U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM
 
568 posts, read 1,191,937 times
Reputation: 162

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
So no problem. You obviously know the rules on how to get in.



Fire Code. Note that there is a Fire Code exception for hot chicks. Also crowd control / ambience / etc. Bouncing is an art...



Thugs are bad for business, start fighting and stabbing and shooting, and threaten the clubs existence (many bars / clubs have failed because of thug crowds). If a black male doesn't want to be screened out because he looks like a thug - he should dress better and act right and bring women. Or go to a different bar.

You've already noted that black males can get in clubs without problems, so race isn't the issue. Dressing and acting like thugs is the issue.
Do you think standards should be applied differently to people based on race? Why should I have to bring women with me when I go to a bar or club when this isn't a requirement for everyone They give me trouble and I'm certainly not a thug, especially when I'm with another group of black males who they automatically assume are thugs but we just all happen to be engineers. How can you claim a shirt that I have on is too long when you let white males in with shirts twice as long. I never said black males can get in without problems, I said they have to meet twice the requirements to get in without problems and only if they are not with other black males, thats not what I would call there isn't a race issue at all there. I was trying to reason that maybe they aren't racist its more of a stereotype thing that they are trying to get thugs out and just assume most black males are thugs. They are right to try to keep thugs out I don't want them in there either but APPLY THE SAME STANDARDS FOR EVERY RACE as far as admission is all I say. It was a place in Tuscaloosa called the Venue that used to do this all the time too and somebody ending up and coming back and shooting the place up. I've went out to bars in other cities, Colorado, Phoenix, I never experience this to the level I have here and in Tuscaloosa.

 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
 
3,253 posts, read 5,181,909 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Do you think standards should be applied differently to people based on race?
Absolutely not, and I'd apply that philosophy across the board, not just at clubs.

Quote:
shooting the place up
Your comment helps prove the point. Thug-looking guy can't get in and starts shooting, good thing they didn't let him in...

Look, I know your point of view is different from mine, but I've seen the same restrictions at black clubs in DC and NOLA. No team shirts, no hats - basically no thugs.

I said 'bring women' to be helpful. I used to go to clubs too much. I learned that bringing women not only helped get me into clubs, but I could put the women on 'my tab', and the bartenders wouldn't charge me for their drinks. Make sure you tip well. Plus, if you get to know the bouncers, your odds of getting in increase.
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
 
568 posts, read 1,191,937 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Absolutely not, and I'd apply that philosophy across the board, not just at clubs.



Your comment helps prove the point. Thug-looking guy can't get in and starts shooting, good thing they didn't let him in...

Look, I know your point of view is different from mine, but I've seen the same restrictions at black clubs in DC and NOLA. No team shirts, no hats - basically no thugs.

I said 'bring women' to be helpful. I used to go to clubs too much. I learned that bringing women not only helped get me into clubs, but I could put the women on 'my tab', and the bartenders wouldn't charge me for their drinks. Make sure you tip well. Plus, if you get to know the bouncers, your odds of getting in increase.

Your suggestions are pointless and don't change the fact that they treat people unfairly, you are either in denial or missing the point those restrictions are probably applied equally across all people in other places, but its not at Sammy T's, you'll never know unless you have experienced it or seen it. Basically what it sounds like you are saying is, black males need to do more not to be stereotyped instead of Sammy T's just applying equal standards to everyone. I care nothing about getting tabs, and bartenders and all this other random mess you mention. All I say is apply the same standards to everyone like I have seen in most clubs, as I said before I don't dress like a thug and I have been singled out many times when trying to go to Sammy T's.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-04-2008 at 12:34 PM..
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
 
3,253 posts, read 5,181,909 times
Reputation: 1897
Here's a suggestion that's not 'pointless': don't go to Sammy T's if you feel unwelcome.

How can you miss the point that black clubs have the same restrictions? Are they racist? Duh. Are they stereotyping? You bet. Why? Because thugs can ruin your business. Do the clubs make mistakes? Maybe, but better safe than sorry.

Quote:
black males need to do more
There is some truth in that. Start by not killing each other. Consider the murders in HSV last year - it's dangerous to be a black male - and the danger comes from other black males, who probably dress and act like thugs.

Quote:
I care nothing about getting tabs, and bartenders
That's your problem. You don't even try to be part of their community and yet you expect them to welcome you. Good luck.
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
 
22 posts, read 58,374 times
Reputation: 13
It's true that people don't realize that something is an issue or problem unless they've experienced it for themselves, and been directly affected by it. I totally understand what you're saying (Huntsville_Secede). I hope that enough people will step-up and complain, and force these clubs to change their rules and treat people more fairly in the future. I personally will not give those clubs even one cent of my money until they change the way they do things!

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Jessica
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
 
568 posts, read 1,191,937 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Here's a suggestion that's not 'pointless': don't go to Sammy T's if you feel unwelcome.

How can you miss the point that black clubs have the same restrictions? Are they racist? Duh. Are they stereotyping? You bet. Why? Because thugs can ruin your business. Do the clubs make mistakes? Maybe, but better safe than sorry.



