Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:57 PM

442 posts, read 647,024 times

Advertisements

MADISON, Ala. (WHNT) - If you've driven down Hughes Road in Madison lately, you may have noticed the loud construction vehicles working on Madison's first movie theater have fallen silent.

In May 2015, the city announced CinePlanet 15 would be coming to the community and would feature more than a dozen movie screens as a part of the project. "If mother nature will cooperate, Christmas, we want it open by Christmas," Madison Mayor Troy Trulock told us at the time.

The holidays have come and gone, and still no theater. While no official comment has been made on the status of construction, we have learned that several lawsuits have been filed against multiple companies involved in the construction process.

Read more at: Madison movie theater construction halted by lawsuits | WHNT.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 02:36 AM

146 posts, read 161,246 times
Any more updates?

Old 03-23-2016, 06:38 PM

43 posts, read 43,852 times
I drove by on Monday and saw 6 or 7 cars parked. A group of men were walking around the worksite, but they weren't construction workers. I'd guess a site inspection of some kind.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:38 AM

43 posts, read 43,852 times
Saw actual construction workers at the site this morning. Hopefully the project is back on track.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:40 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
I'm glad that the powers to be kissed and made up... Let's hope that they will continue their love for each other and keep this project going!

Old 05-25-2016, 03:31 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
I went past this today at lunch and was HAPPY to see that the far west part of the property is being worked on - (it's going to be a parking lot) and there were loads of folks clearing, leveling and paving. The main structure looked to have some workers in it too - but couldn't get a good look as to what they were doing. It's just nice to see construction going on again -
I don't know if there's a tentative date to have it done, but every day's closer!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:15 AM

375 posts, read 513,447 times
Well, it appears that the play nice period only lasted a couple of months. I rode by the construction site Saturday and noticed that the construction trailer and all lifts and other construction equipment are gone. I would surmise at this point that this project is completely dead and will now devolve into a lengthy legal battle amongst the various parties.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,276 times
Probably a smart decision...an area of the Huntsville metro's "small" size can only support so many movie theaters.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Another beautiful landmark for strip-mall city.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 AM

266 posts, read 396,566 times
Looks like the project is deader than fried chicken

I got this in an email from Mike Potter, madison city council representative for district 4:

The Cineplanet 15 project (north of Hwy-72, behind Publix & west of Home Depot): Work has stopped once again and it is likely to remain that way until someone with financial resources continues it. The owner is involved in arbitration with the building contractor, Consolidated. Consolidated has also filed a substantial Lien on the project. The owner issued a letter of termination which becomes final on 7-25-16. The contractor is demobilizing from the site and requested their building permit to be canceled.

Not “good news: for those of us expecting to have a local movie theater meeting the expectations set over a year ago

It is impossible to predict what will happen with this project as I’m not privy to the litigation issues, nor the financial health of the owner. Bottom line to us is that the theater which was advertised to be operational last Christmas, isn’t going to be here for quite a while, if ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area