Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
This probably the new downtown Hampton Inn at the corner of Monroe and Clinton across from the VBC
Our Hotels - Vision Hospitality Group

Alas it could have been much more
I agree ... could be and should be much more; almost a waste of that property. It's exactly like the one in downtown Chattanooga.

I noticed that Doubletree is one of their brands. I don't think we have one of those, and I've found them to be pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 PM

198 posts, read 250,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
I was hoping for a more iconic structure downtown. This is generic Hampton Inn. Okay, I guess. Could be worse (but could be so much better too).
Seems like our most iconic structures aren’t downtown. Westin and Drury could’ve had our downtown looking legit. At this point anything above 4 stories is a success lol

Old 07-16-2018, 05:32 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSHSV View Post
Seems like our most iconic structures aren’t downtown. Westin and Drury could’ve had our downtown looking legit. At this point anything above 4 stories is a success lol
And just wait 'til we see the new city hall, if we want disappointment in "iconic" structures. Gotta wonder what the new federal courthouse will look like too. And the new Redstone Credit Union building (probably a one story branch ).

Don't you know that 4 stories is a "tower"?

Old 07-16-2018, 05:38 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,749,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I agree ... could be and should be much more; almost a waste of that property. It's exactly like the one in downtown Chattanooga.

I noticed that Doubletree is one of their brands. I don't think we have one of those, and I've found them to be pretty good.
There is a Doubletree on South Parkway...it’s an older property though.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
This probably the new downtown Hampton Inn at the corner of Monroe and Clinton across from the VBC
Our Hotels - Vision Hospitality Group

Alas it could have been much more
Exactly what? It looks like a modern hotel, similar to other Hampton inns. I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:28 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
I don't see the need or understand the clamoring for some "iconic" structure. If they are hotels they will be built similarly to their others. I was in Savannah and their new hotels are either guttedand repurposed buildings or if it's new....guess what? Looks like every other new Hampton/Homewood/aloft or whatever.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:11 PM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSHSV View Post
The reason that the Westin and Drury Inn are located on the west side of town is that area is where their customers want to be - they are business travelers who are visiting Redstone Arsenal or companies in Research Park. These customers may fly in and drive from the Airport area to the Bridge Street area and may never even see Downtown Huntsville.

Name me some companies of significant size who are located in Downtown who would attract consistent business visitors - there are some pretty far south on the Parkway, but there are hotels close to them, too. There are a lot of law firms downtown and the Huntsville Hospital complex but law firms don't typically attract a lot of out of town visitors.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 AM

198 posts, read 250,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The reason that the Westin and Drury Inn are located on the west side of town is that area is where their customers want to be - they are business travelers who are visiting Redstone Arsenal or companies in Research Park. These customers may fly in and drive from the Airport area to the Bridge Street area and may never even see Downtown Huntsville.

Name me some companies of significant size who are located in Downtown who would attract consistent business visitors - there are some pretty far south on the Parkway, but there are hotels close to them, too. There are a lot of law firms downtown and the Huntsville Hospital complex but law firms don't typically attract a lot of out of town visitors.
I agree. Just pointing out how we’re not buildin “Up” Downtown but moreso filling it up. One 17-20 story tower is all we ask. As years pass architecture will be more creative so we need to somehow take advantage of that downtown.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:05 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post

The Westin was built at Bridgestreet because the developers convinced them that Bridgestreet itself was going to be a destination. Remember the Gondola rides and all that? They even incorporated condos in the upper floors because they thought people would want to live there......never sold a single one. It turned into just another shopping center and the hotel ended up being exactly what you stated, a business traveler hotel.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:21 AM

640 posts, read 698,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Exactly what? It looks like a modern hotel, similar to other Hampton inns. I see nothing wrong with it.
This. I think it is a much more attractive structure than the vaunted Drury, and is almost as tall (7 floors for the Hampton, 8 for the Drury.)

And it is a Hilton flagged hotel, which makes it more attractive to business travelers including Hilton Diamond members such as myself.

The VBC has been needing more rooms downtown and it seems that the day is coming:

New:
Curio : 117 rooms
AC at CityCentre: 150 rooms
Hampton Inn: 134 rooms (room count for H.I. in Chattanooga which looks similar).

Existing:
Embassy Suites: 295 rooms
Homewood Suites: Can't find count, but HS at Providence has 107.
Springhill Suites: Can't find count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area