There is some truth in that. Start by not killing each other. Consider the murders in HSV last year - it's dangerous to be a black male - and the danger comes from other black males, who probably dress and act like thugs.



That's your problem. You don't even try to be part of their community and yet you expect them to welcome you. Good luck.
They aren't stereotyping maybe you don't understand the definition of stereotype. They are setting standards that have to be followed by everyone that enters. That is totally different than what is going on at Sammy T's which on the other hand won't let a black male in with the same shirt on as a white guy. And wtf does black males killing have to do with the many who don't and are professional and classy. Once again you have shown that you approve of stereotyping people based on the actions of others. What are you talking about being a part of the community... I was talking about this discussion had nothing to do with drinks or bartenders, THATS AFTER YOU GET IN A CLUB.
 
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
 
568 posts, read 1,191,937 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I know a couple black guys who are regulars at Sammy T's. The difference is they don't dress like idiots. Sorry, but if a 170lb guy is wearing an XXXL shirt and pants with a 40in waist, he looks like an idiot. Club owners have a right to have a dress code, I just hope they apply it consistently regardless of race. This sounds like a case for the WAFF Investigators!
I agree club owners have a right to have a dress code if you read what I've said 1000 times I just want the dress code to be applied consistently which I've seen them not do countless times.
 
Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
 
568 posts, read 1,191,937 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I agree club owners have a right to have a dress code if you read what I've said 1000 times I just want the dress code to be applied consistently which I've seen them not do countless times.
I'm not the only one that has had this experience some people do some don't but don't discount the people who do... I only say all this because It disgusts me when people try to make me seem delusional because of me pointing out the race issues at sammy t's. Just so you know I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I still say that race relations in Huntsville are very good though so don't be discouraged to come to Huntsville because of that.

ClubRatingz.com - Ratings for Nightclub Sammy T's

Some comments from people who have seen this type of discrimination i'm talking about



over all like this club, we go a lot because we do generally have a good time there, but for all of you who are tired of hearin the "black card bs" here is some more, well first of all i am white, and me and a few of my "white" girl friends went along with one of thems husband who is black and my cousin who is a guy but he is white also, ok the black guy that was with us was wearin almost the exact same shirt as my cousin and they gave him hell about it and didn't say a word to my cousin. this black guy was dressed VERY nice, and i just think it was pretty crappy how the bouncer acted! they need to lighten up a little cause if something bad is goin to go down well the people will find a way for it go down no matter what they are wearing.

Visited a friend and he took me to this club was ok at first, following week we tried going back, thats when it started. I was wearing a polo shirt and the doorman looked me over and told me "your shirt is too long" I had to change it. We asked him, can I tuck it in, nope u need to change it, to say the least I was stunned. My shirt was just as long as my friend's shirt, yet he was allowed in and I was asked to change my shirt. ALL I WILL SAY IS I AM BLACK AND HE IS NOT. Spoke to a cop outside, and he basically agreed that this sort of behavior is allowed. The first time the security told us to tuck our shirts in, the whites guys in lin before us were told nothing about their shirts hangin loose. Its crazy that this is 2007 and they can get away with this crap.

The music can be ok, sometimes. I'm a white female and at the door they are sooooo ****. I've watched them turn away so many african americans and hispanics. Its disgusting. But then again, that's most of north alabama for you.

This was a good club when they were letting EVERYBODY in now if you black pretty much you cant get in. They only enforce the dress code to african americans and hispanics. they will make up any excuse not to let anyone in if they are not white. the crowd is pretty good if you get a chance to get in but for the owner and the people that work there thay are **** except for that one black quy that works there selling hot dogs and picking up trash.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-04-2008 at 01:33 PM..
 
Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
 
3,253 posts, read 5,181,909 times
Reputation: 1897
From your ClubRatingz link:

Quote:
my husband is black and he has never had a problim getting in....i think its how you project yourself
Quote:
As far as not letting people in its not limited to one race its just thugs in general are not allowed in. Get tired of hearing the poor old black guy BS. The thing is if they let just anyone in and the thug ratio gets overloaded the good customers that actually have money and don't start trouble will leave and then the club goes out of business. What do you think happened to 721, Axis, 115 etc.If you are not getting in its your fault. Make the changes necessary and you will get in. One hint, if you have dreads stay home. Like it or not its a thug look.
Quote:
Oh, and they DO enforce the dress codes to EVERYBODY not jus the blacks and hispanics.
Quote:
Regarding dress code... I was refused the 1st time I ever went, and I'm white.
 
Old 03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
 
568 posts, read 1,191,937 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
From your ClubRatingz link:
Yep People's opinions all I'm saying is there are many people out here that don't think they are doing it fairly based on race who are white and black. Also most of those people don't have examples to back up their statements they just say it... and that last guy that was refused his first time also said he can't say anything about discrimination he just knows they didn't let him in the first time. Of course not everyone is going to have that experience. Once instance where somebody says their husband was let in and he was black doesn't disprove the countless examples where people have been discriminated against. I'm all for dress codes a lot of those people who aren't let in probably shouldn't be let in but don't apply your dress code where the same shirt is acceptable when one race wears it and not when the other does. Just apply your dress code equally across racially lines and you will see no complaints.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-04-2008 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top