Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:57 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,282,610 times

Advertisements

They were out in full force yesterday afternoon between USS&RC and Mad Blvd overpass. No unmarked vehicles, but saw 2 people pulled over & another police car parked under the overpass, facing west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 07:44 AM

300 posts, read 602,948 times
I saw them staging on and over the Jordan Lane westbound overpass and on-ramp last week.

Two words: radar detector.

Never a guarantee, but it helps you watch the watchers. You'll know the cops are there long before you actually see them (in most cases).

And Huntsville drivers are just bad. Plenty of ignorance of common traffic laws and driving way below the speed limit here. The way many people drive will easily get them killed in a major metropolitan area.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 AM

26 posts, read 23,642 times
I have lived in Alabama and several other states/cities. I can say that I know of no occurrence on I 75, or I 95 here in FL even around metro areas, whereby a state trooper is likely to issue a summons to a driver going 75 to 79 in a 70 zone. The threshold is about 80 or a full 10 miles per hour over the limit. Even then, if the FLOW of traffic is all going 75 or so, it's unlikely that anyone is going to be ticketed unless there is evidence of reckless or dangerous operation such as going in and out of different lanes.

The same thing applies on I 40 around Dallas, or I 10 . In California , you'll see everybody including chippies on I-5 consistently driving over 80 to 85, and NOBODY gets ticketed, because in these places they know how to drive "with the traffic". The WORST brain-dead, dangerous drivers I ever encounter on any interstate is I-65 around Birmingham, 459 also near the junction, and I-240 around the eastern segment of Memphis- maybe the worst of all time.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:20 AM

561 posts, read 1,505,186 times
You know it's bad when the state has to spend tax dollars to post signs advising drivers to turn headlights on when raining and to safely move over for emergency vehicles! I don't know what happened to common sense driving.

Yes, you can get a ticket for impeding traffic. The left lane is for passing, amazing how many people think that as long as they're doing the speed limit, they don't have to move over.

Good to see the police effort to slow the speed down, and that is NOT a speed trap.

Safe travels everyone..../

Old 06-18-2016, 12:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,332,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
You know it's bad when the state has to spend tax dollars to post signs advising drivers to turn headlights on when raining...
Turning your lights on when raining has not been a law in Alabama that long, so the reminders are appreciated and they have helped.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:12 PM

561 posts, read 1,505,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Turning your lights on when raining has not been a law in Alabama that long, so the reminders are appreciated and they have helped.
Yeah, I know that the law has only been around a short time, what I'm commenting on is that they HAD to make a law......I'm glad the posted signs are helping, but seriously, it's sad that some drivers have to be told to do such a common sense thing....

What many drivers don't seem to realize is that the driver of a big truck CANNOT see you in the rain splash back coming off the truck, so without lights on you are invisible on the road. Headlights are not only for seeing in the dark, but to make sure others see you in low light and rainy conditions.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:32 PM

300 posts, read 602,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Yeah, I know that the law has only been around a short time, what I'm commenting on is that they HAD to make a law......I'm glad the posted signs are helping, but seriously, it's sad that some drivers have to be told to do such a common sense thing
This. It's ridiculous. I was in Ft. Payne and saw a sign that said "Roadway is Slippery When Water is on Road" and I thought "now there's a thought!"

Old 06-19-2016, 06:46 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnbam View Post
This. It's ridiculous. I was in Ft. Payne and saw a sign that said "Roadway is Slippery When Water is on Road" and I thought "now there's a thought!"
I know what you mean. I was driving in Yosemite national park where I saw many signs saying "Watch for Rocks". I said to myself how stupid to trade watches for rocks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area