Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:00 PM

7 posts, read 12,096 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We have a job offer and are looking to move to HSV area from very rural area in the west (as in, "no stoplights in the county, drive 90mi to McDs, deer get right-of-way" rural). I've never lived in or near a city before, and so this will be a change for me, but not my spouse. Where would be good places to look at renting?
Here are our needs:
1. Excellent schools, esp elementary (have school-aged kids, no special needs)
2. Safe: crime especially, but also fewer tornadoes, floods, or anything else that AL specializes in
3. Ideally 30 minutes or less commute from HSV downtown, no more than 45 minutes
4. Price range: home prices $200-300K, rent $1000-1500.
And some wants:
1. Larger lots (have 3+ kids and dog who need room to run)
2. Rural feel, if possible

I've heard Madison is best for schools...is that city or county district?
Anything else I should learn about before moving across the country?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 06:09 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,228,114 times
When referencing schools, "Madison" would refer to Madison city schools. However, you are not going to get that "rural" feel in Madison city, and you are going to be hard pressed to find larger lots...not impossible, but hard to find.

I would personally look out in the eastern part of the county in the New Market area, Buckhorn High/Riverton Elementary school...enough amenities that you are not having to come into HSV for everything but still has nice areas with a good rural feel, and property is not as expensive as in the city areas so you can get more land. Hazel Green/Meridianville/Toney is going to feel pretty rural in parts, but that is an area that tornadoes tend to track so consider that. East Limestone is also another nice "rural" area but again...tornadoes track there and it is going to be pushing your commute time to downtown HSV, would just depend where you are.

I would definitely try to rent first so you can get a good feel of the area before you bite the bullet and purchase a home.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,910 times
You should also consider the Monrovia area just north of Madison City. Very low crime and a safe area for kids. I will also note that for the best schools you should search for homes zoned for Madison County (Legacy, Endeavor, Monrovia). I know because I am selling my home and will remain in the area because of all the items you listed. PM me and I can share the MLS number of a listing you might be interested in

Last edited by hsvnole; 08-03-2016 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 12,096 times
Thank you for the information!

New Market and Meridianville were mentioned to my husband by his employers as good places to look at. I know "rural" is kind of a long shot with the commute, but hope springs eternal.

@hsvnole, I appreciate the offer, but I think we're going to rent for a year, since we are so very new to this area of the country. Good to know about Monrovia.

How bad/common are tornadoes there? Should it be a major concern, or am I fearing what I do not know? HSV was rated #1 Tornado city according to my Google search.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:35 PM

301 posts, read 331,457 times
Google Hampton Cove. You are welcome.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 PM

458 posts, read 613,116 times
I live in Meridianville and I can easily be downtown in 15 minutes. I really like the whole eastern half of the county. We know quite a few parents in the Madison County schools and all are happy. Tornadoes can be a problem though if you look at the historical maps.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:07 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,083,786 times
There are some beautiful homes with larger properties south of Huntsville in Lacey's Spring. Not a far jaunt into Huntsville.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:12 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,083,786 times
There are certain paths that tornadoes frequently take due to terrain. I have family in Madison/Harvest area that seem to be right in the path of many of them. Where I live, we had one come close once, but that was it. Somewhere in this forum someone once posted a map with the most frequent paths. I'll try to find it. Many of us moved here from elsewhere and had the same trepidation as you but it is something you get accustomed to and take the usual precautions. If you own a home, you can have a storm shelter put in (many do). Some areas have hurricanes, some...fires, earthquakes...we get the tornadoes.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:18 AM

154 posts, read 157,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
There are certain paths that tornadoes frequently take due to terrain. I have family in Madison/Harvest area that seem to be right in the path of many of them. Where I live, we had one come close once, but that was it. Somewhere in this forum someone once posted a map with the most frequent paths. I'll try to find it. Many of us moved here from elsewhere and had the same trepidation as you but it is something you get accustomed to and take the usual precautions. If you own a home, you can have a storm shelter put in (many do). Some areas have hurricanes, some...fires, earthquakes...we get the tornadoes.
This is not accurate. Tornadoes do not follow paths due to terrain. Also, there are no models that predict future paths... regardless of how many times they have hit an area in the past.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:38 AM

301 posts, read 331,457 times
If you look at a map of tornados in the Northern Alabama are you can clearly see a pattern in the tracks of tornados. The mountains absolutely push tornados to the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area