U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 PM

339 posts, read 774,182 times

Advertisements

Driving home from an outing at the Flying Monkey - we passed a rather interesting large home. I have been able to find out that is the Kildare-Mccormick House but other than it being on the National Registry of Historic homes and that it was built in about 1886/1887 I can't find any thing about it. Does anyone know anything about the history of this interesting home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 PM

3,253 posts, read 5,201,417 times
It's for sale, only $499K The link provides a nice history of the house and pictures.

Untitled Document (http://www.vvwrealtor.com/2004%20Kildare.htm - broken link)

Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 PM

602 posts, read 1,345,664 times
Default McCormick/Kildare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
It's for sale, only $499K The link provides a nice history of the house and pictures.

Untitled Document (http://www.vvwrealtor.com/2004%20Kildare.htm - broken link)
Holy COW. It's been for sale for that amount for like, three years or more.

I know that it is now apparently parceled/portioned out into apartments, which does not give the impression that it's been well cared-for. The realty company that's trying to sell it will offer you a thick flyer/brochure on the house's history, if you're interested. Can't recall who it is, and it probably doesn't need to be mentioned by name in this thread anyway.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 PM

FlourChild - the place is a fixer-upper for sure

That and the old transmission shop in the front yard hurt the price.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 PM

807 posts, read 1,444,031 times
It is one of the most interesting old houses in Huntsville. I really wish we had a strong historical society like a Savannah or Charleston who could buy it.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM

602 posts, read 1,345,664 times
I always thought Kildare looked like someplace you'd see Shaggy, Scooby and the rest of the gang investigating. CREEpay. I'm sure it's of great historic value, but the Old HSV Hysterical Society will NEVER buy that place; it's in the "wrong" part of town, don't you know. As for the HS members I knew of, they were transplanted northerners looking strictly to protect property values, NOT locals who actually cared about Old Huntsville or its history.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:02 PM

FlourChild - their desire to protect property values has been a real bonus for Huntsville. I remember when Twickenham houses were partitioned into apartments and rented out - not very nice.

You're right about Kildare - no neighborhood society to care about - maybe the Meridian Street widening and the Mill condos will motivate someone to fix it up.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 12,939 times
Default The house(castle as we call it)

has been bought by a local antiques dealer and she is getting it ready to open as her business.I always wanted it but my family said they would not live there because they belive it is haunted.Just a note the new owner belives she has a ghost in the basement.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 11,958 times
Default Kildare-McCormick House

The Kildare-McCormick House is beautiful, even though it needs some repairs. I just found out today (6/19/09) that the house sold about 2 years ago, but I don't know who the new owners are. When I was a baby (around Dec 1960), I and my parents lived in the house, when it had a few rental apartments inside; however, we didn't own a camera then, so we don't have any pictures. We would love to be able to go inside the house just to look around, but don't know if the new owners would allow that. The house has a great history.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 22,473 times
Default Hello!! incident outside of the McCormick house

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
Driving home from an outing at the Flying Monkey - we passed a rather interesting large home. I have been able to find out that is the Kildare-Mccormick House but other than it being on the National Registry of Historic homes and that it was built in about 1886/1887 I can't find any thing about it. Does anyone know anything about the history of this interesting home?
Hey there. I just made an account a few hrs ago so I don't really know what I'm doin on here but I just wanted to tell you about a couple incidents outside of this house! Ok so my friend Alex and Andrew happened to notice that house like you did, so they drove down the road, parked, and right when they got out, they heard a "man" tell them he was calling the cops so they needed to leave. she said he was dressed in all black and all she could really see was a shadow. so today we decided to drive by there during the day time, so we did and turned around..saw a neighbor down the rd and decided to ask if he knew anything about who lived there now. he said 2 women live there now and they seem really nice; his wife and son have talked to her a few times and he said the women usually do yard work outside..and then he told us about how it used to belong to the McCormicks and a few rooms in there were available for renting. he also said he went into it once when he was a kid but hasnt been in there since and it was beautiful back then. and THEN he goes, looks like she's out on her porch now if yall wanna go talk to her. we were like, hmmmm ok...so we drive slow and my friend stops right in front of it and we see this woman racin to the bushes...she picks up the hose and yells, "GET AWAY FROM MY HOUSE"! (our windows were down) haha. WEIRD. took a minute to let that moment actually process through my head... we were like did that really just happen? haha so that's all I know so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area