U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2016, 08:24 PM
 
338 posts, read 435,476 times
Reputation: 532

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Here, lemme help you out...


K.

No, that's not it. I just said if the "big box electronics store" turns out to be a Fry's, that it would be cool. Hell, even though I was joking about flagship BestBuy, it would be cool if they put a Magnolia equipped BB there - now that Nole mentions it. But it is okay, I understand your need to exaggerate and selectively skip over certain things I say, like that, to support your narrative because I indeed have posted a bunch of snarky and sarcastic things that have gotten under your skin. That is fact. I own it. But, the fact that Bentley has come up there to endorse this "project" is worthy of that snark. Because, SO FAR, all it looks like to me is him being pimped by a shady land developer who donated money to his campaign. This vaporware center for all its pomp may or may not come about. It may or may not have some first to Alabama attributues. I'll get over that. What bugs me is it being helped along by a shady governor who is on the verge of being impeached and championed by a lot of people who look like hypocrites when they throw shade at other places outside of the Tennessee Valley. Maybe you can guess what one of those places is called. But besides all that, there's just not enough demand for a "Cool Springs-like" development there, a statement which they have backed off of.
Actually, the plans for Town Madison have changed. Breland has hired urban plan Duany Plater Zybeck (the planner for Seaside, and the Village of Providence in HSV among a hundred other developments) to create the master plan. I can't see Andres Duany designing a run of the mill power center.


The focus for retail establishments has also changed.
"At the beginning, it was kind of the box-type stores, retail seems to be taking a different avenue," he said. "It's kind of more of a live, work and play mentality, so they're looking at a lot of different things and hopefully this master plan will define all that."


Here is a link to the article: Town Madison begins work with new developer, master plan expected within next month | WHNT.com


While Town Madison will never have the 15 story office buildings (and Nissan North America HQ)which Cool Springs has, conceptually it will be similar. Having Intergraph's HQ is a start to incorporating the Class A office space.


As far as Cool Springs Mall goes, it's not anything out of the ordinary. (It's not a high bar to reach - it has a flagship Belk which HSV has two of). All of the high end retail in Nashville has settled at The Mall at Green Hills (or within a half mile of it - the Hill Center is an example). There is rumor that Crate and Barrel is looking to find a site near TMAGH perhaps along Abbott Martin Rd. One advantage HSV over BHM is that Nashville is quite a bit closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2016, 07:08 AM
 
1,657 posts, read 2,422,497 times
Reputation: 2439
Why every time we have a thread about any developments in Huntsville, is it necessary for all this crap about Birmingham to get injected?

I would think by now it has been made fairly clear that very few of us care much about Birmingham. I don't live in Huntsville or Madison but Huntsville is where I primarily shop. When we want to go somewhere outside of our own market, we mostly go to Nashville, Chattanooga or Atlanta because to be quite honest with you most people outside of Birmingham despise Birmingham. I am just going to leave it at that as there is no need for me to go into details as to why we don't like the place. It is all fine and dandy to be proud of your hometown but this constant bashing Huntsville because of it's success is getting very tiresome.

Besides all of that, how may different named stores do we really need selling the exact same Chinese made garbage anyway? All these clothing stores sell primarily the same brands, some have their own in house cheap Chinese crap but who cares? I don't get the whole Ikea thing....I have been in one and it is full of cheap China made laminates over particle board most likely full of formaldehyde and lead like most everything from over there. You can get cheap furniture in a hundred other places and if you just have to have your cheap furniture from Ikea, they ship it anywhere you want.

Town Madison is most likely going to end up being another shopping center full of the same type stores, selling the same stuff we can already buy in about 10 other places around town. The whole upscale model is going to fall apart so you pretty much know it is now going to end up being things like Marshalls, target, a mattress store, a nail salon, another same old chain restaurant or two and the likes. They are talking the whole live, work, play thing which never seems to work all that well. I will be surprised if the overpass with the exit ramps actually get built anytime soon. It will most likely get delayed and delayed because this is a Madison project, not a Huntsville project so you aren't going to get any help from Huntsville in expediting the construction of the interchange. I really don't see any point in getting too overly excited about this shopping center at this point. Who knows, they may get lucky at some point in the future and attract something unexpected but I seriously doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 AM
 
1,355 posts, read 1,626,248 times
Reputation: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't get the whole Ikea thing....I have been in one and it is full of cheap China made laminates over particle board most likely full of formaldehyde and lead like most everything from over there. You can get cheap furniture in a hundred other places and if you just have to have your cheap furniture from Ikea, they ship it anywhere you want.
Yeah, but do the items have names you can't pronounce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,509 posts, read 1,227,424 times
Reputation: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't get the whole Ikea thing....I have been in one and it is full of cheap China made laminates over particle board most likely full of formaldehyde and lead like most everything from over there. You can get cheap furniture in a hundred other places and if you just have to have your cheap furniture from Ikea, they ship it anywhere you want.

