Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:50 AM

66 posts, read 83,472 times

Advertisements

I see this a huge news for residents in Madison. There is a plan talk that Hughes road will be extended to Kellener road that's going to be linked to I-565 interchange. I am aware that there were some people who complained why Hughes road was not selected to become an interchange point. This plan is actually pretty smart, it will allow Madison residents to have an easier access to Redstone Arsenal, new future shopping center and I-565. I am hoping that Kellener road will be at least 5 lanes to accommodate all the commuters/residents/shoppers.

There is also a plan to add an auxiliary lanes on I-565 from east end of Madison Blvd to I-565 Zierdt road intersection. It seems that city of Madison and developers of Town Madison will be responsible for the cost of this project, and the loan that's borrowed for this project will be paid off using new sales tax and property tax from Town Madison.

Huntsville Development in facebook mentioned this project once in the comments, and it's not found anywhere on news yet, so I'm guessing that it's not fully official.

The link to the document is provided below:
http://www.huntsvillempo.org/wp-cont...ments-8-15.pdf

Along with this news, I'd like to point out several road upgrades in Madison that's needed to be done in my opinion and not in the immediate plan.
1) Extend Balch road all the way up to Huntsville Airport, and put up light signal on the Madison Blvd and Balch road intersection. Beautify the area, because this will be the real face of Madison, in my opinion, since it's directly connected to the airport.

2) I-565 needs to be widened from east end of Madison Blvd up to Greenbrier road. The westward traffic during the rush hours was the worst I've seen in the Madison/Huntsville area, and it was similar to congested highways I've driven in Washington DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:57 AM

300 posts, read 606,666 times
I hadn't heard about a Hughes-Kellner connection, so if that's true, that's good news. I've wondered about making Hughes an entrance point to 565, but there's really just not a lot of room for it there, IMO. You see the amount of space they needed for the County Line Rd. interchange.

I have a feeling it won't be long until we're seeing traffic similar to the DC area. The good thing about here is that at least there are several alternate options. But the population here is growing, and although it seems the infrastructure is trying to keep up, stunts like the Old Madison Pike bridge widening and the fact it's taking well over two years aren't helping much.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:23 AM

Just realized it's released on news today:
New I-565 interchange is big win for Town Madison shopping complex | AL.com

Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnbam View Post
I hadn't heard about a Hughes-Kellner connection, so if that's true, that's good news. I've wondered about making Hughes an entrance point to 565, but there's really just not a lot of room for it there, IMO. You see the amount of space they needed for the County Line Rd. interchange.

I have a feeling it won't be long until we're seeing traffic similar to the DC area. The good thing about here is that at least there are several alternate options. But the population here is growing, and although it seems the infrastructure is trying to keep up, stunts like the Old Madison Pike bridge widening and the fact it's taking well over two years aren't helping much.
It is stunts by ALDONT that keep the infrastructure so far behind the times.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:00 AM

442 posts, read 647,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonresidence View Post
Agreement opens 700-acre development on I-565 and Zierdt Road in Madison

Yeah, I had started a thread about the Town Madison development a while back and posted that news article on that thread a few minutes ago before I noticed you posted it here.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:48 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
565 is pretty clogged in the mornings eastbound from Decatur and outbound afternoons toward Decatur. I didn't realize how congested it was until my group of golfers took a couple trips west of Decatur some days ago (I'm retired so don't do rush hour commutes very often anymore). Some of it is due to the intersection work in Decatur itself, but not all of it. It seems the new County Line Road interchange has relieved congestion at Wall Triana ... but moved it westward to the new interchange.

The new Zierdt interchange and Town Madison will be a big boom for Madison. But since I live in Edgewater, it might make access a bit interesting for the coming few years.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:19 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

The new Zierdt interchange and Town Madison will be a big boom for Madison. But since I live in Edgewater, it might make access a bit interesting for the coming few years.
I am SO not looking forward to it and seeing how long it has taken, and still is taking, ALDONT to complete a simple project like widening Zierdt, this will be interesting

Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
I am SO not looking forward to it and seeing how long it has taken, and still is taking, ALDONT to complete a simple project like widening Zierdt, this will be interesting
ALDOT and the cities seem to be doing good jobs recently. Although there were little hiccups, they widened Martin Road, replaced Wall Triana Bridges, and completed County Line road interchange the last two years. And they are working on Zierdt road widening and County Line road improvement in a fast pace, and about to complete Old Madison Pike pretty soon (highly possibly before Cabela's opening date 9/30).

I may be a little biased since I moved to Huntsville three years ago and don't know as much as the other people would do who lived here longer, but for me I do see them doing good jobs except for the fact that ALDOT is holding HW72 project which I'm absolutely not happy with.

Last edited by madisonresidence; 09-08-2015 at 08:43 AM..

Old 09-08-2015, 01:41 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,065 times
Being biased about Huntsville really has nothing to do with the slow road work from ALDONT - we've been here for 2.5 years and living in VA I saw mega million dollar projects completed faster than it has taken them for a short stretch of road & note, I didn't say it wasn't good, I said it was slow...

Old 09-08-2015, 05:07 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,578,001 times
Huntsville has a 1960 era road system thanks to aldont. Most of these projects you see being done are 15-20 years in the making. Poor signing, lighting, design are all aldont trademarks. Delay is their motto anyway possible. Money earmarked for projects, (overpasses at Moores Mill/Shields Rd, University US72 widening) gets used elsewhere. If the city didn't push and pay for projects themselves (the state loves this it frees up money they can spend south of the Tennessee River) most of the current projects would still be on the shelf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area