Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I first came to town in 1966 and the population was estimated then at about 125,000. In 1960 it had been just over 70,000 I think and around 14,000 in 1950. So yes, the space age made it grow (if you include Army missiles as being part of the space age). Now the city of Huntsville is nearing 200,000 and tiny little Madison is almost 50,000. Monrovia would be one of the larger towns in the state if they incorporated.

In the '70s and even into the '80s there were a LOT of people opposed to building 565 ... "we've already got a 4-lane ... why do we need anything else?"
. Can you imagine what traffic would be like now if it had never been built?

And it's going to continue to get worse. When Hwy 72 (University Drive) was being expanded some years ago, it should have been made into a freeway, maybe I-765. Might be a bit late for that now with all the businesses that have built there.
Before NASA was formed in 1858 the Army's missiles were the U.S.'s space program. In fact the first rocket the U.S. put in orbit was done by the Army. After NASA was created most of the Army's civilian rocket engineers went to work for NASA.

One big problem with the Parkway is that the service roads do not span its entire length. The Parkway would be less congested if this were not so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
In the mid 60s there were no apartments and very few rental houses. We rented an old house on Battle Dr. NW back then we were lucky to find a place to live. We then bought a house in SW Huntsville.
In the early 90's we lived only a few blocks from there. In 3 years there were 3 accidents in front of our house caused by 3 drunk drivers. I guess a lot of intoxicated drivers used Meadow Drive to try and stay off University Drive. I now live in SW Huntsville near Bob Wallace. This is the one of best places I have ever lived in Huntsville.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 PM

218 posts, read 277,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I lived in Huntsville in the mid 60s and it was a very safe place to live. We lived for a while right off of Patton Road in a small subdivision right at the gate of the arsenal.
My family owns several homes/apartments a stone's throw from there. Grandfather built his house there and the first few buildings during the 60s in his spare time while working on the Arsenal. Apparently it was much nicer back then and the renters were soldiers and their families until housing stipends were increased and they moved on to bigger and better places.
I lived in an apartment there about 10 years ago while saving $$$ for a house. Friends would poke fun at me for living in the 'ghetto' but violent crime in the immediate area was non-existent and pretty much all property crime was from 'friends'. Not nearly as bad as people think.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM

170 posts, read 140,184 times
Quote:
Before NASA was formed in 1858 the Army's missiles were the U.S.'s space program.
Man and I thought the Confederacy was hurting for technology!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:24 AM

614 posts, read 766,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Before NASA was formed in 1858 the Army's missiles were the U.S.'s space program. In fact the first rocket the U.S. put in orbit was done by the Army. After NASA was created most of the Army's civilian rocket engineers went to work for NASA.

The Army formed the ABMA for it's rocket program. When NASA was being formed, some ABMA folks could choose to go to either NASA or MICOM (now MDA). Others were just placed in one or the other.

At MSFC, there are still old cabinets and workbenches with the ABMA tag on them.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:39 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
The Army formed the ABMA for it's rocket program. When NASA was being formed, some ABMA folks could choose to go to either NASA or MICOM (now MDA). Others were just placed in one or the other.

At MSFC, there are still old cabinets and workbenches with the ABMA tag on them.
There is a historical depository of documents from the ABMA/ APOLLO era that is a national treasure at UAH. It was collected & made available by David Christensen <sp?> who worked for Von Braun at ABMA during the APOLLO program. David was the designer who came up with the 1st Saturn rocket configuration using existing & available parts because they were given a very tight schedule to put the rocket together.

This is what was told to me by David. Initially the space launch project was given to the Navy in a space race against the then-Soviet Union. The Soviet has beat us by launching the Sputnik that went around the Earth first. Our fear was if they can go around the Earth then surely they can drop nuclear weapon right on top of us! Anyway, the Navy had a launch failure which put us further behind schedule. Von Braun took this opportunity to make his case claiming he can launch his rocket in a short time. The decision was then made to give Army ABMA a chance. This was the start of Huntsville space program.

David had unfortunately retired and moved to Texas. But several Apollo era engineers that retired are volunteering their time as tour guide at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center. They are really our national treasure. Y'all should take advantage of that and go there & talk to these legends of our space programs.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 AM

64 posts, read 72,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
Just to nitpick, MICOM became AMCOM after the 1995 BRAC (Merged with ATCOM from St. Louis).

MDA is a separate DOD entity and are not Army.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:55 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
Man and I thought the Confederacy was hurting for technology!
You know why the government put them German rocket scientists in the middle of Deep South, don't ya?

That's so any Russian spy come all the way here will be spotted before they reached Huntsville. Also if these scientists decided to escape, they'd be eaten alive by the Alabama mosquitos before they can reach the shores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area