I know, right? I'll admit, going to their stores is definitely an "event". And I had a kids' play table & chairs set (plastic, not wood) that seriously would not die. It was very, very sturdy for the price and we definitely got our money's worth out of it. But the "real" furniture? I'll pass. Seems like every other day there's a new Recall notice on something of Ikea's, mainly kids' shelves & chests/dressers because they tip over so easily if not anchored to the wall. That's too bad because a lot of people do choose Ikea for kids' furniture because it's cheap and you're not out a lot when they outgrow it or destroy it in a few years. But for me, the risk isn't worth it.


I think some people are big on the Ikea bandwagon because they think having one in your city proves you're a major metropolitan area, or some such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:31 AM
 
2,124 posts, read 1,388,728 times
Reputation: 1415
Ikea has some poor quality stuff and higher quality stuff. I'd like one solely on their cabinet selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,319 posts, read 10,143,526 times
Reputation: 9559
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Actually, the plans for Town Madison have changed. Breland has hired urban plan Duany Plater Zybeck (the planner for Seaside, and the Village of Providence in HSV among a hundred other developments) to create the master plan. I can't see Andres Duany designing a run of the mill power center.

The focus for retail establishments has also changed.
"At the beginning, it was kind of the box-type stores, retail seems to be taking a different avenue," he said. "It's kind of more of a live, work and play mentality, so they're looking at a lot of different things and hopefully this master plan will define all that."

Here is a link to the article: Town Madison begins work with new developer, master plan expected within next month | WHNT.com

While Town Madison will never have the 15 story office buildings (and Nissan North America HQ)which Cool Springs has, conceptually it will be similar. Having Intergraph's HQ is a start to incorporating the Class A office space.
Well that's great. The grandiose-ness and the scope can change or unfold from here in a hundred of different ways and it could turn out to be a very well designed and very well populated center as far as the quality of the tenants go. But as I said in my last post, that part doesn't matter to me nor does my happiness or mental stability depend on its success or failure. No matter what happens it will all still be based on the dealings of a possibly crooked governor who plays favorites with one of his cronies. If they pull it off and it is a success, wonderful. If it fails or doesn't live up to expectations, I won't be surprised.
Quote:
As far as Cool Springs Mall goes, it's not anything out of the ordinary. (It's not a high bar to reach - it has a flagship Belk which HSV has two of). All of the high end retail in Nashville has settled at The Mall at Green Hills (or within a half mile of it - the Hill Center is an example). There is rumor that Crate and Barrel is looking to find a site near TMAGH perhaps along Abbott Martin Rd.
I was mainly meaning the size and scope of it. They started out boasting 900K Sq ft of retail space. I think they've cut that back quite a bit since then. There are not enough sims in HSV area to dictate that kind of development. All flagship Belks are not created equal.
Quote:
One advantage HSV over BHM is that Nashville is quite a bit closer.
I don't see how that can be an advantage. It is a disadvantage in that retailers will look to locate in either BHM or Nash because they are much larger metros. HSV usually has to pay to get retailers to come there, for instance the amount Macy's and Von Mauer want. What Cabela's got. What Belk got just to move down the street and give you two consolation flagships in the tax dollars they extracted. This development needs an interchange and some site infrastructure work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
because to be quite honest with you most people outside of Birmingham despise Birmingham. I am just going to leave it at that as there is no need for me to go into details as to why we don't like the place.
We know why you don't like it. The demographics. I'm sure it is comforting for you to think that "most people" think that way, but thankfully that isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,509 posts, read 1,227,424 times
Reputation: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't see how that can be an advantage. It is a disadvantage in that retailers will look to locate in either BHM or Nash because they are much larger metros. HSV usually has to pay to get retailers to come there, for instance the amount Macy's and Von Mauer want. What Cabela's got. What Belk got just to move down the street and give you two consolation flagships in the tax dollars they extracted. This development needs an interchange and some site infrastructure work.


I think you missed his point, which I think he means is that HSV is at an advantage of B'ham because we are so much closer to Nashville....so we can go THERE for shopping, entertainment, etc. that HSV doesn't have. We're about halfway between the 2 cities, and why choose B'ham when we can get to Nashville in the same amount of time (or less)?


