupants will feel safer.
Well I can kind of see both sides of this. If they are real private people, they should have not moved into this kind of house, it would seem. But at the same time, it is silly for other people to complain about them putting something around the house.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 PM

421 posts, read 818,969 times
Maybe they honestly didn't anticipate such curiosty from people. And honestly, it's an ugly old house. I don't understand the obsession.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe they honestly didn't anticipate such curiosty from people. And honestly, it's an ugly old house. I don't understand the obsession.
Oh i thought it was in that swanky historic area near the park. I took my parents over there when i lived in hville and my mother was wigging out over those houses. LOL

Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,101 times
yes, i am serious about buying the kildare mansion & no, i am not rich, but where there's a will, there's a way. and no, i'm not trying to attack the owners on here. i've just been upset that whey would want to hide such a beautiful place from view and create an eye sore for the neighborhood to look at. but it made my day the other day when channel 19 took action & the fence has been ordered to come down, and they will have to come up with a more suitable fence for the property. the city had no idea that it was going to be that tall. i live in the neighborhood & have loved that house all my life. i fell in love with it when i was able to see the inside back when it was an antique shop years ago. ever since then, i have always wanted to buy it. the last time that it was up for sale, i found out too late that it had just been sold. and my point about letting people tour it and see the inside of it is because a lot of people admire that house, and i'd love to share it & it's history of when it was built and by who. i'd just have one rule - pls take pics in the daytime & not knock on the door after 9:00 p.m. out of respect for my guests that may be spending the night, because i plan on it being a bed and breakfast. nope, it hasn't gone up for sale, because i don't see Mr. Wright doing that anytime soon, but if i see him over there again, & if he is willing to talk with me, I will ask him how much to purchase the property. that is if Deliliah will not go all crazy again & allow me to talk with him. i am not going to say just yet how i will be coming up with the money to purchase the kildare mansion, but all that i will say for now is that i have some things in the works.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:31 AM

230 posts, read 314,283 times
Well, BMW Dave, I remember quite well. Do you remember my reply at the time? Like last time, I wasn't extending the offer to you, but the two people who were quoted.

And did you catch where I said, "And just because any of us might enjoy someone coming up to look at, or ask about, our property does not mean every does, nor should we expect them to"? Or do you think everybody in the world has to think, feel, and act exactly as you?

As far as your assertion that,"those people who live there have brought most of this on themselves," I believe this is a situation where there is more than one guilty party.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
The house is odd looking but I wouldn't call it ugly. It has a certain Victorian or even a Gingerbread house look to it. I can see why people would be curious about and surely that couldn't have surprised this couple too much.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 AM

308 posts, read 452,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
Everything is insured.
Many things can not be replaced by any amount of money.
As for example the very last picture of my wife and our kids taken hours before she was killed in a car wreck caused by 3 drunks in their car.
Or my dad's rifle, was the very first production rifle made by FN in Belgium for the then, 1957, new caliber .458 Win Mag.
Quote:
And I have had stuff stolen from me in the past, but it certainly doesn't make me paranoid that everyone is out to steal my stuff?
I'm not paranoid, just being a realist.
Quote:
And once again, my house is not historic, but I will continue to be pleasant to folks when they come up and say "Hello", I hope I will still be doing it in another 26yrs...
I was raised in a different generation when as a kid you were told never to go on someone else's property without being invited. And in my 63 years I have never done that and will never do that. It is just rude.

And just for your information a couple of facts of what can go wrong.
- a few years ago a 30 something guy rings my doorbell.
He tries to sell me a list of magazines so he can earn points to do a trip to Europe for his education, so he says.
When I refuse to buy anything he gets mad and starts screaming that it is rude to not buy anything from him, and a bunch of other accusations.
While I reach for my shotgun behind the door I tell him that he has 5 seconds to be off my property.
A couple weeks later we see his face on WAFF Crime-stoppers, he was wanted for burglary and possession of stolen goods, this from a house just a few miles down the street from me.
And you think I'm paranoid ?

