Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 05:48 PM

38 posts, read 32,565 times

Advertisements

I am a Black male, Electronics engineering / repair and test tech in my fifties in Portland Oregon and looking for a relocation. No, I am not a liberal hipster but a Libertarian, looking for a diffident political climate than the over regulated West Coast that making too restrictive and expensive to live, for example my studio went from $640 to $989. I tired of almost being homeless due to a stagnant height tech job market.
The question what the market like for High tech hardware jobs. How is public transportation, it will be a while before I can afford a car. Finally about race and discrimination, I seen an article about temp agencies , but am I right to take these articles with a grain of salt?

Let say I'll take steady good paying job over cool weather and NW culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
Some call Huntsville the engineering capital of the south because of the number of engineering jobs in this city. You should be able to get a decent paying job here if your qualifications meet the demand. As far as public transportation, there is a bus system here, but Huntsville is fairly spread out so a car might be a need. We also have Uber and Lift is coming but I can't imagine depending on that for daily transportation. As far a race, if you are qualified, I don't think race is an issue. Welcome to Huntsville.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
As far as I can tell, race is not an issue here. YMMV, but this is a very diverse city.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Thanks I never thought of returning to the south but when I check Indeed and the first hit was a job I did in Portland until December It is a good sign.

https://career2.successfactors.eu/ca...ipeline=Indeed

The issue is I just miss rent payment and the clock start to an eviction end of the month. If that happens I put everything is storage and throwing in the towel for the west coast. if the job market going make me homeless then it time to do the age old thing and move to better hunting grounds. By the way I am a military Veteran there are programs to help me to find housing.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:51 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Public transportation is pretty much non-existent. You have to have a car to live here.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Public transportation is pretty much non-existent. You have to have a car to live here.
Thanks that is a showstopper for me.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:12 AM

301 posts, read 333,741 times
Shouldn't be. Huntsville is an amazing place to live, and with your education/experience you would be an attractive candidate.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:45 AM

640 posts, read 698,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
There is the Huntsville city shuttle system. It's enough to get you around some areas of town during the week.

https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/develop...ransportation/

Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
The trick would be to live within walking/biking distance of your work place. But you'd still have to be able to do essential shopping ... grocery, etc. You might not want to be evicted from your current place for lack of rent payment though. I can imagine that wouldn't go over too well when you're trying to rent again.

You could get a serviceable car for very little money, and in the end it'd probably be cheaper than taking taxis or riding the bus. It's certainly more convenient.

Acceptance by others around here is based more on how a person acts, not what color they are.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:33 AM

266 posts, read 396,904 times
If you don't own a car then you are going to be SOL living here in Madison County. The city is so spread out and the shuttle bus system is a joke. If you have ever lived anywhere that had true public transportation and you moved here you would wonder if they have any busses at all. I have been here 4 years and only found myself behind a bus less than 4 times. In New York I would get stuck behind busses all the time. For the first two years that I lived here I never once saw a shuttle bus and wondered if they had public transportation.

Counting on Uber and Lyft to get you around in place of a car is probably going to be cost prohibitive before too long.

Don't expect to live close enough to work to bike or take the bus. While this area does have small pockets that are bike friendly, the vast majority isn't too bike friendly. Besides you don't want to artificially limit your job search.

The good news is that owning a car is probably a lot cheaper here than in the Northwest. There are no yearly safety inspections, car insurance is cheap, housing is cheap, gas is cheap, and there are a lot of high mileage cars available on dealer lots as opposed to auction houses. You would be amazed at how common it is to see a car with 130,000 miles on a dealer lot here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: