U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM

13 posts, read 29,500 times

Advertisements

We live in the Piedmont area between Airport Road and Drake. It is an older neighborhood with big trees and flat yards. We love it. We can walk to lots of resturants and even Starbucks, yet our neighborhood doesn't have any easy through streets so it's not too busy. Lots of retirees who have lived here for years though the neighborhood is transitioning to young families fast. It's Jones Valley elementary and Huntsville High. We love it. My husband drives 10 minutes in the morning to work in Research Park. You can get almost anywhere FAST from here. It's in the middle of everywhere Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 05:02 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,809,528 times
1stimesouth - some of your area used to be the 'Piedmont Par Three' golf course

Old 02-24-2008, 03:56 PM

25 posts, read 65,468 times
We live in the Buckhorn school district on the Huntsville side of the Flint River Bridge and have been very pleased with our choice. The traffic can definitely back up during the morning/evening commute but it's really not that bad.
As another poster mentioned, Mt. Carmel would be a good choice if your DH enjoys fishing. There are three lake in the communities that he can do catch and release (also tennis courts, pools, playground) and it's not that far from Madison County Lake.

And Buckhorn High Schoolis a great school! Excellent teachers and administration.

Good luck while you're looking. We've been here three years and enjoy the area quite a bit.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:00 PM

11 posts, read 24,036 times
You might look at Sherwood Park, which is right smack in the middle of research park. The neighborhood was developed as a cookie-cutter subdivision in the 60's (I think you will probably have a tough time finding a neighborhood that's not at least a little bit cookie cutter in Huntsville unless you live in Five Points or Twickenham), but it's had time to gain some character and big trees since then. The main thing is that it's convenient to a lot of stuff.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:51 PM

dougules - since the OP has elementary age children, could you comment on the schools zoned for Sherwood Park?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 AM

1,598 posts, read 4,139,137 times
There are a lot of gorgeous older neighborhoods in Southeast Huntsville that are not, IMO, cookie-cutter at all. They were my favorite. Mountain gap area, etc, as well as some really cool homes up on Green Mountain if you don't mine driving that road every day and being kind of far from neighbors.

I ultimately decided to live in a more cookie-cutter-esque neighborhood because of my kids - a lot more young families live in the newer developments and it really is a safe community, the kind of neighborhoods were elem kids can run around the neighborhood riding bikes and playing with friends. I also have come to appreciate it being flat.. not only do my kids like to ride their trikes and scooters on the sidewalks, but I've taken up jogging and I think I would have quit if I had chosen to live in the prettier neighborhoods that have some very steep inclines.

I will say that I think there are a good number of new developments that are less cookie-cutter than others. My neighborhood, for example, the developer took a lot of care to have a ton of different exteriors so that even though most homes more or less fall into one of 1 floor plans, no house is exactly alike on the outside within a few blocks of each other. Other neighborhoods however, look much more cookie cutter. The only thing for me that really makes every new neighborhood look bland is immature landscaping, which is about the one and only thing I really do not like about my block. Up in Hampton Cove, they build around more mature trees and such and I envy that.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 AM

262 posts, read 714,194 times
Thanks for all the input. I've decided that while I don't particularly relish the cookie-cutter look, I do prefer the more modern amenities inside some of those homes. I'm just not in the mood for a major remodel, which most of the older homes are just begging for. We have decided to rent for a year while we are looking around, and I've narrowed my list of properties down to a few for my DH to choose from next week while he's in town. I just wish there were more online sources for rental property than there are. Valleymls.com has such limited offerings and al.com doesn't provide much information at all.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 AM

1,598 posts, read 4,139,137 times
Quote:
I've decided that while I don't particularly relish the cookie-cutter look, I do prefer the more modern amenities inside some of those homes.
Yup, that was part of our issue too. At this phase in my life, having a home where everything is sparkling new, with new amenities, under warranty, is such a huge removal of stress from my life (having come from living in a 60 yr old home in California)

Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,060,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
The commute will be less than (but sometimes close to) an hour from Buckhorn, depending on traffic / wrecks / construction.

I don't think there are too many non-cookie-cutter neighborhoods (but the cookies are different). Even Old Town is somewhat cookie-cutter with all those Victorian and Arts & Crafts homes, just like Twickenham has all those Georgian and Victorian homes. I mean, if you've seen one Federal style home, you've really seen them all

About NE, a lot of people make the commute, the traffic will be worse in the next few years with road construction. Do you want to fish from your backyard? Try Mt. Carmel on the Flint River.

East you've got McMullen Cove, Hampton Cove, Clouds Cove - but they're new / fairly new developments without many trees except along the Flint River.

Do you want to fish from your boat and want to be close to the marina / boat launch? Try SE HSV Mountain Gap or Challenger school zones - fairly woody. Traffic will be impeded in the next few years because of road construction.

Also consider Monte Sano or Green Mountain for trees, schools, and driving for fishing.

Rainbow Mountain in Madison also has trees and good schools plus easy Research Park commute.
Both Madison and Hampton Cove (and other places we still are looking to check out) have:

Nice Homes, good schools, acceptable amenities, acceptable shopping, acceptable commuting distances.

What about infrastructure, how do these communities' infrastructure compare? Roads? Fire, Police? Parks? Sports Leagues? (We realize these questions are sort of redundant; We are just trying to keep the discussion going and get as much input as possible.)

What does it "feel" like driving around these communities' public areas? (We expect to find out but we thought we'd ask anyway.) "Madison feels or seems ...... where as Hampton Cove seems more....." Is one community more down to earth? More snobby? More standoffish? Which community is more likely to have the highest density of nail and hair or tanning salons? Which one has more strip clubs, bars, tattoo parlors, palm readers? Which community am I most likely to find the most Starbucks drinking moms on the cell phone in their 6000 pound SUV? Which community has the highest percentage of fake boobs? Does these questions provide a feel for a community? Does this say or tell something?

Here's one: Which community might have the highest percentage of locals or relocated locals versus outsiders (other cities, countries)?

Maybe it comes down to topography, layout, and things like relationships between homes and stores, homes, and doctors, homes and schools, etc. Here in Colorado some people love living in the trees others (like us) prefer more open landscape with views and less trees and more sun (melts snow sooner).

Looking beyond the popular and focused metric school test score data:

What about the comparison between the cultures of the Madison Schools and Huntsville schools? Is either more flexible for things like school choice, transportation (school bus routes), access to AP courses, focused academic paths (technology, arts, business obviously at the high school level)?

Last edited by Charles; 04-08-2008 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Comparing Hampton Cove / much of SE HSV versus much of Madison is like comparing apples and apples.

Neither HSV nor Madison have strip clubs - IIRC they are all in the County (for example Visions is surrounded by the city but was not annexed).

SE HSV would have a higher percentage of locals than Madison, because of a lower rate of growth (Madison exploded).

School choice? Only if you're covered by the desgregation plan or NCLB. School bus routes? You're on your own.

AP classes etc about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area