Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:27 AM

2,449 posts, read 3,205,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpatriot View Post
Yes, I use Huntsville roads but I also pay Huntsville Sales taxes! Madison city only has three big box stores and one miniature new car lot to collect sales taxes. How many does Huntsville Hvae? We all pay Huntsville city sales tax because that is where most of the retail, restaurants, Service companies are located. This helps pay for the roads I use. Madison city or the county do not have the retail base that Huntsville has. Notice how Huntsville has expanded and has favored the major roads that are zoned for business. My main complaint is that I pay twice the property and vehicle taxes as people who live in the county yet we all use the same roads. The vehicle taxes should be the same for everyone city and county.
Have you considered moving to the county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,598 times
We are retired and looking for a quiet, safe, friendly neighborhood in Brownsboro or Owens Cross Road. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:13 PM

12,900 posts, read 9,404,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
The property tax you pay doesn't go to the roads. It goes to the schools. You as a citizen should be petitioning your city council and mayor to get more retail in Madison and to annex land for retail. The system isn't broke. You have every opportunity to move to the county and pay less property tax.
I don't know that all the property tax goes to schools, but certainly some does.

I think it's funny that people will move into a neighborhood with an HOA, knowing full well there is one and what the restrictions are, and then complain and try to get around the covenants. It doesn't make sense ... the solution is to buy some place else.

And yes, we in Madison pay taxes for roads, as well we should. I don't have kids in school. In fact, I never used the public schools (we used private). Does that mean I shouldn't pay taxes for schools? Of course it doesn't ... good schools benefit the entire communtity, not just those with children. Same with property and road taxes.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:47 PM

32 posts, read 32,314 times
We moved to a neighborhood off of Mill road near County Line recently, and I would call it a happy accident. We have easy access to County Line, which is a four lane road. The interior roads of Madison are narrow two lane roads, and can get a little clogged during rush hour. It also adds 5 to 10 minutes to your commute to get out to 565. Having said that, the traffic is not really that bad, depending on where you come from. It's all relative. I would suggest looking for a house that backs up to a greenway if you can find one. Our house has woods behind, and no neighbors, so we really love the animals and trees. Also, I'd recommend a house with a screened in porch if you can get one. The bugs aren't too bad, but my husband gets bitten sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area