Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 AM

42 posts, read 67,714 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are possibly moving to Hunstville area and would love some advice from you all! My husband and I are planning on moving to Hunstville area in the next year. We have no kids, but are looking for a well established area. I really love Victorian home architecture. We don't mind commuting 20-30 mins into the city. We are in Healthcare and Engineering. We love good healthy food, and possible walking ability to eateries or cafes. We are also open to
a place in the country, if it's the right area. We are pretty health orientated so cool parks or paths close would also be of interest. I love art, and lots of trees and established vegetation. I don't like brand new cookie cutter homes.
I would love to hear some advice on towns or neighborhoods that might interest us! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 12:52 PM

652 posts, read 1,304,347 times
Don't know if you're looking to rent or buy. I live in Old Town which borders downtown There's Victorians in the area and you can walk to restaurants and some shopping. Big Spring Park is nice and the Museum of Art borders the Park. It depends on your budget as to what you'll be able to find in this area.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:42 PM

How is Gurley? And Decatur?

Old 04-05-2016, 05:27 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,578,001 times
Moderator cut: can post link to specific realtor
http://www.valleymls.com/Listing/ListingSearch.aspx

Last edited by Keeper; 04-10-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
Gurley is a small, small town with a four lane highway through the middle. I has very little in terms of services. One fast food place, one Mexican eatery, one Piggley Wiggley, several convenience stores, and a major saw mill. I think there may be a pharmacy in a doctor's office. There are several churches, an elementary school and a high school on highway 72 west toward Huntsville. Gurley had a Wal-Mart Family Market, but it closed due to not enough business.

I know there is an older home for sale in Gurley, that is being advertised as the ancestral home of some historical figure important to north Alabama. If this is the house you are interested in, you should know it is very close to the highway. Beautiful house, just too close to the road for my taste.

You might check out Fayetteville, TN just across the Tn/AL state line. There are several older homes for sale there.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:21 AM

If you were gonna rent in a neighborhood for a year, to feel out the market.....where would it be and why? We will work in Hunstville.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:11 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Decatur has a more affordable downtown historic district, and they are really doing a lot to the downtown area. I've always been partial to Athen's historic district, and it is a neat small town. Lots of people commute from those two areas.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 AM

How far of a commute is Decatur and Athens? We actually both enjoy driving so a small commute would be fine with us Is Athens on a lake? I saw water near it on a map? Do people boat on it?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 AM

614 posts, read 766,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodnmic View Post
How far of a commute is Decatur and Athens? We actually both enjoy driving so a small commute would be fine with us Is Athens on a lake? I saw water near it on a map? Do people boat on it?
Wheeler Lake, Elk River, and lots of places to access both. Tons of skiing, and fishing. This is the water that the Bass Masters hold big tournaments on.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:07 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Athens is not on a body of water, although most of the homes on the Tennessee River have Athens addresses.
Decatur is on the Tennessee River, but there are very, very few homes on the river. Decatur has 2 historic neighborhoods, Old Decatur and Albany Heritage District.
Prices for historic homes in Athens and Decatur are MUCH lower than in Huntsville.

http://www.decaturcvb.org/Multimedia...ur-old-decatur

http://www.decaturcvb.org/Multimedia...toric-district

Decatur is about 25 miles southwest of Huntsville. Athens is about 20 miles west of Huntsville.

Last edited by Southlander; 04-08-2016 at 12:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area