Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 02:52 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256native View Post
The biggest issue for Huntsville to have a signature tall building would be that building would suck up all the surrounding business into that building. Then we would be stuck with vacant office space. Something similar happened to Mobile.

Our best bet is either a tall hotel or a short office space with a hotel above it. Or a signature business like an Adtran or something to build... but you would never attract a large company away from research park and into the downtown.
There is that. As I understand it, there are at least a couple of high-rise buildings in Birmingham that are vacant. One of them is what was the BellSouth building, and I've heard there are others. I read that there are plans to convert the BellSouth building into apartments or condos, but I don't know if the plan is coming to fruition or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256native View Post
This is why we will never have a "high rise" unless its a hotel or convention center of some sorts.

A single high rise would swallow all the lawyers and architects that are located downtown.
Can't argue that. Or unless we become a financial center, the probability of which is near zero.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:55 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
a far out concept.
A Downtown Research Park specifically for smaller tech and incubator companies that like or need close synergy/environment and don't need large parcels of land.
It would be located on the dormant Constellation site, comprised of various high rises and apartment buildings with ground level retail and another hotel. The difference would be in the marketing, connect this park via light rail or dedicated electric buses that could tie in with the existing shuttle, with UAH (and Cummings research park. Future light rail line south to Parkway Place with stops at Whole Foods center. It would require some speculative building but a few up and coming businesses would be the catalyst. This would enhance the VBC/City Centre/Twickenham Square and encourage development at the Coke site and further west toward Campus 805/Westside.
One problem with Constellation now is it hinges on retail which now most have found their locations in the city elsewhere. Focus on business and downtown living (Huntsville needs more housing options downtown) and the retail entertainment will follow quickly.
TVA is an example of a business that moved downtown. Previously, TVA had offices in Cummings Research Park. Those offices have now shifted east to Civic Plaza at 307 Clinton Avenue.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:07 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
There is that. As I understand it, there are at least a couple of high-rise buildings in Birmingham that are vacant. One of them is what was the BellSouth building, and I've heard there are others. I read that there are plans to convert the BellSouth building into apartments or condos, but I don't know if the plan is coming to fruition or not.
Last four abandoned.....

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...s_set_for.html

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...l_assista.html

https://thefrankdowntown.com/

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...be_coming.html

Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
I think he is referring to the AT&T Building. Not sure if it's completely vacant, but it mostly is:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...-downtown.html

Also don't forget about Liberty National, although that one is obviously being worked on and rumors have been surfacing (even in the past week) about its future use.

The only one that really doesn't seem to have a plan is Brown-Marx.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
a far out concept.
A Downtown Research Park specifically for smaller tech and incubator companies that like or need close synergy/environment and don't need large parcels of land.
It would be located on the dormant Constellation site, comprised of various high rises and apartment buildings with ground level retail and another hotel. The difference would be in the marketing, connect this park via light rail or dedicated electric buses that could tie in with the existing shuttle, with UAH (and Cummings research park. Future light rail line south to Parkway Place with stops at Whole Foods center. It would require some speculative building but a few up and coming businesses would be the catalyst. This would enhance the VBC/City Centre/Twickenham Square and encourage development at the Coke site and further west toward Campus 805/Westside.
One problem with Constellation now is it hinges on retail which now most have found their locations in the city elsewhere. Focus on business and downtown living (Huntsville needs more housing options downtown) and the retail entertainment will follow quickly.
TVA is an example of a business that moved downtown. Previously, TVA had offices in Cummings Research Park. Those offices have now shifted east to Civic Plaza at 307 Clinton Avenue.
A mini version of Crystal City?

Old 10-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I think he is referring to the AT&T Building. Not sure if it's completely vacant, but it mostly is:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...-downtown.html

Also don't forget about Liberty National, although that one is obviously being worked on and rumors have been surfacing (even in the past week) about its future use.

The only one that really doesn't seem to have a plan is Brown-Marx.
I think it was built as BellSouth, which was changed to AT&T (and still has that name). There was a time when "The" telephone company was Bell Telephone, then split to several Baby Bells (one of which was BellSouth in this part of the country, and was headquartered in B'ham), and later bought out by AT&T. Pretty sure that's the sequence. At any rate, it's the same building. I'm not sure why it's vacant or mostly vacant ... maybe AT&T moved their headquarters to another city?

Converting vacant downtown buildings is happening in several places. In Jackson, MS, the Lamar Life building has become lofts, and in Meridian the Threefoot Building is being renovated into a Marriott hotel of some flavor. Huntsville doesn't really have any buildings to convert, unless you count the Times Building.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:40 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
^ they moved the employees out to the suburbs I believe. These days, it’s usually the opposite.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 AM

141 posts, read 178,551 times
Quote:
I was actually thinking the same thing. All over NOVA you have those dense low rise office parks and residential buildings and then with CC you get a little taller and the aesthetics are just awesome. What is the tallest building in Arlington, maybe 20-30 floors? We have only visited Huntsville once but I told my wife (from Fairfax) that with time it could become a smaller version of NOVA. Hopefully with less traffic!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:02 AM

141 posts, read 178,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
I was actually thinking the same thing. All over NOVA you have those dense low rise office parks and residential buildings and then with CC you get a little taller and the aesthetics are just awesome. What is the tallest building in Arlington, maybe 20-30 floors? We have only visited Huntsville once but I told my wife (from Fairfax) that with time it could become a smaller version of NOVA. Hopefully with less traffic!
Quote:

After you guys build Crystal City Huntsville you can get started on Occoquan on the Tennessee How awesome would that be?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area