Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 06:28 AM

14 posts, read 27,391 times

Advertisements

I recently applied to a position at this airport and I am from St. Louis. I honestly know very little about the area other than it's incredibly beautiful. Can anyone give me information on the area, such as cost of living, crime, interesting things to do in the area? Also, I am unfamiliar with the reputation of the airport. I see it serves a few major airlines and the outside of the airport looks nice. Any insight on the airport would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 06:05 PM

12,782 posts, read 9,291,683 times
It's also known as Huntsville International Airport, not because they have international passenger traffic, but because they have a pretty solid international cargo function. There are several 747 flights a week, mostly to the Orient, some to South America. If you haven't already, you can read about the airport at hsvairport.org

As far as passenger traffic, it's about what you would expect, maybe slightly more, for a city/area of this size. It's not a hub, and most traffic is business related and thus the fares are among the highest in the country, unfortunately. Facilities are great ... it has two very long (I think 10,000 feet and around 12,500 feet) so can handle any aircraft that's manufactured.

Huntsville was a very small town until the 1950s, when it because a space exploration centroid. There are several
Army command headquarters here as well as a major NASA field center, which of course means the attendant presence of all the major and minor aerospace and defense contractors. As a result, the education level and income levels are quite high. Oddly enough, the cost of living is less than the national average.

The Huntsville, Madison, and Madison County web sites can provide much more information. You can get those links by Googling.

By the way, in one of the recent Base Realignment and Closure activities, many Army employees were transferred here from St. Louis, so you'll have plenty of people from your neck of the woods. And St. Louis isn't that far away from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: