Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:41 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,282,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
One more store that HSV got before BHM: The original Kate Spade at Bridge Street which was located where the present Michael Kors is. That store closed after a year or so as part of a nationwide store closing (20% of all Kate Spade stores closed at that time).

Later the Juicy Couture store closed and at the same time, they announced that Kate Spade would be locating in their space ( I guess Juicy was owned by K.S.) I think that all of the Juicy stores nationwide closed at that time.

Perhaps, you could say that HSV had a Juicy Couture store before BHM, too.

It is surprising that Coach has not opened their own store in HSV to compete with Michael Kors and Kate Spade for the women's handbag market. I guess they think that having two Belks and Dillard's selling their product taps the market.

It begs the question: How many women's designer brand handbags can be sold in North Alabama? I think that is the question that a Macy's or Von Maur is asking (as well as other apparel items)if they are being pursued as anchors for Town Madison. It's hard to see how Town Madison can get off the ground without a department store as an anchor - otherwise it will be just another Target anchored power center which there are three of in Madison County. Just more of the same. With two flagship stores, Belk owns the Huntsville market at the present time.
Juicy Couture was all the rage in the early 2000s, and then they saturated every market with pricey velour track suits until everyone got sick of them. IDK what happened to the company, but last time I was in a Kohl's store, they were carrying a much less expensive line of Juicy Couture stuff so that tells you all you need to know about them. (I'm secretly hoping for a Juicy comeback in a few years bc I still have 3 of their track suits in my closet and wear them around the house bc they are so comfy. Wouldn't wear one out in public anymore.)

The purse question....well, you obviously can't relate to the female love for purses! I was a purse fanatic pre-kids and could never have enough. I've scaled back quite a bit, but there will always ALWAYS be demand for nice purses. New styles coming out, new designers that are the hot item of the moment, etc. Like shoes, you can't have too many

The interesting thing about HSV area is that even though it's much smaller than Bham or Nashville, we have a very high average income population. (saw an article earlier this week that ranked HSV in top 10 income markets, adjusted for COL, etc.) You would think with all that disposable income in a low COL area, ANY retail would do great here, especially higher end. But engineers tend to be the practical sort and aren't into spending money on "things" to impress people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Amazon owns the Huntsville market.
How right you are!!!!

Old 06-09-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
"Having another option for Walmart just doesn't seem like a bragging right." SHIPT makes the value of Wal-Mart's service moot and SHIPT is very popular here. Might have something to do with why Wal-Mart hasn't bothered to implement the service here yet.

Yeah but this will be in Madison, so...
I see. Since HSV has a Wal-Mart option unavailable to Bham, it's "nothing to brag about". If it were the other way around, you'd be the first one to brag about Bham getting something else before HSV.
Good thing Shipt is so popular in B'ham, since you don't have the Wal-Mart option.

As for the Madison comment.....your jealousy is showing. Madison is a nice place to live & raise a family and have access to good public schools. How many murders has Bham had so far this week???

Old 06-09-2016, 03:07 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,765,772 times
Quote:
Well it is the "the most prime property in the Southeastern United States" so of course people from here will drive there to shop. Bentley was there to kick it off so what else do you need to know about a center that will have "places like a big-box electronics store, a hotel and several restaurants and boutiques are what developers are hoping to head into the space."

Maybe it will be a flagship Best Buy or HH Gregg that'll be heads and shoulders above the 8 or so locations of these two chains that have stores down here.

Seriously, though, it would be cool if they got a Fry's, but I doubt that would encourage a bunch of people from here to drive up there for.
I'd love to see a best buy here with a magnolia store. Buying decent hi Fi stuff means online.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:10 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,765,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Amazon owns the Huntsville market.
Pretty much.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:24 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,643,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I see. Since HSV has a Wal-Mart option unavailable to Bham, it's "nothing to brag about". If it were the other way around, you'd be the first one to brag about Bham getting something else before HSV.
Good thing Shipt is so popular in B'ham, since you don't have the Wal-Mart option.

Well, it was preguntas who pointed this out to you...so perhaps you should project your anger at him. I was just trying to help you out since you couldn't comprehend his statement. If I needed or desired Wal-Mart to deliver anything to me, maybe you'd be on to something. You'd see a lot more of me to get upset about if I pointed out everything that comes here before it does there, but there's plenty that passes under my radar.

Quote:
As for the Madison comment.....your jealousy is showing. Madison is a nice place to live & raise a family and have access to good public schools. How many murders has Bham had so far this week???

Ha. I don't know, how many? I think where I live is a better place to live & raise a family and my kids are in a great school, don't you fret none about me. But what's that got to do with Town Madison being in Madison, or me joking about IKEA being there instead of HSV in response to bmrisko? Is that just the ready to go insult you keep loaded and cocked if someone like me dares speak the holy name of Madison out of turn?

Old 06-09-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I'd love to see a best buy here with a magnolia store. Buying decent hi Fi stuff means online.
IIRC they had one here at the 280 location which is the biggest of the BB's in the area, but they have since closed it (the Magnolia portion, not the store). The strength of the local specialty stores I think were just too much for them to overcome. BB, I think, is still just hanging in there as Amazon/Crutchfield/Newegg etc seem to be their biggest threat and they aren't doing as much expansion as they used to be.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:31 PM

183 posts, read 226,657 times
Quote:
Yeah but this will be in Madison, so...
Yeah, well, the name is Town Madison. It's not entirely in Madison city limits. Hence the involvement of the Madison County Commission and others.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Well, it was preguntas who pointed this out to you...so perhaps you should project your anger at him. I was just trying to help you out since you couldn't comprehend his statement. If I needed or desired Wal-Mart to deliver anything to me, maybe you'd be on to something. You'd see a lot more of me to get upset about if I pointed out everything that comes here before it does there, but there's plenty that passes under my radar.

Honestly, I thought he meant "another Walmart option", meaning in addition to their super centers, their neighborhood markets, and their quickie gas marts. That's how I interpreted it.

I know Bham has lots of things that we don't!!!! I'm the one who pointed that out first in this thread regarding the county commissioner's statement! You just can't stand HSV/Madison getting ANYTHING (regardless of whether Bham has it) because you think it was obtained by preferential treatment or whatever. It tears you up! That is evident by the snarky & sarcastic comments you make about how many times Bentley comes up here, etc.

So Walmart has nothing you would ever want or need? I guess you do all your shopping at TJ's, Whole Foods & Sprouts .

Ha. I don't know, how many? I think where I live is a better place to live & raise a family and my kids are in a great school, don't you fret none about me. But what's that got to do with Town Madison being in Madison, or me joking about IKEA being there instead of HSV in response to bmrisko? Is that just the ready to go insult you keep loaded and cocked if someone like me dares speak the holy name of Madison out of turn?
Good for you. I'm glad you like where you live.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:54 PM

Here, lemme help you out...

Quote:
Honestly, I thought he meant "another Walmart option", meaning in addition to their super centers, their neighborhood markets, and their quickie gas marts. That's how I interpreted it.
K.
Quote:
I know Bham has lots of things that we don't!!!! I'm the one who pointed that out first in this thread regarding the county commissioner's statement! You just can't stand HSV/Madison getting ANYTHING (regardless of whether Bham has it) because you think it was obtained by preferential treatment or whatever. It tears you up! That is evident by the snarky & sarcastic comments you make about how many times Bentley comes up here, etc.
No, that's not it. I just said if the "big box electronics store" turns out to be a Fry's, that it would be cool. Hell, even though I was joking about flagship BestBuy, it would be cool if they put a Magnolia equipped BB there - now that Nole mentions it. But it is okay, I understand your need to exaggerate and selectively skip over certain things I say, like that, to support your narrative because I indeed have posted a bunch of snarky and sarcastic things that have gotten under your skin. That is fact. I own it. But, the fact that Bentley has come up there to endorse this "project" is worthy of that snark. Because, SO FAR, all it looks like to me is him being pimped by a shady land developer who donated money to his campaign. This vaporware center for all its pomp may or may not come about. It may or may not have some first to Alabama attributues. I'll get over that. What bugs me is it being helped along by a shady governor who is on the verge of being impeached and championed by a lot of people who look like hypocrites when they throw shade at other places outside of the Tennessee Valley. Maybe you can guess what one of those places is called. But besides all that, there's just not enough demand for a "Cool Springs-like" development there, a statement which they have backed off of.

Quote:
So Walmart has nothing you would ever want or need? I guess you do all your shopping at TJ's, Whole Foods & Sprouts .

I said deliver. If I cared to have them deliver to me. I did not say I never shopped there. Leaving out a word is problematic. But for the record, I don't much. I try to avoid it. We'd rather go to Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area