U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,404 times

Advertisements

I emailed WHNT in hopes of getting someone there to drive by with a hidden camera.. Haven't heard anything back yet. She needs to realize that the road is city property and she can't legally be forcing people to move their car. Something needs to be done before she goes off on someone who isn't scared enough to drive off and she gets popped..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,816 times
Wow we r quiet law abiding citizens and that seemsa to bother her

Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 15,130 times
Apparently she went to court today for breaking someone's window. This should be interesting...

Old 01-04-2011, 03:40 AM

567 posts, read 1,554,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercocoa View Post
Apparently she went to court today for breaking someone's window. This should be interesting...
Where did you hear this?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Actually, one of my friends is good friends with a girl whose window she shattered, so now they're suing. I also know several other people whose cars got damaged thanks to her.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,093 times
i got pulled over and frisked by the cops for going past the house 3 times looking at it at 8 at night trying to get a good look. (turns out that the lady was hidden in the bushes wearing all black with a video camera which we didnt know at the time) then we went across the street to eat for about 10 minutes and we deiced to go back around one more time and sure enough out side the house was 2 cop cars 3 police officers and right away the threw us out of the car (4 guys) and began question us as if we were planning on robbing the house.

Three weeks later i get a letter in the mail saying that she was pressing charges and we went to court and all but the judges just rolled his eyes.

crazy people these days... :/

Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,437 times
Default Did not know about this until.....

Well we went to see "Standing By" at the Renaissance Theater Sunday night (it was GREAT) and was talking to someone after the show about how the area is making a come back and that there are high hopes that this will continue. We talked a little about the history of the area and I noticed the tops of the roof of the Kildare-McCormick home. So when we were headed home we drove down Oakwood west and decided just to drive by and look at the grand ol home. We drove by slowly and turned into a driveway on the other side of the property to leave the area. We paused another minute to look. We remained in the car, looking, taking NO pictures or video and noticed a pickup truck coming towards us then turning around and pulled up behind us with horn blaring and brights on. I rolled my window down and arm-flagged the driver to go around. He yelled- "There is no parking here." I politely yelled back we are not parking- we are standing (car in drive with engine running). He yells back "You are blocking traffic and what you are doing is illegal- I am going to call the cops." We sat there a few seconds and decided perhaps we were blocking traffic and drove off with the maniac 2 feet off the bumper with bright headlights on. It was about 5 PM or so. None of that made any sense but thought there must be a problem with this property. When I Googled the address and the name McCormick I was able to find this blog. I dont understand how we can be forced off a city road. But having read the blog and all the experiences the others in town have had with these people maybe we just need to leave them alone. Here is a URL for some of the BEST pics of the place you will ever see! Got them off this blog in an earlier post- thanks to who ever took them. Probably best to leave them alone- they seemed obsessed with privacy.... View pics at:
[SIZE=2][URL="https://outlook.athens.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=09e65a0ca8d04575bba581ed03678f5c&URL= http%3a%2f%2fwww.flickr.com%2fphotos%2fverticalhou se%2fsets%2f72157608007915613%2fshow%2f"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/verticalhouse/sets/72157608007915613/show/[/URL]
[/SIZE]

Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,018,762 times
Playing around and found the history of this home. It's obviously from several years back, as it's from when the home was up for sale. Whoever the lady is that bought it - whether she be crazy or just desperate for solitude - even if it needed work, it was a steal at under half a mil in my opinion. I"d have paid it happily if I'd had it. It's a stunning home!

Quote:
Major Michael O'Shaughnessy moved his wife, Anna, and their five children to Huntsville in about 1882. They moved from a lovely home in Nashville, Vauxhall Gardens, that had originally belonged to Colonel Nicholas Hobson, Mrs. O'Shaughnessy's grandfather.

Kildare, one of the finest new homes built in Huntsville was begun in 1882 and completed in 1886. The building techniques of the New York crew were extremely innovative and admired by many of the local workmen who often came to watch the construction. The Queen Anne architecture is one of the most popular styles of the Victorian era. The hallmark of the Queen Anne style is an irregular roofline and turrets. The Queen Anne style of home utilized contrasts in shapes, textures, and colors. It may utilize brick, shingles, and stone on the same house. They also used carved and relief decorations and large porches and verandahs. In 1889 the graceful hostess and gallant husband entertained at a brilliant reception, and the house was lighted by gas from basement to garret.
Much more information follows, as well as a portion of an article from an 1890 paper from back when it was first built. Scroll about a third of the way down the article, past the drawing of the horse on the left. Info is under the photo of the home.

Lee High School - Huntsville Alabama Alumni

Certainly hope when / if she sells, or after she's gone, it's deeded to someone that's willing to love it and open it to the public. With the interest that's been generated here she could've made a fortune by opening just a few of the rooms as a museum and charged an entry fee. I understand her desire for peace and quiet though. Must be difficult to purchase what to her may have been her dream home and then to feel that people won't leave you be there. Although if I were in the area, I'd probably be tempted to drive past myself and see it in person. It's a truly breathtaking home. Wish she could understand that people simply want to look and not bother her.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Since posting I've found out a lot more about the home and its residents. I actually know the name and occupation of the woman that lives there (but for privacy reasons I won't post it) and that she works with antiques. Also, according to a source very close to the founder of Lumpkin's Stained Glass, the shop next to her house that often does business with the woman, she had a sex change years ago and the other woman in the house is her partner (I know for a fact that she had a divorce as well, so I'm not totally sure who the man in the house is, though). It sounds really out there, but the source is very reliable... who knows?!

Also, a friend of mine who goes to Huntsville High said they ran in their school paper that the house was up for sale again. I HIGHLY doubt that (it is a high school newspaper, after all), but has anyone heard anything?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,894,520 times
Was that petty gossip really necessary on a public forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area