Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,290,675 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me the pros & cons of both? This is the first mayoral election in Madison I will participate in. Trulock has been mayor the whole time I've lived here. Why did Finley jump in at the 11th hour? What's going on?

I'm not trying to start a big debate...I just want some perspective from both sides.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 03:47 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,243,269 times
Finley was urged by many, many in the community to throw his hat in.

Trulock has shown an unwillingness to work and communicate with the city council. Paul Finley always had a healthy working relationship with the council. I don't necessarily think Trulock has been bad for Madison, but he has led to a lot of frustration on the city council and many not running for reelection. I think as far as his approach to the day to day business of the city, Paul Finley was more successful.

Paul Finley and Troy Trulock are friends. I know Paul Finley did not take this decision lightly, as he fully endorsed Trulock when he ran in 2012. I'm sure things are quite awkward at Asbury on Sunday mornings.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:29 AM

580 posts, read 820,999 times
Both are far better than that idiot realtor mayor we had years ago. What an incredibly stupid person.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 AM

635 posts, read 687,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
Both are far better than that idiot realtor mayor we had years ago. What an incredibly stupid person.
I see your point, but he may not have been as stupid as we think - how did an army man who was never an officer manage to build that enormous compound on Mill Road.

David

Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
I see your point, but he may not have been as stupid as we think - how did an army man who was never an officer manage to build that enormous compound on Mill Road.

David
He's not talking about Sandy Kirkendall.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 AM

635 posts, read 687,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
He's not talking about Sandy Kirkendall.
Ah - Actually, I thought he was talking about our old friend Yancura, but see I missed the realtor reference which I expect means Ms. Wells.

Do you remember the Yancura estate on Mill Road?

David

Old 07-27-2016, 06:11 PM

Nope, that was before my time here....haven't ever heard much about Yancura, but I know about how bad the other two were!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:12 PM

493 posts, read 708,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Ah - Actually, I thought he was talking about our old friend Yancura
It has been quite some time since Charles "Chuck" Yancura was in office. He served two terms (1992-2000).

I remember when his home on Mill Road was built, I think that was in 1996.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 AM

183 posts, read 227,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
It has been quite some time since Charles "Chuck" Yancura was in office. He served two terms (1992-2000).

I remember when his home on Mill Road was built, I think that was in 1996.

I remember his wife running over me with her cart in Foodland to buy day old pies, because she was "they mayor's wife" and in a hurry.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:45 AM

295 posts, read 440,858 times
Paul Finely did a really good job of improving a lot of things in Madison when he came into office, especially since there were many years of not-so-good "leaders" before him. He was visible in the community and I know that he had a reputation for listening to residents, no matter where they fell on the "somebody" scale. A good friend of mine who owns a very small business said that Finely stopped in more than once to get to know her, her business, and her opinions. He also worked hard to get Madison and Huntsville on friendly terms.

I was hopeful for Trulock but was disappointed that he didn't seem to be open to the public at all. Communication has been a real sore spot with residents but especially with the city council. I can see someone who's not as outgoing might not be out and about in the community, but when the mayor doesn't work well with the city council and leaves them in the dark, that's bad news. (One huge example is the Trump visit that the council didn't know about until it was a done deal a couple of days before the event. It was a madhouse getting the city prepared with security and logistics. I'm not sure if it was ever resolved, but the city was out ~$30,000 that Trump's campaign refused to pay. I've heard lots of rumbling about other communication problems but those are hearsay. The Trump deal was a huge news story.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area