Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 01:08 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,590,939 times

Advertisements

Comcast had been advertising a 2 Gbps (GigabitPro) residential internet plan in Huntsville for at least a year now but I bet they got few takers. It was to cost $300 per month with about a $1000 upfront fee.

Is the announcement of a new 1 Gbps internet plan at an unknown rate just fishing on their part or they really serious now about competing with Wow, AT&T, and Google Fiber in Huntsville?

Comcast will offer gigabit Internet in Huntsville (2/14/2017)
Comcast will offer gigabit Internet in Huntsville | AL.com

As an example I noticed that Comcast only decided to become competitive with gigabit internet in Chicago after they received real competition from Google Fiber.

Comcast’s $70 gigabit deal is shockingly difficult to sign up for (8/23/2016)
https://arstechnica.com/information-...-in-real-life/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
All I know is that everyone I know that has had comcast hated them. Their rarely got the internet speeds they were paying for and the cable tv was flaky. Does anyone really expect them to be able to pull off reliable 1 or 2Gbps, when they can't even pull off standard services reliably? Plus their customer service is notoriously lousy.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:00 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,590,939 times
Another question is how many people are willing to pay for gigabit internet? I remember reading about Chattanooga being disappointed in how few people signed up for their gigabit internet. That was two years ago. Maybe things are different now in Huntsville.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:08 AM

266 posts, read 396,566 times
I just think that there is a limited market for those that are willing to pay more than $100 a month for internet. Its not that people don't want gigabit internet, they just don't want to pay more than $100 a month for it.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM

125 posts, read 165,629 times
Can't say I've really had the reliability and speed issues others have had with Comcast, BUT I'm not a fan of their data caps, "customer service" and bait & switch sales tactics.

I think it mostly comes down to the infrastructure in the area. I had Knology/Wow in an area with older lines and it was absolutely horrible. I'd only get a tiny fraction of the speed that was advertised and that's when the connection didn't drop. I moved to a newer area with new lines and am getting more than the advertised speed and have have very few outages.

Saying that, how often do you actually see download speeds near the speed of your connection? Most content providers cap download speeds for balancing. Is gigabit actually worth paying more just for the speed?

Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
Even Decatur is getting into the fiber optic access, at least for commercial, government, and non-profits. Officials hope fiber optic expansion helps diversify Decatur's economy | Decatur | decaturdaily.com

Old 02-20-2017, 05:41 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,791 times
I've been dealing with issues for 3 weeks now with Comcast. I may hit up att fiber.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:40 AM

12,958 posts, read 9,467,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton79 View Post
Can't say I've really had the reliability and speed issues others have had with Comcast, BUT I'm not a fan of their data caps, "customer service" and bait & switch sales tactics.

I think it mostly comes down to the infrastructure in the area. I had Knology/Wow in an area with older lines and it was absolutely horrible. I'd only get a tiny fraction of the speed that was advertised and that's when the connection didn't drop. I moved to a newer area with new lines and am getting more than the advertised speed and have have very few outages.

Saying that, how often do you actually see download speeds near the speed of your connection? Most content providers cap download speeds for balancing. Is gigabit actually worth paying more just for the speed?
I used to have the "12-15" with Wow!, and very seldom got the speed I was paying for. More often than not, it down around 2.

I went to the 25-30 plan, then a year or so ago they increased everybody and now I'm on their 60 up, 5 down plan. I get 65 consistently except during "rush hour" in the evenings, but even then it's about 50. So I have no complaints, except price. They are very high. Internet plus a landline telephone is about $115. But I have no qualms with their customer service ... you always get someone in the US that speaks English, and you get them pretty promptly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area