Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 07:25 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Highlands church supposedly
Aren't they also building off Nance, north of Sprouts?

How many mega-churches do we need in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Aren't they also building off Nance, north of Sprouts?

How many mega-churches do we need in this area?
As many as there are enough foolish people to keep donating. This is another example of what equates to corporate church organizations that are generating millions of dollars in income tax free.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
As many as there are enough foolish people to keep donating. This is another example of what equates to corporate church organizations that are generating millions of dollars in income tax free.
Any organization that are into politics should have to pay taxes. I'm ok with churches not being taxed if they stick to religion, but the minute they get into influencing political opinions and votes, then tax away. And most of them are into politics.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
New NASA George C Marshall Space Flight Center building 4221 opens.
Marshall’s refurbishment of the 4200 complex began with the opening of Building 4220 in 2014. Both 4220 and 4221 are part of NASA’s "repair-by-replacement" plan -- tearing down costly, aging structures and replacing them with new facilities offering measurable health, safety and cost benefits.
Building 4221 is undergoing certification by the U.S. Green Building Council for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, the national standard for development of high-performance, sustainable structures. The new structure will be the ninth LEED-certified facility at Marshall, which also is home to NASA’s first LEED-certified structure: Building 4600, the anchor of Marshall’s high-tech engineering complex, which opened in 2006.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Details on the half ass I-565 solution. a wreck will shut this road down for hours...
There is not a correctly designed highway in North Alabama, because aldot always looks for the cheapest most minimal solution.

Curtis Vincent, the ALDOT chief engineer for the northern district, said he had studied I-565 for years and researched its construction. He determined that the highway was wide enough already to add another lane in each direction – and that’s including the short-length bridges along the route.
In short, Vincent said the shoulders on I-565 were built to the same specifications as the travel lanes and needed only to be paved to be utilized.
And suddenly a solution was discovered. (it took years to discover it?)

"I kept looking at it and I thought that shoulder is 14 feet wide," Vincent said. "It's a sufficient shoulder we can utilize because it's got the buildup like the mainline. We wouldn't have to reconstruct it to put traffic on it. So we started exploring that option."
The key, Vincent said, was the bridges. Did they have the capacity to add a third lane? NO
"Those bridges are 40 feet (wide) from wall to wall," he said. "Even if you had three 12-foot lanes, that would allow you four feet for a shoulder."

A tight fit, maybe, but a workable solution.
"It's still going to be safe," Vincent said. "The lane width will still be the same. We may have two 12-foot lanes and an 11-foot lane across the bridges and a minimal shoulder. But people drive across bridges every day that have less than a two-foot shoulder.
"These are very short bridges -- 200-250 feet long. Driving at 75 mph !!, you're only on that bridge for a couple of seconds."
Vincent said the widening will begin just west of County Line Road in Limestone County and stretch about 7 miles to the west to I-65. That means the two-lane sections in each direction on I-565 from Wall-Triana Highway to County Line Road will remain two lanes and some bottlenecking for rush hour traffic will likely still occur.

Vincent acknowledged that issue and said it remains on the ALDOT radar to address in the not-too-distant future. The highway can be widened to the inside, Vincent said, and ALDOT controls that right-of-way.
The I-565 widening is also still awaiting formal approval from the Federal Highway Administration, Vincent said.
and there it is, the get out of doing it card. If the FHA says no then what?
So that 100 million will be spent elsewhere south of the Tennessee River, granted the money wasn't there but now whatever was gonna go to I-565 will go somewhere else far away.
https://www.al.com/news/2019/04/how-...den-i-565.html

Last edited by AU HSV; 04-25-2019 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
This whole area is a giant CF in regards to infrastructure...

Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 AM

141 posts, read 178,551 times
Quote:
Details on the half ass I-565 solution. a wreck will shut this road down for hours...
There is not a correctly designed highway in North Alabama, because aldot always looks for the cheapest most minimal solution.

Curtis Vincent, the ALDOT chief engineer for the northern district, said he had studied I-565 for years and researched its construction. He determined that the highway was wide enough already to add another lane in each direction – and that’s including the short-length bridges along the route.
In short, Vincent said the shoulders on I-565 were built to the same specifications as the travel lanes and needed only to be paved to be utilized.
And suddenly a solution was discovered. (it took years to discover it?)

"I kept looking at it and I thought that shoulder is 14 feet wide," Vincent said. "It's a sufficient shoulder we can utilize because it's got the buildup like the mainline. We wouldn't have to reconstruct it to put traffic on it. So we started exploring that option."
The key, Vincent said, was the bridges. Did they have the capacity to add a third lane? NO
"Those bridges are 40 feet (wide) from wall to wall," he said. "Even if you had three 12-foot lanes, that would allow you four feet for a shoulder."

A tight fit, maybe, but a workable solution.
"It's still going to be safe," Vincent said. "The lane width will still be the same. We may have two 12-foot lanes and an 11-foot lane across the bridges and a minimal shoulder. But people drive across bridges every day that have less than a two-foot shoulder.
"These are very short bridges -- 200-250 feet long. Driving at 75 mph !!, you're only on that bridge for a couple of seconds."
Vincent said the widening will begin just west of County Line Road in Limestone County and stretch about 7 miles to the west to I-65. That means the two-lane sections in each direction on I-565 from Wall-Triana Highway to County Line Road will remain two lanes and some bottlenecking for rush hour traffic will likely still occur.

Vincent acknowledged that issue and said it remains on the ALDOT radar to address in the not-too-distant future. The highway can be widened to the inside, Vincent said, and ALDOT controls that right-of-way.
The I-565 widening is also still awaiting formal approval from the Federal Highway Administration, Vincent said.
and there it is, the get out of doing it card. If the FHA says no then what?
So that 100 million will be spent elsewhere south of the Tennessee River, granted the money wasn't there but now whatever was gonna go to I-565 will go somewhere else far away.
https://www.al.com/news/2019/04/how-...den-i-565.html

Wow! Having worked for a DOT in another state (and currently working for another state agency here in AL) this seems pretty "half a&&ed" and not a good solution at all. When will Alabama start realizing that temporary solutions are not the basis upon which to build a future?

Old 04-25-2019, 11:32 AM

508 posts, read 616,300 times
When will ALDOT consider upgrading North Alabama’s highways to interstate grade or building more interstates? I'm in Los Angeles, but all it’s going to take is another ten years of development or another 150,000 people and North Alabama is screwed in regards to traffic. Huntsville is literally a rising star city and Alabama refuses to fund transportation properly.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:05 PM

640 posts, read 698,097 times
Quote:
That means the two-lane sections in each direction on I-565 from Wall-Triana Highway to County Line Road will remain two lanes and some bottlenecking for rush hour traffic will likely still occur.

Insanity.

I'm sure glad the legislature raised the gas tax to fix all the roads elsewhere in the state.

We don't even get the US 72 widening that Mayor Battle signed a deal for years ago. Maybe they can pave those shoulders as well. The shoulders are just dirt, but that's good enough for ALDon't.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:16 PM

162 posts, read 180,124 times
A wreck can easily take out 2 lanes with this setup they want to go with. Don't even want to think of an 18-wheeler being involved. Yeah, it's pretty much what we thought. Alabama needs to get out of the 1950s. The state will not go back in time. It's time to move forward and do the things necessary to accomodate the people.

I-565 needs to be 4-5 lanes all the way out to I-65
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area