U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,775,114 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the support deesonic and ghett61.

Disclosure - I know deesonic in real life - his comment is right on.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 AM

287 posts, read 380,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
What I think Reactionary is saying is that a club for "non-ghetto" black people is a fairly tight demographic for some entrepreneur to take on and make money, especially in a smallish town like Huntsville (sorry KE, it IS small). Instead of waiting around wishing someone would fulfill your fantasy, go out and make it happen yourself. Whether you believe it or not, I doubt there are club owners who say, "Hey, I'm gonna open a club that appeals to trailer trash white folks today." And I doubt even more that someone, especially a white person, is going to say, "Hey, I'm gonna open a club for the 'non-ghetto black folks' of this town!" You cater to interests and consider your potential to make money, not whether you are taking care of a very select group like "non-ghetto black people." What does that even mean? I like to hang out in pubs that appeal to 'non-trailer trash white folks' and 'non-ghetto' any race myself. Oh... and I also like non-smoking establishments.
What makes a non-ghetto black person different from any other person? How about just treating people like skin color does not matter. How about something like money or intelligence. Why is there a line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
If you walk into a bar and the majority of folks are white, drinking Bud Light, and the band's playing 'Freebird' it may not appeal to many black folks. But that doesn't mean it's not 'black friendly.' Most bar/club owners open places that they themselves would like to hang out in. So a guy who loves Bocephus and Skynyrd probably isn't going to open a club that has hip hop and house music playing all night.
Is the because black folk don't like rock music right? You should get out and get to know real black people before making stereotypical assumptions.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,771,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinDiesel View Post
wow. It is a shame that anybody defends these clubs. Dreadlocks are not a sign of a thug. They are actually a cultural hairstyle stemming from other countries. It is a shame the black style must be considered thug style. There are many white guys that go in all of these clubs and dress in an urban style, sometimes over doing the baggy clothes. They get away with it. I am black and I'm a regular at all of these places. I go for the crowd and not the staff, but even i have been turned away. I dont dress like a typical "thug" aka "black person" from Alabama. I have a NY style which is more close fitting and casual, and i have been denied on nights when i was basically wearing skinny rocker jeans and a tight Good Charlotte t-shirt. I was caught off guard, cuz i never had a problem getting in, but then it happened on about 3 different occcasions. Once when i was dressed in an express button down and shoes. I have style. I know how to dress. But the reality is, thgey wont let a black person in if they can find a reason not to. I had to have a 1 one 1 with one of the bouncers so that he would let me in. I brought ppl from out of state and they didnt get let in. Why should u have to befriend a bouncer or know somebody to get in if you're black. Its not right. I've been to the Horse several times and they told me i needed a collared shirt or it was a private party, but when i told them I knew the bartender Julian, they let me in. Or i got a shirt from my car and get inside and see white guys dressed way worse than me in Bama t-shirts and hats and they have no problem getting in. It's a shame. But this is Alabama. Coming from New York, where all u need is a valid ID and the proper clothes to get in anywhere, it doesnt make sense to me. There shouldnt be a selective dress code. White guys shouldnt get to wear hats when a black guy cant wear his cuz the bill is flat. Thats a racist rule. No flat bill hats? But u can wear one thats curved? I got kicked out of line for wearing a brand new hat in there when i saw many dingy Alabama "A" hats in the building. Its a shame that this board exists, but for all you who believe black people are just looking for a complaint, so sorry for you. There's too much racism in Alabama, and its 2010! My girl basically got disowned for dating me, and I'm no thug.
They only do mess like this in Alabama I have been to what would be considered mixed or primarily white clubs all over the United States and world and never experienced in such an extreme fashion the kind of out outright policies to try to discourage black males from coming in the clubs that I do in Alabama primarily Huntsville and Tuscaloosa. I rarely have had a problem getting in anywhere besides here even if its a really selective club where they are turning guys away like crazy. The rest of the world realizes that obviously nothing about me is in any way thuggish.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,775,114 times
dmagoku = "You should get out and get to know real black people before making stereotypical assumptions."

You should quit digging. Deesonic knows 'real black people'.

Also, note that your comments are misdirected:

dmagoku = "What makes a non-ghetto black person different from any other person? How about just treating people like skin color does not matter. How about something like money or intelligence. Why is there a line?"

How about directing your outrage at the posters who want a 'non-ghetto black club'? I'm perfectly content treating people like skin doesn't matter - read my posts - when someone asks about good schools or good restaurants I don't say this is a good 'white' or good 'black' school (except when a 'racist' poster asked about 'good black' schools).

What's the difference between me saying that young black men should stop killing each other and Bill Cosby saying it? Is Cosby more 'authentic' and therefore has the 'authority' to say the same things I say, but I'm not permitted to say it? I don't live by liberal double standards.

I called you a liberal because c-d doesn't allow me to call you an asshat. If I've offended you by calling you a liberal, set me straight...

Huntsville_secede - "They only do mess like this in Alabama" - wrong. For example, why would the movie 'Knocked Up' have a scene in which the black bouncer says he has to limit the number of black guys admitted to the club (in Los Angeles) if it is only an Alabama 'mess'.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,771,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
dmagoku = "You should get out and get to know real black people before making stereotypical assumptions."

You should quit digging. Deesonic knows 'real black people'.

Also, note that your comments are misdirected:

dmagoku = "What makes a non-ghetto black person different from any other person? How about just treating people like skin color does not matter. How about something like money or intelligence. Why is there a line?"

How about directing your outrage at the posters who want a 'non-ghetto black club'? I'm perfectly content treating people like skin doesn't matter - read my posts - when someone asks about good schools or good restaurants I don't say this is a good 'white' or good 'black' school (except when a 'racist' poster asked about 'good black' schools).

What's the difference between me saying that young black men should stop killing each other and Bill Cosby saying it? Is Cosby more 'authentic' and therefore has the 'authority' to say the same things I say, but I'm not permitted to say it? I don't live by liberal double standards.

I called you a liberal because c-d doesn't allow me to call you an asshat. If I've offended you by calling you a liberal, set me straight...

Huntsville_secede - "They only do mess like this in Alabama" - wrong. For example, why would the movie 'Knocked Up' have a scene in which the black bouncer says he has to limit the number of black guys admitted to the club (in Los Angeles) if it is only an Alabama 'mess'.
Read what I said. I said in such an extreme fashion sure it occurs in other places but not to the level i've seen here. I don't have a problem getting in clubs in most other places because I'm usually not thought of as a thug except here. Sure you believe in assimilation but assimilation doesn't necessarily require other cultures to have to completely drop their unique culture and identity as you are suggesting.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-24-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,837,974 times
This thread is over 2 years old. The topic is about interracial couples not about clubs in Huntsville. Attacking each other is not in the spirit of this board and will not be tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area