Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 12:12 PM

48 posts, read 83,170 times

Advertisements

I've visited HSV about 10 times and really love the city and surrounding area. I'm considering moving there but I'm concerned about the economy. I hear how HSV is booming and it's a high-tech city, but my impression from visiting is that HSV is actually 2 cities economically. One, a high-tech engineering center with good income grafted onto a larger low-wage service industry economy, with little in-between. Is this fair/accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 PM

138 posts, read 155,985 times
If city-data.com does not provide you with enough information. Here is a link to some Huntsville statistics. Forbes Welcome aerospace and defense are our primary industries, but I would disagree that Huntsville is a "high-tech engineering center with good income grafted onto a larger low-wage service industry..." There is a lot in between the engineering population and the service industry such as: medical professionals, entrepreneurs, teachers, farmers, lawyers, sales people, professors at our universities, young professionals, technicians, pizza deliverers, musicians, administrative assistants, artists, etc. In my humble opinion (as a local, yes I was born here), I think it is a very diverse population, professionally, but I've always heard we have the "most PhDs per capita" than anywhere else in AL. I hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel104 View Post
If city-data.com does not provide you with enough information. Here is a link to some Huntsville statistics. Forbes Welcome aerospace and defense are our primary industries, but I would disagree that Huntsville is a "high-tech engineering center with good income grafted onto a larger low-wage service industry..." There is a lot in between the engineering population and the service industry such as: medical professionals, entrepreneurs, teachers, farmers, lawyers, sales people, professors at our universities, young professionals, technicians, pizza deliverers, musicians, administrative assistants, artists, etc. In my humble opinion (as a local, yes I was born here), I think it is a very diverse population, professionally, but I've always heard we have the "most PhDs per capita" than anywhere else in AL. I hope this helps.

All of the middle ground you listed can be found in the vast majority of cities. I believe the poster is really asking what other major business/industry lies between aerospace/defense and the service industry. The list you made is not the answer because they exist everywhere.(it is hard to have a city without any of those, but they are not another aspect of the economy unless for instance you have thousands of bankers or lawyers etc.)

Old 10-22-2015, 08:13 AM

30 posts, read 22,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cansv View Post
I've visited HSV about 10 times and really love the city and surrounding area. I'm considering moving there but I'm concerned about the economy. I hear how HSV is booming and it's a high-tech city, but my impression from visiting is that HSV is actually 2 cities economically. One, a high-tech engineering center with good income grafted onto a larger low-wage service industry economy, with little in-between. Is this fair/accurate?
At first you might want to ask yourself WHAT DO YOU LIKE/DISLIKE about the area? What industry you're in and how that industry is doing here in comparison with the other areas of your interest?

I didn't understood what you was referring to by saying "little in between". There is a large high-tech community and naturally they expect to get various services available. Though I don't believe that Huntsville service providers are going to die if high-tech engineers industry will move away(VERY UNLIKELY).

Yes, Huntsville is very affordable and convenient city to live. Low wages are much higher at the end of the "road" simply because your housing is MUCH CHEEPER. Your taxes are MUCH LOWER. Driving distance to commute is LESS that in bigger cities = LESS MILAGE, LESS GAS, LESS REPAIRS...

Old 10-22-2015, 11:41 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
What fills the middle is customer service and the like. Verizon, BCBS, Comcast, DTV and a few others have call centers here. They pay decently but the hours can be terrible and the job un-fulfilling. There are also several plants, such as the PPG plant and Toyota Plant. Soon the Remington plant will be ramping up. Outside of that, there isn't much.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:28 PM

154 posts, read 158,644 times
Quote:
No this is not accurate. We have a number of thriving industries in between.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:52 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Ellington View Post
No this is not accurate. We have a number of thriving industries in between.
Such as? I think it is fair to say we do have high and low with very little in-between, but, that all depends on what you see as "the middle"...what would be considered "median" here, would be low-income in other states. It is true that COL is somewhat lower here, but, it all adds up and while prices are going up, wages are not. Again, subjective to what you think in-between wages are.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:00 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Sounds like what is likely the case in many mid-size US cities. I prefer Huntsville to where I currently live, but it's still in Alabama and still too many people living on the government dole, and THAT INCLUDES PEOPLE EMPLOYED IN G'MENT SERVICES. There's very little going on with respect to innovation and private-enterprise. But again, that's what 7 years of Democratic intervention will do for you.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Huntsville is for sure a company town that thrives on defense/aerospace and government spending. There is no other "marquee" industry. Yeah, you've got your usual professionals - doctors, lawyers, bankers, that you'll find in any city, but that's not because of any special concentration or focus in those areas.

So I get why someone might say there's "two" cities and a great divide, but that's more of an exaggeration than a truth.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 AM

48 posts, read 83,170 times
Thanks for all the comments so far; I have a richer perspective now, even if not everyone said the same things. On the question of Southern wages and lower cost of living, somewhere I read a convincing analysis that these aren't proportional. In other words, COL might be 85% of U.S. average, but wages are only 75% of U.S. average.

Still, I plan to move to HSV. The quality of life is so much better there. But then I'm a life-long resident of Baltimore so that might not be saying much. I have't lived in a city where trash wasn't strewed over large parts, abandoned mattresses in alleys, etc. Huntsville is like Oz by comparison, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area