Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Well, my boss is African-American, and my boss' boss is an Asian female! (not making this up) And she's in senior mgmt. at a very large company, I might add.

But I'm sure that's just a fluke.
I know you can only deal in absolutes and you somehow think you are saying something here so fine. I absolutely said that there were no successful minorities in charge of anything. You can go back and read it in every post here.

(That was sarcasm for everybody except TN2)

Old 08-25-2015, 10:50 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I know you can only deal in absolutes and you somehow think you are saying something here so fine. I absolutely said that there were no successful minorities in charge of anything. You can go back and read it in every post here.

(That was sarcasm for everybody except TN2)
You throw out statements about this minority or that, and when someone calls you out and you've lost your argument, you resort to replies like this.

I do realize that just because my skip-level boss is an Asian female doesn't mean that Asians (or other minorities) are running all the companies in the country. But it's a data point that is in direct conflict with the agenda you try to push, so you try to discount or discredit my statements.

It's the same old tired victim mentality....."I didn't achieve this because my race/age/religion/etc. held me back"; and "Birmingham can't achieve great things b/c the Governor & state are too biased toward HSV". Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Blacks generally don't have that uncle that owns or works at the company to get you hired or a daddy that knows the judge or lawyer who can get that dui or minor posession charge to go away.
That is a misconception that some people (including you, apparently) have. You *think* that most white people got where they are b/c of someone they knew or their mom or dad knew along the way. Nothing I have ever accomplished or done has been due to any strings pulled for me by anyone! Same for my husband. And same for 95% of the white professionals I know. Of course there are the one-off's who get a job b/c Dad knows someone, or get into a school b/c their uncle went there or whatever. But it's definitely not as pervasive IRL as you seem to think it is.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:34 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,678 times
There is a great documentary on HBO about this right now.

I am only on the first part of 4. Looking forward to see how they solved Racism in Yonkers back in '87!

Old 08-25-2015, 12:57 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Right. We non project people should never pursue the best for our familes.

I never said that.

Just be glad we have what we have.

I never said that

And of course, never dare talk about it or warn our children what the world has in store for us.

I never said that

You call it making excuses. I call it realizing that world is not a fair place.

I'll agree that the world isn't a fair place. There isn't anything wrong with educating your children about the pitfalls of life. But talking about Jim Crow laws and what "was" and "where we'd be" are different that educating your children about how they might be treated unfairly in life and more importantly how to get past it and persevere.

If any of you think i need to make an excuse to you about how i live than that is your own personal hang up. Not mine...and I never said to let that wondering beat you down and consume you.

Then why are you bringing up Jim Crow? What does that have to do with a black individual succeeding today? A crippled person? An immigrant? A woman? A gay person?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:09 PM

165 posts, read 211,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
I see we are moving folks out of the projects and into richer parts of the cities.....I live in Hampton Cove and the city is building a new apartment for lower income folks near us as well so we are not immune.
In Hampton Cove you'll probably be ok...it's a long walk from the apartments to the golf course and the Olympic sized pool, plus the confederate flags flown in your neighbors' yards will serve as am effective deterrent.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM

301 posts, read 333,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
In Hampton Cove you'll probably be ok...it's a long walk from the apartments to the golf course and the Olympic sized pool, plus the confederate flags flown in your neighbors' yards will serve as am effective deterrent.
I hate that flag, Id tear them down myself. But I have not seen a single one in my neighborhood. And I have multiple black families that live on my street. In the event anyone tried to give them a hard time Id be there for them in a second. But keep stereoytping white people you have never met at Hampton Cove. You look really wise. Think about it for a second, stereotyping Hampton Cove folks as racists because they are white is just as racist as white people stereotyping you as a criminal. But it is politically correct to call white people racists.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
That is a misconception that some people (including you, apparently) have. You *think* that most white people got where they are b/c of someone they knew or their mom or dad knew along the way. Nothing I have ever accomplished or done has been due to any strings pulled for me by anyone! Same for my husband. And same for 95% of the white professionals I know. Of course there are the one-off's who get a job b/c Dad knows someone, or get into a school b/c their uncle went there or whatever. But it's definitely not as pervasive IRL as you seem to think it is.
So basically you know it happens you just want to tell me you know exactly how many times it happens and that i don't know. Were past arguing if I'm right...you and i are just talking about how right.

I'm fine with that. Mission accomplished.

there'd be no need for affirmative action, the NAACP, black history month, HBCUs, black frats and soros, black churches, black student unions or any of a number of things that tune "non-racist fair" people up if the above didn't happen on the regular.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:17 PM

301 posts, read 333,576 times
Tourian I have no problem with the NAACP, Black history month, black frats, BET, Jet magazine, black radio, black beauty pageants etc. Any of those things are fine by me. Just dont ***** if white people decide they want their own things as well. Is that not equality?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So basically you know it happens you just want to tell me you know exactly how many times it happens and that i don't know. Were past arguing if I'm right...you and i are just talking about how right.

I'm fine with that. Mission accomplished.

there'd be no need for affirmative action, the NAACP, black history month, HBCUs, black frats and soros, black churches, black student unions or any of a number of things that tune "non-racist fair" people up if the above didn't happen on the regular.
You're missing the point: the point is that it happens so Infrequently, it doesn't even bear mentioning. Maybe in a small town where jobs are scarce it makes a difference. But if you work for any large/international company (and I have worked for several), it probably makes up for .00000001% of total jobs. You're trying to make a point about something you know nothing about and have no experience in.

And please don't claim that blacks don't show nepotism in their hiring practices, awarding contracts, giving bonuses, etc. You live in "the HAM", so you MUST know it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area