U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 AM

12 posts, read 35,170 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the area soon. I have been researching both schools and I'm torn. Grissom has the higher test scores, but they say it is very over crowded. BJ test scores are much lower, but I keep hearing how great it is. We are coming from a small school with very high act and state test scores. We will be visiting both on Friday I'm hoping to get a good feel for one. I'm overwhelmed and need imput please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:48 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,654,135 times
They are both excellent schools. The decision you need to make is what area you want to live in.

For Bob Jones, you would be living in Madison. It has a big suburban feel to it. A lot of newer subdivisions, but you can also find homes that are 15/20 + years old. Close proximity to everything including the Arsenal and Research Park.

Grissom, you would be living in SE Huntsville. There are mostly older homes there, with newer ones thrown in there as well. More of a city type setting. Again close to everything as well.

These two areas, Madison and SE Huntsville are two of the most desirable areas down here. You really can't go wrong with either, it is just really a personal preference. Price is also a factor as far as what area in those school districts you want to live. If you need anymore information, feel free to contact me.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,772,665 times
Bob Jones has National Champion cheerleaders, Grissom has more National Merit Scholars

Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 AM

848 posts, read 2,060,085 times
Not to add to the confusion, but Huntsville High is actually a pretty good high school as well. And I really love the Blossomwood area of town which feeds into HHS. Older homes, but well maintained and located at the rolling foot of Monte Sano. Of course, Huntsville's most beautiful historic districts are all located in the HHS zone as well.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 31,469 times
Default local schools

Although there are a lot about schools you can't see from "scores" this is the current info I found.

Bob Jones- great school rating 7 - population grades 10-12 is 2056
Grissom - great school rating 10- population grades 9-12 is 1980

so between those although Grissom is "overcrowded", Bob Jones actually has the larger student body..I personally think they are both getting a bit crowded...mainly because they will continue to rise

a few other local schools
Huntsville High School - great school rating 9- population grades 9-12 is 1265
Sparkman High School- great school rating 7 - poulation grades 10-12 is 1626
Athens High School - great school rating 8 - population grades 9-12 is 820

I would consider the kind of area you want to live in, the grade your child/children are in(because these numbers are all going up consistently), and what is important to you (ex. a very athletic child who wants a "chance" to play even if they are not the best of the best, an academically gifted child who needs programs to excel, etc.)

I think the area schools are all "good schools", with a high focus on education...depending on how small of a school you are coming from you might consider the numbers.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 PM

24 posts, read 146,509 times
By the way, who is the Bob Jones that school was named for? Hopefully not the same as in Bob Jones Univ in Greenville, South Carolina.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM

298 posts, read 1,032,396 times
I personally prefer SE Huntsville. The older neighborhoods are gorgeous. Others are right, you need to go with your personal preference--whether you are more into a new suburban area or older, more established homes. Grissom has always been an excellent school. Your kids would get a great education there. I don't think Bob Jones is quite as stellar. However, I'm sure that they would get a great education there as well.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Jones, Robert Emmett, Jr., a Representative from Alabama; born in Scottsboro, Jackson County, Ala., June 12, 1912; attended the public schools and was graduated from the law department of the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, January 7,1937; was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced practice in Scottsboro, Ala.; elected judge of Jackson County Court in July 1940; re-elected in absentia in May 1945 and served until October 1946; served in the United States Navy as gunnery officer in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters from December 1943 until February 1944; elected as a Democrat to the Eightieth Congress, by special election, January 28, 194, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of John L Sparkman; re-elected to the fourteen succeeding Congresses and served from January 28,1947 to January 3, 1977; chairman, Committee on Public Works and Transportation (Ninety-fourth Congress).
Robert E Jones: A Biographical Sketch (http://www.redstone.army.mil/history/jones/bio_sketch.html - broken link)

Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,628,467 times
I think when discussing overcrowding you need to look at the size of the school, i.e. what the projected size of the school was when it was built. I have no information on the actual schools listed, but I would say that if a school has had to resort to use of portables that is more significant than the actual number of students at each school. Case in point - my son graduated from a highly rated high school in Texas that had over 3000 students in grades 10-12. All classes were in the one building with no portables.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Grissom has capacity of 1400 and student population of 1955 - overcrowded by 555 students. I don't have similar info for Bob Jones.

Overall, HSV City Schools have ~37K capacity and ~24K students, lots of empty seats (40%). Butler HS is at one third capacity, Johnson HS is at about half capacity, Columbia / New Century is full, Huntsville is full, Lee HS is at about half capacity.

Same story at MS and ES levels.

The fuller schools are usually the better schools - I guess success breeds success. Plus consider transfers from failing schools - those schools are in a death spiral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area