Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 02:01 PM

17 posts, read 19,350 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some light on what all the disputes between Madison City, Huntsville, Limestone County over the tax dollars actually might mean for the folks that live west of County Line -- or Madison City/Limestone County? Besides the obvious loss of tax dollars, I mean. Is there any chance that those areas might ever be taken back out of Madison city school systems? We are looking at buying a house and my son will start kindergarten in the fall of 2017. I don't want to even bother looking over there if there's some chance that rezoning outside Madison city will happen. We want to be in the city limits for the school system. I realize the obvious solution to this is to buy east of County Line but I want to know what I'm looking at here. We love Heritage Provence (if anything would ever become available out there) but it's Limestone County. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 03:37 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWall_0410 View Post
Can anyone shed some light on what all the disputes between Madison City, Huntsville, Limestone County over the tax dollars actually might mean for the folks that live west of County Line -- or Madison City/Limestone County? Besides the obvious loss of tax dollars, I mean. Is there any chance that those areas might ever be taken back out of Madison city school systems? We are looking at buying a house and my son will start kindergarten in the fall of 2017. I don't want to even bother looking over there if there's some chance that rezoning outside Madison city will happen. We want to be in the city limits for the school system. I realize the obvious solution to this is to buy east of County Line but I want to know what I'm looking at here. We love Heritage Provence (if anything would ever become available out there) but it's Limestone County. Thanks!!
Deannexation would be out of the question, so I don't know how they would remove those areas from the city school system.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:16 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
No, no chance of any areas being deannexed out of Madison.

You'll just basically be sending your tax dollars to Limestone County and their schools until this is resolved. If they cannot resolve it, you'll probably see taxes in Madison go up to recoup lost tax dollars from the Limestone residents.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 PM

17 posts, read 19,350 times
Thanks!! I appreciate the responses!

Old 12-12-2016, 02:49 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Seems like the court-ordered mediation may be bearing some fruit:

Limestone tax dispute could be resolved soon | Limestone County | decaturdaily.com

Hopefully the parties can come to a solution. It just doesn't seem right that Limestone County and Athens school systems pocket money for students who attend other school systems. And I expect that Limestone County makes money from all of the development that Huntsville and Madison have stimulated, both in and out of their city limits.

Limestone County schools complain that they have to educate the students in the county areas that Huntsville and Madison don't want. Madison County schools have to do the same, and they seem to do it just fine.

"Athens and Limestone school officials have argued the cut would be devastating for their students.
In one court filing, they argued the defendants were blind to the plight of the Limestone County Board of Education, whose borders are constantly annexed while they still educate every child in unincorporated parts of the county that Madison and Huntsville do not find desirable."

The above statement is a bit over the top, as Madison and Huntsville can only annex willing property owners, and Madison's annexation options are severely limited as they are now surrounded by Huntsville city limits.

As to the possibilities of de-annexation, I was here in the mid eighties when the "annexation wars" started. Almost every night on the news, a major annexation would be announced. Athens City and Limestone County governments were both very unhappy.

At that time, there was talk of voting in a metropolitan government for Limestone County. That would have dissolved the annexed areas of Decatur, Madison, and Huntsville in Limestone County as those municipalities are all based in Morgan or Madison Counties.

But I expect the ship has sailed long ago on that possibility. Our local legislators would bottle it up in committee, and as the populations of Madison and Huntsville grow in Limestone County a vote might fail. I would bet those populations would vote almost unanimously to stay in their respective cities and would not want to be abruptly reverted into unincorporated Limestone County.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Seems like the court-ordered mediation may be bearing some fruit:

Limestone tax dispute could be resolved soon | Limestone County | decaturdaily.com

Hopefully the parties can come to a solution. It just doesn't seem right that Limestone County and Athens school systems pocket money for students who attend other school systems. And I expect that Limestone County makes money from all of the development that Huntsville and Madison have stimulated, both in and out of their city limits.

Limestone County schools complain that they have to educate the students in the county areas that Huntsville and Madison don't want. Madison County schools have to do the same, and they seem to do it just fine.

"Athens and Limestone school officials have argued the cut would be devastating for their students.
In one court filing, they argued the defendants were blind to the plight of the Limestone County Board of Education, whose borders are constantly annexed while they still educate every child in unincorporated parts of the county that Madison and Huntsville do not find desirable."

The above statement is a bit over the top, as Madison and Huntsville can only annex willing property owners, and Madison's annexation options are severely limited as they are now surrounded by Huntsville city limits.

As to the possibilities of de-annexation, I was here in the mid eighties when the "annexation wars" started. Almost every night on the news, a major annexation would be announced. Athens City and Limestone County governments were both very unhappy.

At that time, there was talk of voting in a metropolitan government for Limestone County. That would have dissolved the annexed areas of Decatur, Madison, and Huntsville in Limestone County as those municipalities are all based in Morgan or Madison Counties.

But I expect the ship has sailed long ago on that possibility. Our local legislators would bottle it up in committee, and as the populations of Madison and Huntsville grow in Limestone County a vote might fail. I would bet those populations would vote almost unanimously to stay in their respective cities and would not want to be abruptly reverted into unincorporated Limestone County.
Many cities span multiple counties. I don't see why it's such a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area