Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 AM

638 posts, read 695,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And how much is the state bribing Toyota and Mazda to come to Alabama? They had to shovel money to get Daimler Benz here to the extent that it blew a hole in the budget.
I'll have to say it was well worth it, bringing Daimler into the state has been huge and paved the way for these other plants. Whatever was spent on Daimler has been repaid many times over.

In retrospect, we owe Little Jim Folsom some big thanks for that. He took a lot of heat at the time, but it was the right thing for the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And how much is the state bribing Toyota and Mazda to come to Alabama? They had to shovel money to get Daimler Benz here to the extent that it blew a hole in the budget.
Weird that someone from California would lecture Alabamians on fiscal prudence. https://ballotpedia.org/California_state_debt

Given that Daimler Benz paved the way for a ton of auto suppliers, along with Honda, Hyundai, and now Toyota and Mazda, it was money well-spent. It's also worth noting that the payroll taxes for four separate auto plants and their constellation of suppliers more than offsets whatever we gave Mercedes.

Alabama now has a supply chain and string of technical colleges that a state such as North Carolina couldn't match. Add low property taxes, low corporate taxes, less expensive electricity, and saner environmental regulations, we offer a complete package that's like catnip to those kinds of manufacturers.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 PM

410 posts, read 695,605 times
Maybe they really should build the Oasis It's getting busy out there.

Development still in planning stages touts luxury hotel and conference center in Huntsville | WHNT.com

Old 01-11-2018, 01:57 PM

508 posts, read 615,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Maybe they really should build the Oasis It's getting busy out there.

Development still in planning stages touts luxury hotel and conference center in Huntsville | WHNT.com
It would be incredible. Very beautiful.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,467,634 times
The Oasis would be nice, but it's pretty much off the table now as I understand.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,590,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
I wonder if this announcement will encourage the completion of the Greenbrier Parkway. When complete it is supposed to go north and merge with Huntsville-Brownsferry Road and end at I65.

With Polaris coming, Huntsville speeds up construction of new road connecting I-565 and I-65
With Polaris coming, Huntsville speeds up construction of new road connecting I-565 and I-65 | AL.com
"The city also included $100 million in indirect costs for the completion of Greenbrier Parkway and improvements to Alabama Highway 20, which provides the southern border for the plant site."

Huntsville approves $320 million incentive package for Toyota-Mazda plant | AL.com

Old 01-12-2018, 06:30 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,573,449 times
Quote:
"The city also included $100 million in indirect costs for the completion of Greenbrier Parkway and improvements to Alabama Highway 20, which provides the southern border for the plant site."

Huntsville approves $320 million incentive package for Toyota-Mazda plant | AL.com
I-565 expansion will have to be an additional project as it is not directly tied to Toyota/Mazda.
The amount of truck traffic alone at Greenbrier exit will be significant from Polaris, Target, Toyota on the north and Ge Aviation and FedEx on the south.
I expect a large portion of Toyota truck traffic will take Greenbrier Parkway directly to I-65

Old 01-12-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Hopefully Madison and Limestone County's incentives include the improvement of Huntsville Brownsferry and associated bridges from County Line to the Greenbrier Parkway connection.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:47 AM

638 posts, read 695,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The Oasis would be nice, but it's pretty much off the table now as I understand.
I think the Oasis was just a mirage.

Quote:

That's an odd comment about Alabama Highway 20, as I think that designation ends at the I-65/I-565 intersection. Perhaps they meant Old Highway 20.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 AM

It's pretty crazy that this pictures is only of the 1,250 acre original megasite location. Now we know the site size (with space for future expansion) is about 2,500 acres.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area