Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 9,404 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm from Arkansas and thinking about moving our family to Arab. I'm wondering if we will be accepted by the locals. Would the residents do Arab ever truly welcome us in or would we be labeled as outsiders forever? Seems like such a nice town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM

3,506 posts, read 762,925 times
i cant think of any reason someone from arab would have any disdain for someone from arkansas ...i am not from the area but every cemetery around has family members of mine in them ...come on down ...you can even be a razorback if you wish .. we put up with war eagles so we can put up with razorbacks as well ..

Old 09-07-2015, 11:42 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,521,357 times
Arab??? Are you moving to an Arabic country or is there a town called Arab in the U.S. ( surely not )

Can't tell from op

Old 09-07-2015, 11:52 AM

3,506 posts, read 762,925 times
yeah >. Arab alabama .. lovely little town just south of the tennessee river and huntsville ....

Old 09-07-2015, 11:56 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,521,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
yeah >. Arab alabama .. lovely little town just south of the tennessee river and huntsville ....
Rep for you for moment of clarity cheers

Old 09-07-2015, 12:12 PM

Arab Alabama. We just want to fit in. Want our kids to make friends.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:15 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Arab is a nice little town. It very laid back and very safe. The schools are some of the best in AL. You will be invited to church by your neighbors as is the custom around here. The city pop is around 8K but there are around 30K in the police jurisdiction.

If you are looking for a place with a mall, movie theaters and chain restaurants then you will be out of luck here. There are fast food restaurants and other restaurants but none like AppleBees. Guntersville is 10 miles away and you can go fishing or boating there plus there are more restaurants along with a Lowe's and other stores.

I love it here and I have made a lot of friends. You will have to make an effort to meet people but it isn't hard as everyone is friendly.

BTW.. the reason it is called Arab.. The founder of the city sent 3 names to the Post office in order to become a real town. He chose 'Ink' Bird' and Arad (his son's name). Well the PO sent back the name of Arab and they figured it was too much of a problem to change it.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Thanks keeper.....that was the sort of info I am looking for.

Not wanting the big shopping centers. Want to walk into the piggly wiggly and have the cashier know me. Want folks to smile and wave as our cars pass one another. We love church, and would want to be actively involved. Guess we're looking for Mayberry.

If you've lived in the south long, you understand how some folks can be with outsiders, never allowing us to truly fit in. Oh sure, they'll be friendly but would never invite you over for a BBQ. We don't have any family there, but do have some that live in southern Alabama. Without family there, it'll be harder for us I think.

It looks live a very nice place to be. Looking forwarding to visiting next month. Any suggestions for a visit?

Old 09-07-2015, 05:12 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,748 times
Ditto what Keeper said.. I lived there for 15 yrs, raised my children there and I don't think I could have raised them in a better place. If you search, I've made several posts about Arab in the past (as has Keeper).
I was from Ct ... a yankee , and loved it there. (moved due to some family issues).

And, it is pronounced AY-Rab for those that wondered.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:00 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
I have made friends here but I am active in animal rescue. I can tell you from experience that if you just sit inside your house you aren't going to make any friends. I know my neighbors but not really friends with them.

If you go to church you will find it easier to make friends here. If you have kids you will find it easier to make friends. I have friends that are my age and friends that are much younger. We go to lunch on occasion and also go to craft fairs or take classes and also volunteer.

We have a wonderful Italian/Greek restaurant on Main St called the Sicilian. My favorite place but there are other good places too. We have a mall. well it was a furniture store and is more like a flea market. There are 3 grocery stores, a meat market and good mexican food here too.

The Santa Claus parade is country. Arab HS has an almost 80% scholarships for seniors. They have an out standing musical program. The theater company has won National awards for their plays.

Rent is reasonable but the only downside is it is hard to find a place that will is not too rent to you if you have animals. Check out Valleymls for housing prices. Our property taxes are very cheap and the HOI is not too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area