Birmingham can build all the retail, restaurants, craft beer places and loft apartment buildings it wants, but as long as it has a bunch of clowns running the city, and one of the highest crime rates in the country, it won't ever reach its full potential. You talk about the gov'ner being crooked....he has nothing on bham leaders! (past & present) If Bentley had cronies in bham promoting development, you'd be ALL for it. You just hate that North AL is getting his attention.


I'm sorry to tell you, but having the most "flagship" Belk stores or Trader Joe's or 2 Whole Food stores does not make one city superior over another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,319 posts, read 10,143,526 times
Reputation: 9559
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I think you missed his point, which I think he means is that HSV is at an advantage of B'ham because we are so much closer to Nashville....so we can go THERE for shopping, entertainment, etc. that HSV doesn't have. We're about halfway between the 2 cities, and why choose B'ham when we can get to Nashville in the same amount of time (or less)?
If that is what he meant, then it is a contradictory point in a thread about development in Huntsville. We don't drive to Nashville for anything retail. There's nothing up there that isn't covered here just as well. I hear about people going up there for the occasional concert or something, but to buy groceries, clothes or furniture? Lol, no. After the gulf coast, Birmingham/Jefferson co draws more tourism dollars and shoppers than any other place in the state, so no one here is too concerned with what "you" do as it hasn't affected the bottom line of retailers here. In short, the facts say you don't represent "we".

Quote:
Birmingham can build all the retail, restaurants, craft beer places and loft apartment buildings it wants, but as long as it has a bunch of clowns running the city, and one of the highest crime rates in the country, it won't ever reach its full potential.
And what would that potential be? All that is being built is being utilized because of overwhelming demand. And more is on the way, it speaks for itself and this rant of yours is weak. Madison leaders are the greatest though, I'll give you that. Oh wait...

Three Madison City Council members say they’re fed up, won’t seek re-election | WHNT.com

Quote:
Three Madison City Council members are calling for new blood in the council, but also in the mayor's office. Council members Tim Holcombe, Ronica Ondocsin, and Mike Potter said Wednesday they will not seek re-election for a council seat.
It's no secret Mayor Troy Trulock and some council members butt heads on issues that affect the city. We've already reported on their fight about a lack of communication before passing the 2016 budget. It continued with city manager possibilities, and then over the Donald Trump rally costs to the city of Madison.
"We've had a communication problem, and I've talked about that constantly since I've been in office," said Potter. "And it hasn't gotten better... He doesn't talk to us, he doesn't collaborate with us, he doesn't lead us, he doesn't communicate with us. And I'm not going to put up with it."
Looks like it isn't all cake and ice cream in the magic kingdom.

Quote:
I'm sorry to tell you, but having the most "flagship" Belk stores or Trader Joe's or 2 Whole Food stores does not make one city superior over another.
When talking about retail development, yeah it does. But hey, you think driving a couple of hours on the interstate to get to something I can get to in 20min or less is an advantage.

Last edited by Tourian; 06-10-2016 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Madison, AL
1,639 posts, read 2,715,718 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
If that is what he meant, then it is a contradictory point in a thread about development in Huntsville. We don't drive to Nashville for anything retail. There's nothing up there that isn't covered here just as well. I hear about people going up there for the occasional concert or something, but to buy groceries, clothes or furniture? Lol, no. After the gulf coast, Birmingham/Jefferson co draws more tourism dollars and shoppers than any other place in the state, so no one here is too concerned with what "you" do as it hasn't affected the bottom line of retailers here. In short, the facts say you don't represent "we".
Can you please tell me where I can buy an Omega watch in Huntsville?

I know there are hundreds of other brands not available in Huntsville, but that is what came to mind as I was looking to put my hands on a specific model and learned that Omega pulled all their inventory from Huntsville's last authorized retailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Madison, AL
234 posts, read 222,548 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I was mainly meaning the size and scope of it. They started out boasting 900K Sq ft of retail space. I think they've cut that back quite a bit since then. .
Recent article. Still 900k sq ft of retail and they've added 200 acres to the development since the initial announcement. I'm glad they aren't rushing this project.

Town Madison seeks new retail developer; master plan expected soon | AL.com

Quote:
Breland Companies is working with Wakefield Beasley & Associates, CMH Architects and urban planner Andrés Duany to create a master plan for Town Madison, which will feature 900,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment space, along with 450,000 square feet of offices, 2,000 residential units and 450 hotel rooms.
We're doing just fine here, and it sounds like you're doing fine in Birmingham. That's great.

Just another list putting Madison County at the top in Alabama.

Alabama has 67 counties. These are the 25 best | AL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top