U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:57 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,122,997 times

Advertisements

Jwisconsin: My daughter is in an accelerated gifted program--since 3rd grade--and is in one of the nation's "top" school districts. We too were impressed with Grissom's academics (22 national merit scholars this year!). I spoke with a counselor in BJHS personally who came to that area from ours 4 years ago--she counselled here as well--and she is THRILLED with BJ. You won't go wrong either way--it's exciting to make the changes. My biggest problem with Grissom was lack of affordable newer housing and the school building. Our daughter was with us for the tours and she made the final call--she's a rising 9th grader and she felt more comfortable with one more year in a Jr. High. Me too! I did a lot of research and BJ did receive an award for being in the top % nationwide. Plus their drama department is fabulous which is a biggie for my girl.

Good Luck! I don't think you can go wrong. And if you are looking at Discovery MS and BJHS check out the Rainbow Landing area for housing. Gorgeous!

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 AM

25 posts, read 65,376 times
Buckhorn is a great school. The area is very welcoming and I don't find the people snobby at all. (we moved here three years ago) Have never felt that there was a clique that we weren't a part of. If you are a parent who likes to get involved with your child's educational journey, you'd fit in great out here.

The main road (Winchester) is slated for expansion, and there is the new Harris Hills Development that will be here in the next couple of years, easing the need to travel over Chapman Mountain for things.

There are plenty of brand new homes being built and range from low cost to higher end homes. Although there aren't a ton of restaurants, you do still have a choice. Anywhere from McD's to Mama Mia's to Ole Hickory BBQ to El Mariachi to From the Grill and others. A new ice cream store is expected to open soon along with a new Mexican restaurant.Publix is out here as well as a locally owned store (Food Valu) and Kroger down the road.

I love the Grissom area (mainly Jones Valley), but the design of the school isn't the greatest. There are parking issues, the way the tennis courts are lined up and the location of the football field/baseball field are all challenging. I'm sure everyone there is used to it because it's all in what you are accustomed to.

I've heard nothing but good things about Bob Jones. Not familiar enough with the area though. We just knew we wanted Buckhorn and haven't regretted our decision at all. Now if a Target comes out our way, it'll be perfect. :-)

Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 PM

262 posts, read 712,868 times
So...where are the Targets there...and how many are there?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,780,004 times
No Targets out NE yet, hopefully coming to Harris Hill (US72 and Moores Mill). Currently only Valley Bend at Jones Valley and University Drive at Research Park.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 PM

12 posts, read 35,175 times
I've had a lot of not so nice reactions when we tell people we are moving to Alabama. Mainly about the educational system and Alabam's ranking. I tell them that Huntsville is different and nationally rated. Does anybody have any comments about that.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:12 PM

We found a cool website with the info spread out Madison/Hville vs rest of Alabama -- it's like a mini Big City in Alabama--all the median info re: education, cost of living, house prices, education--much higher than rest of AL... I'll look it up and zip it onto the site when I find it.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 PM

25 posts, read 65,376 times
I went through the same thing...."You're moving WHERE?" and to be perfectly honest with you, I felt the same way as well for awhile. Unfortunately, Alabama, along with some other southern states, does not have the best reputation.

But, Huntsville is definitely different. It's become quite a transient area so many of the people who live here aren't necessarily from here. It's really becoming a more progressive city (albeit alittle slower than some cities), but it's getting there. Bridge Street has been a huge plus mark for the city. The fact that there are more engineers in the city of Huntsville than any other in the country is a pretty big deal. There are a lot of very smart people living in Huntsville and I think that one day, this city will get the respect it deserves. Many magazines and polls are already ranking it highly and hopefully, it'll only get better!

I don't think you'd regret a move here. My husband is from Wisconsin, I grew up in Florida and we've lived in Boston and we're pretty content here. *s*

Old 02-28-2008, 05:18 AM

Yeah, we have had to deal with derogatory remarks here as well--but I KNOW we are going to get the same or better educationally and I KNOW Huntsville is centrally located to a lot of cool bigger cities like Nashville, Birmingham, and Atlanta. So what if other people dont' get it... it's their loss and our happy secret! I can't wait to head south again. And Bob Jones got great ratings nationally as did Grissom which as 22 National Merit scholars this year--my girl's top ranked district HS here in Ffax can't even begin to boast that!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM

262 posts, read 712,868 times
I do not put much stock in the number of National Merit scholars any given school has. That is more a test of intelligence vs. education. One would assume that the parental involvement and genetics were as much at play as where the child went to school.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 AM

But being in an environment that encourages uses those genetics certainly aids in the process. Kids who are bright and not encouraged by their peers to be that way either hide or stick out in their school environments. I think that any school that promotes its academic excellence in addition to other qualities or activities makes it easier for students to desire academic achievement. That's why the GT program in FX County works: the students bring out the BEST in each other and welcome academic competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area