- earlier this week, I'm in my home office/gunroom/library that faces the street.
A Ford pick up pulls in my driveway and a guy walks up to the house.
I don't see or hear anything on the front door, so I go outside looking where he is.
I find him between two cars I have on my driveway trying to look inside one.
When I ask him what he is doing he says that he is a big fan of the brand XXX of one of my cars, but that he really comes to offer his business card, he cleans gutters and repairs roofs.
If you come to offer me your business, than you don't look at my cars.
Or you think I'm paranoid ?

- how many houses new of for sale are robbed of their air co units ? or their copper lines ? or other metals used in the house ?
Maybe I'm paranoid ?

Last edited by FAL50; 10-12-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 AM

if he had a business card for gutter cleaning for you, he is pretty clever for a wannabe thief.

I had a young girl insult me when I didn't buy magazines from her so she could go to hawaii for free. Those kind of dumb people probably do end up committing crimes later down the road. But they aren't dangerous when they come to your house selling magazines.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:46 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,789,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
Well, BMW Dave, I remember quite well.
As far as your assertion that,"those people who live there have brought most of this on themselves," I believe this is a situation where there is more than one guilty party.
Ok, because it just seemed familiar and I wasn't sure if it was you, but then I went back to look and sure enough it was...

I think we can finally agree on that last statement. I do agree that some people can be intrusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post
Many things can not be replaced by any amount of money.
As for example the very last picture of my wife and our kids taken hours before she was killed in a car wreck caused by 3 drunks in their car.
Or my dad's rifle, was the very first production rifle made by FN in Belgium for the then, 1957, new caliber .458 Win Mag.

I'm not paranoid, just being a realist.

I was raised in a different generation when as a kid you were told never to go on someone else's property without being invited. And in my 63 years I have never done that and will never do that. It is just rude.

And just for your information a couple of facts of what can go wrong.
- a few years ago a 30 something guy rings my doorbell.
He tries to sell me a list of magazines so he can earn points to do a trip to Europe for his education, so he says.
When I refuse to buy anything he gets mad and starts screaming that it is rude to not buy anything from him, and a bunch of other accusations.
While I reach for my shotgun behind the door I tell him that he has 5 seconds to be off my property.
A couple weeks later we see his face on WAFF Crime-stoppers, he was wanted for burglary and possession of stolen goods, this from a house just a few miles down the street from me.
And you think I'm paranoid ?

- earlier this week, I'm in my home office/gunroom/library that faces the street.
A Ford pick up pulls in my driveway and a guy walks up to the house.
I don't see or hear anything on the front door, so I go outside looking where he is.
I find him between two cars I have on my driveway trying to look inside one.
When I ask him what he is doing he says that he is a big fan of the brand XXX of one of my cars, but that he really comes to offer his business card, he cleans gutters and repairs roofs.
If you come to offer me your business, than you don't look at my cars.
Or you think I'm paranoid ?

- how many houses new of for sale are robbed of their air co units ? or their copper lines ? or other metals used in the house ?
Maybe I'm paranoid ?

Where to begin on this one, for starters EVERYTHING I have that is at that house can be replaced. No rare anything or pictures, but who would take them anyway? I'm younger so I have a digital copy of everything important and it's in the cloud. But I do agree those things you mentioned are irreplaceable.

I certainly think that if you keep a loaded shotgun by the front door of your home, accessable at a moments notice and unlocked, yes you are paranoid. Just think if you had just shot him right then and there you could have saved someone from getting robbed!

On the last story, I have literally walked up to front doors and talked about their cars in the driveway. Sometimes I am buying other times I am offering my business card. I use to do it when I was first starting out, I really don't do it anymore, but would have no problem doing it tomorrow if an older BMW caught my eye.

I do agree on the copper pipe and AC unit, but in my particular case I don't have either. I won't have the AC unit until just before we move in and PEX piping instead of copper.

I do genuinely think you are paranoid though. I mean those door to door steak guys would probably knife me given the opportunity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area