U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 AM

1,526 posts, read 2,551,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
I have a Midland WR-300. I was cracking up scrolling through the possible alerts to turn off some of them... Iceberg Warning?!

The S.A.M.E. technology is area specific and lots of radios have that. But this is the only one I found where you could disable specific event types.

It retails at $80 but I got mine from Amazon for about $50... who I notice is running mighty low on weather radios today. Wonder why?
Thanks Nicole.

I'll have to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,097,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I was talking to people from my mother's group and I was surprised how many people told me they slept through the sirens. People who live on the main HSV side of the mountain.

I think it just depends how close you are to a siren. That map shows a circular "coverage" area, and if you are on the edge of what is considered "coverage" maybe you can't hear it, especially if there is loud rain/thunder/wind in the mix.

It was quite loud when the sound made way to me, but it was hard to determine whether it was just EMS unless I sat there and studied it...which is a luxury moment.

And husband was not immediately stirred as his first fatigued comments were, "What IS that!?" and "You've got to be kidding!"
What I saw outside my house wasn't a constant, violent storm - I believe that was North of me by then...so I could see how a real thunder-clapper could drown out the blare...

I am talking to him about a weather radio...with all the Soldier of Fortune survivalist cr*p we have, I'm surprised we don't have one already. Going to buy some new tools.

Oh - revisiting an earlier thread about those Tornado shelter/workbenches...husband said after reading the specs that they aren't worthwhile - material and construction not strong enough to protect someone from anything other than a lesser storm. Major twister, still go SQUISH. In a can.

We have a large crawl space (one area is completely concrete and underground but I'm not sure how well it would stand or how we'd get out if the house fell, blocking the only existing door in) and the multiple-wall cubby space under the stairs in my basement studio - used to be the 'office area', going to see what can be done to possibly re-enforce one or both of those areas. Could sink a storm shelter next to the house (terrain allows for an easy installation) but there's that pesky problem illustrated earlier in this thread...getting TO it if a storm strikes quickly.

Not sure what our final decision will be.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM

1,598 posts, read 4,125,037 times
We're torn between, reinforcing our master bedroom closet as an above-ground shelter, or building an in-ground shelter that is *slightly* outside (it would be accessible from our covered porch.) The in-ground would be safer, but harder to get to obviously. We'll have to think on it.

Either way, it's not cheap, and will have to wait until we sell our house in California.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:11 PM

335 posts, read 1,349,811 times
Thumbs up A big thanks for whoever recommended radio...

...on this site several months ago. I bought my husband the Midland radio at Southern Family Market as recommended when we were in HSV in November. Put the batteries in and programmed it, and it was part of his retirement gift. He called me from where he lives near UAH when the alarm went off at 10 pm. He wasn't sure what the noise was at first, as it had never gone off before. He decided to move it into the bedroom at that point, and when the alarm sounded again at 3 am, he KNEW what to do. He told me that about 5 minutes later, the local sirens started going off. I am very thankful that he at least has the radio and that it WORKS. But trying to find a home with a shelter or basement is nearly impossible... very perplexing to me. I understand about the high water table and radon issues, but I didn't think storm shelters would be so scarce.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 AM

22 posts, read 82,225 times
Default Building a Bedroom Shelter?

Can anyone tell me about how much it cost them to build a bedroom shelter? Do any of the newer homes come with a shelter?

Thanks!
Jessica

Old 02-09-2008, 03:49 PM

410 posts, read 1,496,163 times
Do you mean a safe room? My safe room under my house cost about $4500, but I already had the walls and concrete slab cover.

Safe rooms need their own foundation (slab) if the home is not already on slab. If you ave a slab, you can purchase pre-built shelters that can be installed in your home. For cheaper, you can reinforce an existing small room, like a closet, but these are far less effective. For any foundation type, you can do an add-on to your house (again, like a closet) using ICF and a slab foundation and roof which will be much safer for about the same or less than a pre-built shelter or an in-ground shelter outside.

To get a new home with a shelter, you are probably going to have to custom build. I mean CUSTOM build, not what the subdivisions in Huntsville call custom building where you get to pick out your carpet and tile. Or, buy a home with at least a partial basement and install a pre-built shelter down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area