Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 PM

410 posts, read 696,209 times

Advertisements

I don't mind when they're overcautious and cancel school when it's lightly snowing or the radar shows it a couple of hours away. But I'd prefer they make the call at 5am the morning it's supposed to happen, not 4pm the night before it snows.

In my opinion, the governor declaring a state of emergency for almost the entire state yesterday caused places that should not have cancelled (Madison County, City, HSV) to cancel way too early. If declaring a state of emergency is the only way to get pre-emergency funding released to be ready, then they need to add a new "prepare for emergency" state to allow a small amount of funding to be released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 PM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
Had to drive to the Nashville airport this morning and it was pretty messy up there. But, on the way home, it was already clearing up, even in Nashville.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:32 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
The response to weather, or rather, possible weather is beyond the absurd. An entire state shut down for the threat of a dusting.

Then I see parents happy that they canceled everything yesterday instead of doing it at 5 or 6am. As if that is going to make a difference. They are only happy because they are extremely selfish and don't want to turn on the alarm clock in the morning.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
So it looks like the snow we were supposed to get tonight ain't happening. The northerly moisture out of Texas fell apart.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
The response to weather, or rather, possible weather is beyond the absurd. An entire state shut down for the threat of a dusting.

Then I see parents happy that they canceled everything yesterday instead of doing it at 5 or 6am. As if that is going to make a difference. They are only happy because they are extremely selfish and don't want to turn on the alarm clock in the morning.
Birmingham got significant weather. For Madison county, the school closing and arsenal closing was premature, imho. The meteorologist got it wrong I think for our area, but the models were all over the place.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Birmingham got significant weather. For Madison county, the school closing and arsenal closing was premature, imho. The meteorologist got it wrong I think for our area, but the models were all over the place.
My comment about absurdity still stands.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:58 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I thought the reaction last night to be excessive, but there is no "win" in these situations. Nobody got hurt, there was a bit of waste of time. You can figure out the inverse if there had been slick roads. It is ONE day. I can deal with that without getting my panties in a bunch.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I thought the reaction last night to be excessive, but there is no "win" in these situations. Nobody got hurt, there was a bit of waste of time. You can figure out the inverse if there had been slick roads. It is ONE day. I can deal with that without getting my panties in a bunch.
Sure, however, by closing the arsenal, while all civilians get that paid day off, contractors have to burn a vacation day.

Not so much getting panties in a bunch, but rather excessive and annoying.

Oh to be a weatherman. Actually, all of this sky is falling crap would go away if they just got rid of them.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Had to wait an extra hour at the doc's office yesterday as they were calling afternoon appointments in earlier (so their employees could beat he blizzard home) and the whole office was backed up. I swear people in this area are freakin' idiots when it comes to the S-word...

Old 01-07-2017, 06:00 AM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
This country is lawsuit happy. Sue for anything. Closing the schools could save us millions in tax dollars if one child is injured in a bus accident. So close it all down. Drink hot chocolate. Enjoy our Alabama blizzards for what they are. There are much bigger issues in the world to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area