Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,914 times

Advertisements

Trying to look into Huntsville from out of state, and came across this thread from 2014 (http://www.city-data.com/forum/35785367-post4.html) where @Corelysium drew out a map with areas to avoid:

My question is on the area covered by the little box at the bottom (roughly bordered by Redstone to the W, Green Cove Rd to the S, Sandhurst Park to the E, and maybe Clovis Road to the N). Its not far from Farley Elementary.

I'm guessing the poster called it out because they said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
... And I don't consider those shanties off Green Cove to be good.
Does that area have a particularly high crime rate, or does anyone know why it would be called out as an area to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 AM

283 posts, read 375,418 times
No clue. Seems like a neighborhood full of modest houses, ringed with some newer builds.

Your best bet is to check things out for yourself instead of relying on other people's opinions, as they may have biases that could make things a bit murky.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:55 AM

138 posts, read 155,985 times
My best friend lives in this area and has for 13 years. They have never had any issues with crime. They are not tidy, well kept homes and some of the near by neighborhoods are nicer, newer developments.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
My daughter had lived there for several yrs before moving to Ga 2 yrs ago (having bought her first home there while single) and I know a few people in that area. No problems at all. She (we) regularly took walks all over the neighborhood there.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,914 times
Thanks everyone! I couldn't see any issue myself so this really helps.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:28 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
That map has been cross posted in multiple threads. If memory serves me right, one thread discussed that area being in a flood zone.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:41 PM

57 posts, read 65,522 times
I just turned 20 and know quite a few people from across the city due to high school. That neighborhood wouldn't be considered a " bad area ", but to your average suburban kid, it would be what they call "sketchy". A lot of the kids that went to Grissom High and fell into the pill and heroin crowd live over there. Just some domestic violence problems with junkies from what I've seen and heard, couple drug over doses.

Since it's closer to the water you got some of the river rats and meth heads from around Lacey Spring coming up there for copper and something to scrap, but that seems to attract itself more towards the area of Hobbs Road and South Memorial Parkway, and it's not an everyday thing. I live in North Huntsville and I'm able to pick up signs of an area going down hill. When I look at South Huntsville as a whole, excluding the Golf Road area , I think areas in close proximity to the parkway south of Mountain Gap Road, have slowly started to deteriorate. It's not entire neighborhoods, but a couple streets in each neighborhoods, usually closer to the major roads. I have a friend that moved from West Huntsville around Bob Wallace and Triana Boulevard, to the are of Hillwood Road and Mountain Gap Road, near the Parkway and Walgreens. They're Puerto Ricans and moved away to get to a nicer neighborhood. That was in 2009 and now he's getting mad because he's starting to see some trouble makers from his old neighborhood doing drug deals in plain sight and a couple times they've even had beggars and scammers walking their streets, which is something I'd not expect to hear about happening off Mountain Gap, I'd expect to hear about that wear I live, off Oakwood and Pulaski Pike.

So all in all, no those aren't bad neighborhoods, but they seem to be the first section of south Huntsville to make a descent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area