Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 11:09 PM

198 posts, read 250,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. That outlet was a let down. It is unlikely that Huntsville will get an outlet mall since two are planned for the Nashville area.
Is there some type of radius clause for outlet malls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 07:31 AM

294 posts, read 235,606 times
We used to go to the outlet mall in Boaz many years ago. Last time I went it was like a ghost town area.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:56 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
A trip to Boaz in the summer was always a sign that school was getting ready to start back. We made that pilgrimage every year, and I loved it! In hindsight, it does seem like an odd location for outlet malls, although it was always crowded back in the day. And I suppose there were fewer outlet malls overall, and they did actually have better prices, so it likely drew from Huntsville, Chattanooga, Birmingham, etc (maybe even Atlanta?).

The Leeds outlet mall seems to be doing fine, although it was doing much better before Covid. There are some storefront vacancies now. I'd guess the Foley mall does better. As someone mentioned previously, it pulls from a bigger tourism population in addition to locals.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:06 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
Two are being built near Nashville. One regular outlet in Antioch, TN and another being called “luxury outlet mall” but can’t find the location, just that it was going to start build in 2023.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on...g-to-nashville

Old 12-22-2022, 10:57 AM

764 posts, read 1,109,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Two are being built near Nashville. One regular outlet in Antioch, TN and another being called “luxury outlet mall” but can’t find the location, just that it was going to start build in 2023.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on...g-to-nashville
The tweet in the article says that the high-end outlet center will be built in the "market's southern high-income area." Translation: This means Williamson County which is probably the most affluent county in the southeast north of Palm Beach County in Florida. I think the median home price there is now approaching $700K (if not more than that). Williamson is the home of Brentwood and Franklin as well as a lot of unincorporated areas where many Country Music stars have multi-acre estates.

The Williamson County location of the high-end outlet center will be attractive to North Alabama shoppers as it will be about an hour and a half drive away.

Interesting note: Town Madison originally to have an outlet center component in addition to the "flagship Belk" and Cabela's. I guess they determined that there aren't enough shoppers locally to support an outlet mall and it's too far from I-65 to attract travelers. The proposed outlet center for Nashville that is not high-end will be located along I-24 (in the Antioch area) and will draw the millions of Midwest travelers who take I-24 as part of their trip to Florida. The high-end outlet center, on the other hand, will cater more to the high-income households in the local Nashville area, as well as those living in North Alabama who will have an easy drive up I-65 to get there.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:15 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
We used to go to the outlet mall in Boaz many years ago. Last time I went it was like a ghost town area.
We went there a few times many years ago. It was pretty good but nothing like the one down near Gulf Shores.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:16 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
A trip to Boaz in the summer was always a sign that school was getting ready to start back. We made that pilgrimage every year, and I loved it! In hindsight, it does seem like an odd location for outlet malls, although it was always crowded back in the day. And I suppose there were fewer outlet malls overall, and they did actually have better prices, so it likely drew from Huntsville, Chattanooga, Birmingham, etc (maybe even Atlanta?).

The Leeds outlet mall seems to be doing fine, although it was doing much better before Covid. There are some storefront vacancies now. I'd guess the Foley mall does better. As someone mentioned previously, it pulls from a bigger tourism population in addition to locals.
From my experience - the wives shop in Foley while the men play golf.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:53 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Senator Shelby going out with a bang. Alabama needs all the help we can get. If not us it goes someplace else.

Army Research – $17 billion for continued investment in transformational technologies to address modern and future Army warfighting needs.
Hypersonic weapons – fully funds Army hypersonic research, as well as an additional $60 million to develop a common hypersonic glide body and $50 million towards high energy laser development.
$2.6 billion for Space Launch System, of which $600 million is for concurrent Block 1B development, which is managed by Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville.
$110 million for nuclear thermal propulsion, which benefits Marshall Space Flight Center.
$652 million for FBI construction at Redstone Arsenal, which supports ongoing and growing efforts in Huntsville.
$44 million military construction project building a Physics Lab at Redstone Arsenal.
$52 million military construction project building Consolidated Warehouses.
$6 million military construction project updating Building 6231 at Redstone Arsenal.
$151 million military construction project for DIA/MSIC’s Advanced Analysis Facility Phase 2.
$11 million military construction project for Backup Power Generation.
$500,000 for the Invasive Species Mitigation Plan to begin the planning, design, initial engineering and project management for construction of carp barriers in the Mississippi River Basin, including the Tennessee River, and the Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway.
$27 million for the Fish and Wildlife Service to combat Asian Carp and enhance efforts in sub-basins of the Mississippi River, which includes key areas of Alabama in the Tennessee and Cumberland basins.
No less than $10.5 million, $3.5 million above FY22 enacted level, for the NOAA VORTEX-SE program, which is located at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:52 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
More info on the annexation. It will have a master plan developed for the site.
https://www.al.com/news/2022/12/hunt...cruitment.html
Athens annexes land

ATHENS, Ala. (WAFF) - The Athens City Council voted in favor of annexing 183 acres of unincorporated Limestone County between I-65 and Hwy. 31 on Thursday morning.

According to Athens Mayor Ronnie Marks, this will help city tax revenue.

“It gives us an opportunity to grow our tax base just like our surrounding sister cities choose to do. Most of the general fund revenue is made up of sales tax,” he said. “It buys police cars, garbage trucks. It’s the opportunity for us to say welcome aboard.”

He said the city is not buying the land, it has just been incorporated into city limits. All residents living on the land will become citizens of Athens, gaining access to city services in exchange for city taxes

Old 12-23-2022, 04:34 AM

34 posts, read 42,672 times
Alabamians made a big mistake. It doesn't look like a young new senator has an ability to get these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Senator Shelby going out with a bang. Alabama needs all the help we can get. If not us it goes someplace else.

Army Research – $17 billion for continued investment in transformational technologies to address modern and future Army warfighting needs.
Hypersonic weapons – fully funds Army hypersonic research, as well as an additional $60 million to develop a common hypersonic glide body and $50 million towards high energy laser development.
$2.6 billion for Space Launch System, of which $600 million is for concurrent Block 1B development, which is managed by Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville.
$110 million for nuclear thermal propulsion, which benefits Marshall Space Flight Center.
$652 million for FBI construction at Redstone Arsenal, which supports ongoing and growing efforts in Huntsville.
$44 million military construction project building a Physics Lab at Redstone Arsenal.
$52 million military construction project building Consolidated Warehouses.
$6 million military construction project updating Building 6231 at Redstone Arsenal.
$151 million military construction project for DIA/MSIC’s Advanced Analysis Facility Phase 2.
$11 million military construction project for Backup Power Generation.
$500,000 for the Invasive Species Mitigation Plan to begin the planning, design, initial engineering and project management for construction of carp barriers in the Mississippi River Basin, including the Tennessee River, and the Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway.
$27 million for the Fish and Wildlife Service to combat Asian Carp and enhance efforts in sub-basins of the Mississippi River, which includes key areas of Alabama in the Tennessee and Cumberland basins.
No less than $10.5 million, $3.5 million above FY22 enacted level, for the NOAA VORTEX-SE program, which is located at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area