Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:35 AM

301 posts, read 331,574 times

Advertisements

I have to think there will be a lot of money going into acquisitions. Additionally the Army is going to grow from 450k to 540k. That's a pretty large increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:16 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,865,453 times
Army at the Redstone is primarily civilian employees doing acquisition and R&D. Not sure that number will increase.

Trump has said during his campaign that he will reduce the size of Federal government by attrition and limited hiring. But he has also said that he will strengthen our military, create jobs and rebuild our infrastructure. He does not have a strong position on NASA but he will not cut its budget.

I don't see any drastic changes for Redstone. Overall, this is a welcomed election result than the alternative. It's good for Alabama. It's good for the country.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:48 AM

64 posts, read 71,969 times
A 20% increase in the military side is likely to also be a 20% increase on the civilian side. That said, they may already be at that number and may just mean that they will no longer offer early retirement incentives.

Huntsville and Redstone come out fine either way.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:40 AM

301 posts, read 331,574 times
Dont forget our guy Sessions did his job and got in early with Trump. He may be the new SECDEF. Even better for us.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:27 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,766,971 times
I really think this whole situation is so unpredictable, it's impossible to say.

If he were to do everything he says he's going to do, it would involve a LOT more spending and debt than a Republican congress is likely to be comfortable with. (He talks about spending big time on military, education, infrastructure, immigration, etc, while at the same time cutting taxes and reducing government size. Good luck with that, buddy!)

However one position he has voiced that I think he's actually sincere about is isolationism, and isolationism generally means more of the military spending goes to R&D=Good for Redstone and Huntsville. But again, not sure at all how Republicans in congress (or the Dems in congress, for that matter) are going to react to an isolationist approach to foreign policy.

I really think it's impossible to know what will happen.

Last edited by toosie; 11-11-2016 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Deleted broadest strokes about campaign and national politics

Old 11-10-2016, 08:49 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,778,307 times
I agree with zenjenn. It is TBD how the election will effect Huntsville.

So I have a question. I work in the defense industry in Huntsville. What about the last 8 years has been so awful for Huntsville and the Redstone Arsenal? The hatred for Obama is deep yet Huntsville has grown and improved steadily. Downtown has improved greatly, the research park is growing, real estate has weathered the downturn and construction is booming. The Arsenal has literally exploded with jobs and funding. Huntsville remained largely insulated from the economic downturn compared to other parts of the country, almost solely due to federal funding. Can someone explain this to me?

Last edited by toosie; 11-11-2016 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Deleted broad strokes about trump - not local area

Old 11-10-2016, 11:19 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,865,453 times
Trump is not an isolationist. He emphasized we need to consider American people & American interest FIRST. That is not the same as being an isolationist. He does not oppose international trades. He just want to negotiate better trade deals than out sourcing American jobs and America's future.

Those of us who are white collar aerospace workers may feel we are immune from this issue. Just imagine if they can out source aerospace engineering jobs to Mexico. All of us will be unemployed. Well, that is what the entire rust belt felt for over 20 years. So now even the Detroit autoworkers voted for Trump. Do not think this will not happen to us. Boeing out sourced many commercial aircraft non-manufacturing jobs to India. DoD are gradually relaxing on buying foreign-supply parts, this is effectively taking away US aerospace jobs. Think about that every time you step onto an Airbus plane.

Trump will rebuild our military. He is strongly pro Israel. All these should imply increased funding for Defense & Redstone should benefit from this.

Huntsville has indeed benefited from Defense spending last 8 years, but you will be mistaken thanking Obama. You need to thank the Republican Congress & Shelby, Session, and Mo Brook of the Alabama delegation. They fought & defended Alabama aerospace & defense funding.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:26 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,766,971 times
Quote:
Trump is not an isolationist. He emphasized we need to consider American people & American interest FIRST. That is not the same as being an isolationist.
Fair enough. Let's say *relatively isolationist*. We're kind of hyper-interventionist right now, so going down to say, normal-interventionist is still a very significant scale back of military involvement, which is something both Republicans and Democrats are inclined to resist; Republicans even moreso, so I'm not sure how much a Republican congress will support his vision (insofar as much as he has one, who really knows?) for US military involvement.

But for the sake of argument, IF military spending were increased while military involvement were decreased, it would be good for military R&D and thus good for Huntsville.

But it's a lot of speculation at this point. He says a lot of things impulsively and without much detail, and has no public office history to scrutinize for clues, so it's going to be a SURPRISE!

Old 11-11-2016, 12:06 PM

18,935 posts, read 11,526,287 times
if this thread has a chance of surviving here you'll all need to stay very narrowly on topic of the local area. Remember too that the election wasn't just for president - Alabama voted for U.S. senators and representatives, as well as other offices and ballot measures.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:00 PM

12,628 posts, read 9,142,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
Dont forget our guy Sessions did his job and got in early with Trump. He may be the new SECDEF. Even better for us.
I think that would definitely be a plus for Redstone and Huntsville. I read today though that the retired Lt General (forget his name) may get that job, but would need a waiver from congress since he hasn't been out long enough to take the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area