Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 AM

51 posts, read 54,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
*sigh*

Might as well keeping my $32/mo of Internet + Cable for a few more years
If you can survive with just internet, there's a good chance that it won't cost you anything beyond the $300 installation fee. After that it's free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 09:02 AM

776 posts, read 740,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollorockit View Post
If you can survive with just internet, there's a good chance that it won't cost you anything beyond the $300 installation fee. After that it's free.
I don't think they are offering that anymore. Looks like their basic plan is the 100/100 for $50.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:06 AM

2,438 posts, read 3,180,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Who could get Google Fiber next? Madison talks set, county map released | AL.com

People in Limestone County are going to be SOL in this....HSV Utilities isn't going to cross over into Limestone County, they can't.
I wouldn't think there is a legal reason preventing them from doing so, just business reasons. My question as a Limestone CO resident is, are HSV tax dollars going to be spent on this project? If not, I won't lose sleep over not having it. On the other hand, if my money is being spent, then I would expect that HU would figure out how to cross the road to my neighborhood.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
I don't think they are offering that anymore. Looks like their basic plan is the 100/100 for $50.
From their website:
Gigabit + TV: $130/month ($300 construction fee waived) Gigabit Internet: $70/month ($300 construction fee waived) Basic Internet: $0/month (for up to seven years starting from the date your address was first connected to the Google Fiber network for any person) + $300 construction fee.
As far as I can tell, Atlanta is the only city where they charge $50/mo for their basic service. Unless you've read something different somewhere?

Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
From their website:
Gigabit + TV: $130/month ($300 construction fee waived) Gigabit Internet: $70/month ($300 construction fee waived) Basic Internet: $0/month (for up to seven years starting from the date your address was first connected to the Google Fiber network for any person) + $300 construction fee.
As far as I can tell, Atlanta is the only city where they charge $50/mo for their basic service. Unless you've read something different somewhere?
I would say that pricing here will probably be very similar to Atlanta's.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I would say that pricing here will probably be very similar to Atlanta's.
What makes you say that? The implementation plan here would appear to be vastly different than the rollout in ATL. And, like I said before, ATL is the *only* city with the pricing structure listed on their website.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
What makes you say that? The implementation plan here would appear to be vastly different than the rollout in ATL. And, like I said before, ATL is the *only* city with the pricing structure listed on their website.
Because Atlanta is more like Huntsville than Kansas City is like Huntsville. There are more than enough people here to justify not having the free internet. Why would they roll out free internet in a predominantly techy town? There are more than enough providers in this area that could offer a better and faster service than the 5/1 "free" ($300) Google Fiber.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:31 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,569,720 times
Google Fiber Plugs into Existing Networks in Atlanta
Google Fiber Plugs into Existing Networks in Atlanta | Multichannel

Comcast begs Atlanta customers not to switch to Google Fiber
Comcast begs Atlanta customers not to switch to Google Fiber | Ars Technica

Google Fiber Expanding Faster, Further -- And Making Comcast Very Nervous
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-nervous.shtml

XFINITY from Comcast vs. Google Fiber
Google Fiber vs Comcast: Compare XFINITY® Internet & TV

Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,569,720 times
Quote:
Because Atlanta is more like Huntsville than Kansas City is like Huntsville. There are more than enough people here to justify not having the free internet. Why would they roll out free internet in a predominantly techy town? There are more than enough providers in this area that could offer a better and faster service than the 5/1 "free" ($300) Google Fiber.
Huntsville is different that Atlanta and other cities in that it is building the infrastructure. In other cities either Google builds the infrastructure or supplements what it builds with existing infrastructure. The rate of expansion by Google in a metro areas has depended on how fast it could do it. We will have to wait and see how fast Huntsville and Huntsville Utilities will get it done. In any event Google Fiber would not have come here in the first place (at least any time soon) if Huntsville had not partnered with it.

Another difference is that the fiber network Huntsville Utilities is going to build will only be leased to Google. Google had not been willing to agree to nonexclusive use of a fiber network before. Time will tell if any other ISPs will want to use this infrastructure also. I can't see Huntsville Utilities, AT&T, WOW and Comcast all building their own fiber networks throughout Huntsville for residential use. There probably would not be enough demand to justify the cost of it.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:01 PM

2,438 posts, read 3,180,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Another difference is that the fiber network Huntsville Utilities is going to build will only be leased to Google.
I think you are missing a "not" in there. According to the posted article the agreement is nonexclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area