U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:07 PM

22 posts, read 82,184 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how bad the humidity is in Huntsville? Do the homes in Alabama have alot of mold and mildew problems because of the humidity?

My husband is about to accept a position there and we'll be moving from California to Huntsville. I know the change in weather will be huge, so I'm a little nervous about it.

I'd really appreciate any info that you might have to share about that area.

Thanks!!
Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 01:23 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,800,540 times
It can be humid here during the summer but not all year long. You might want to check out a thread about Huntsville from a newcomers eyes. Zennjenn just moved here from CA and shares her thoughts about the area, ppl and the weather.

Post your questions here and we will try to help.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 PM

Default Thanks!

Do you know where I can find the post by ZennJen with her thoughts and opinions on the area?

Thanks!
Jessica

Old 01-27-2008, 01:53 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...er-s-eyes.html

Old 01-27-2008, 02:17 PM

298 posts, read 1,031,505 times
It is very possible that the humidity will be a big shock when you move from California. Growing up, I spent a lot of time in Huntsville and LA. Things do mildew quicker--you have to make sure that you hang things up if they are wet, and you will probably want to run the fan in your bathroom after you take a shower. Basements can get pretty musty. Make sure that you are careful where you store things that you want to be preserved--like photos and papers. You don't want to store nice easily-mildewed things in a basement. You will notice that things will take a lot longer to dry. Your face might break out when you first move, but it will acclimate. Some people are really bothered by the hot, humid summers. Ninety degrees in Huntsville is much more unpleasant than 90 degrees in the desert. It could be worse--you could be moving to Florida, where the humidity is even higher. As long as you learn to keep things aired out and dry, your stuff should be fine. I think it is an individual thing whether or not you can handle the humid summers. A/C is a beautiful thing. I always loved Alabama summers, but I spent a lot of time in the pool or at the river.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:37 PM

I came from FL so it isn't that bad to me, but it is hot humid or not during the summer. I find it weird it gets hotter around 4 pm unlike FL where it is hot from early morning

Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 PM

Thanks for your responses! I also have a doll collection and I hope that I can keep them dry enough so they don't mildew. Anyone out there have a collection of anything that they take extra precautions to preserve?

Jessica

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM

1,598 posts, read 4,121,558 times
I responded to your other post but really, an AC is a must here IMO. AC reduces humidity as well as cooling. I think your dolls will be fine if kept indoors.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM

339 posts, read 1,048,521 times
I also came from Florida recently. I don't have any experience with the summer in Huntsville - but right now I am fighting the lack of humidity. It has been a long time since I've had to fight dry skin, static in my hair and in the laundry.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM

Funny, I get up in the morning and my hair looks like I stuck my finger in a socket. I haven't had problems with the laundry since I use dryer sheets, but I do have to water my violets more than once a week.
My favorite thing is walking to the car or into a store and getting shocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area