Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:13 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,393 times

Advertisements

The dude looked like an average guy too. Probably didn't see the camera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 03:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,874 times
You can have your packages held at USPS, Fed-Ex or UPS. Yes, it may be a hassle to drive out there and pick-up, but at least you know they won't be left, if you're afraid they may be taken. You can also sign up for free accounts on each carrier where you can tell the carrier to leave packages around back, behind the HVAC unit, etc. The carrier services will also show you 4 hour blocks when the packages will arrive and you can pay a small fee to narrow down the delivery window. I believe Fed-Ex and UPS also allow you to redirect the delivery to a neighbor for free. Really, there is no excuse for having packages left on your front door step without at least knowing they were delivered or setting up alternative delivery options...

Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 AM

230 posts, read 388,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
You can have your packages held at USPS, Fed-Ex or UPS. Yes, it may be a hassle to drive out there and pick-up, but at least you know they won't be left...
Yep.

Or they may just screw up and deliver on day 2 of a 5-day vacation anyway, leaving packages sitting on your front porch over a long holiday weekend.

Because...different carrier one day. Or something.

Some days I think the USPS are miracle workers with what they (almost) consistently accomplish. Others, I wonder how they've managed to stay in business.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:14 PM

218 posts, read 277,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
NoleFanHSV - thank you for posting the MPD Facebook link - that video is simultaneously scary and hilarious. The security camera video is awesome - the security company can make an ad out of this if the bad guy gets caught. Hope the police catch that SOB.
Realistically, unless the camera catches the license plate of the perpetrator, home security cameras are pretty useless for catching strangers engaged in property theft/damage. This case is unique because it's gotten some public viewings, but most of the time if you give the police your video of a guy stealing your packages or breaking into your car, it goes in as evidence and does nothing for you.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Oh man... This thread has made me paranoid. Just the other day I was expecting a package but it did not show up. I've even went to the post office & asked. They checked the tracking number and said yup, it was delivered 2 days ago.

At this point I was fully convinced that it was stolen. There goes the neighborhood with holiday petty thief. Man... I should've bought in that gated community instead. Then I checked my mail box and somehow the mailman managed to squeezed the "package" into that tiny mail box.

So all is well. Life is back to normal. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
Yep.

Or they may just screw up and deliver on day 2 of a 5-day vacation anyway, leaving packages sitting on your front porch over a long holiday weekend.

Because...different carrier one day. Or something.

Some days I think the USPS are miracle workers with what they (almost) consistently accomplish. Others, I wonder how they've managed to stay in business.
Its Christmas time all of the services have temporary seasonal help and no storage space so as soon as a truck load is ready it goes out the door without your regular letter carrier or UPS driver who might know abut any special instructions like vacation holds or station pick ups getting a look and being able to pull the piece from delivery. With major shippers demanding that we drop stuff so that you won't start thinking it is easier to go to Target open all hours to buy rather then try to get time off work to get to a postal station and their lines to pick up their product it is now becoming the default position to leave everything which the shipper refused to pay for a premium signature required service.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:54 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
We were NUMBER ONE in western Canada when I worked for Loomis overnight courier. We had very solid standards for deliveries but residentials were often a challenge with little reward, as you don't see the client often. If our standards were not followed there was very good folowup. Packages were not to be left unless the client ok'd in advance, gave instructions on where to put it, and the driver put it where they asked.

Then came "contacting out" and everything went sideways. UPS and FedEx hadn't arrived yet, and when they did skimmed the cream customers and left us with the crap. Things went further sideways. No one in management set a clear standard even though the procedures are on the books, and the Union didn't back up anyone for anything, so you brought in a WTF attitude, even though wages/benefits are above area jobs.

When I see these videos of guys and gals chucking clients deliveries over the fence it still makes me cringe, but he's just part of the problem.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:06 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Residents of my neighborhood today got an email from the HOA secretary warning against mail and package thefts. She said that mail has been found scattered over the streets and lawns, and in many cases has been opened, presumably to steal gift cards and things of value. Apparently it's become a huge problem in the Huntsville/Madison area. She also said that a USPS IG representative is in town investigating because of the severity of the situation. Theft of mail is a federal crime.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:42 AM

776 posts, read 745,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
Realistically, unless the camera catches the license plate of the perpetrator, home security cameras are pretty useless for catching strangers engaged in property theft/damage. This case is unique because it's gotten some public viewings, but most of the time if you give the police your video of a guy stealing your packages or breaking into your car, it goes in as evidence and does nothing for you.
Even if you never catch the perpetrator it still could help your case if the carrier tries to no pay out for the insurance.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
I am a member of a local Crimewatch community. Monthly, I attend a meeting with the Sheriff's department where crimes are discussed. Over the holidays, this was a very common occurrence - a car would follow a package delivery truck (UPS/FedEx/USPS) and after the package was left on the front porch, it would be taken.

I attended the monthly meeting last night, and this is still a hot crime that didn't stop after the holidays. If you see something that looks suspicious, please - by all means - CALL 911 and report it...

Thank you.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area