Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:58 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
That is also illegal money.
So if I have a neighbor fix my AC and I give him a 6 pack of beer, would that be illegal beer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Cash is legal...

It is up to the provider to declare on their taxes... just like wait staff in restaurants and hospitality workers that are tipped.

Have family in the car business and some people still pay cash for a car... mostly used ones.

It is all the same... still goes on the books and taxes paid.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
I prefer the barter system, you fix my car and I bring you some walrus oil

Old 12-17-2015, 06:35 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Well, the guy came on Tuesday to look at the heater. The good thing is that it wasn't working so he could diagnose the problem. The computer module inside the motor for the fan on the blower is bad or going bad. Doing my research on the air handler I have I found that these X-13 motors with the computer module have had high failure rates. I'm not sure why Carrier would choose to use the same motor or module in something installed in 2013 when they had TSBs on the motors in 2009-2012. They supposedly improved the module but there are still failure rates. This particular motor allows the AC to have a higher SEER rating since its a variable speed/constant torque type motor. Still going to cost me in labor to fix it.

The tech thought that the motor would be on their supply truck yesterday, but when I called no dice. Even if it comes today I have little faith that he can come out today or tomorrow and get it done, mainly because it seems they only have 1 technician. We are heading out of town toward the end of next week obviously I need heat in the house before we go. I'd hate to do it to them, but I may have to call a different company to have this fixed, if that company can have it done faster.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 AM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Well, the guy came on Tuesday to look at the heater. The good thing is that it wasn't working so he could diagnose the problem. The computer module inside the motor for the fan on the blower is bad or going bad. Doing my research on the air handler I have I found that these X-13 motors with the computer module have had high failure rates. I'm not sure why Carrier would choose to use the same motor or module in something installed in 2013 when they had TSBs on the motors in 2009-2012. They supposedly improved the module but there are still failure rates. This particular motor allows the AC to have a higher SEER rating since its a variable speed/constant torque type motor. Still going to cost me in labor to fix it.

The tech thought that the motor would be on their supply truck yesterday, but when I called no dice. Even if it comes today I have little faith that he can come out today or tomorrow and get it done, mainly because it seems they only have 1 technician. We are heading out of town toward the end of next week obviously I need heat in the house before we go. I'd hate to do it to them, but I may have to call a different company to have this fixed, if that company can have it done faster.
You're not really "doing it to them" if they can't fix the unit they installed 2 years ago in a timely manner. You need heat, and have no obligation to the company so there's no need to feel badly at all. They must be really small if they only have one tech ... you might want to talk to one of the larger, better staffed companies (I like HC Blake, as I said before). One of their techs is here even as I type doing my semi-annual "tuneup" and he seems very competent.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:11 AM

I have maintained a lot of older heating systems and presently responsible for total HVAC at a Bay Area Hospital...

The newer systems are great when everything works... a real pain in the you know what when they don't and parts must often be sourced by unit serial number do to running changes...

I deal with large suppliers and just about every blower motor has to be ordered...

Carrier is pretty good at getting parts out... it still takes time and no one carries everything on their truck.

I do keep backup parts in house to avoid delay.

An old floor furnace had a flame and turn key for on/off... 99.9% reliable if you could light a match...

Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Welp, its fixed. The tech got the motor in and got it up and running in an hour. The tech is super nice but it is obvious that they have scheduling issues and have bitten off more than they can handle. They do lots of residential installs and installs for several of the builders in the area but only have one technician right now. I also don't have an confidence in the longevity of this motor either, since the replacement is exactly the same. I may have to find out if I can upgrade my air handler without replacing the whole system down the road.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:58 PM

183 posts, read 229,062 times
Glad the tech was able to get it fixed before the weekend and before the OP goes out of town.

Speaking of Carrier, I looked at a house for sale recently that has a Carrier unit. I've decoded the serial number to reveal the unit was installed in 2000. As these things go, that is getting up in age - is it nearing the end of its useful life?

Old 12-17-2015, 05:51 PM

I have an entire Hospital and most of the Carrier Units date from 1995... some have been almost trouble free and a few are on second compressors...

At least parts are available which helps.

The central furnace in my last home dates from 1922 and still works great and puts out nice gentle waves of heat...

My current home dates from 1958 and works great... only use it when I have company over for the holidays... other wise it is shutdown.

In 2001 I installed a new high efficiency central furnace in Mom's home... so far good... she is a stickler for filter replacements!!!

The only reason I changed hers out is because I noticed a crack in the heat exchanger... she had estimates of $4500... told her if it could wait 10 days I would take care of it... same new furnace, a custom sheet metal plenum and city inspection was under $1400. Inspector even took a picture of the install... said it was first rate... of course, it was for Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area