Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:17 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Huntsville 's first mall, it opened in the 1960s.
DeadMalls.com: The Mall: Huntsville, Alabama
My family and I went there once in the early 1980s. I remember Loveman's was already closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 04:45 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,735 times
Didn't it become The Fountain or something? I remember going to Toys R Us as a kid, but even then the rest of the mall was kind of a ghost town.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
I remember it. Used to go to Loveman's frequently. Well.. all of them,, lol. I was younger and it was a mall. Down the road from Traylor Island.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:11 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Huntsville 's first mall, it opened in the 1960s.
DeadMalls.com: The Mall: Huntsville, Alabama
My family and I went there once in the early 1980s. I remember Loveman's was already closed.
I first came to Huntsville in June 1966. As I recall, The Mall was opened in April 1966. It was THE place to go at the time, and was full of people constantly. I'm pretty sure that the two anchor stores were Loveman's and JC Penney, one of which later turned into Books a Million. The Mall, along with the Parkway, was pretty much the undoing of shopping in downtown Huntsville. It was a pretty large shopping center in its day.

And yes, it was later dubbed The Fountain but basically all that's there is Home Depot, a fountain, and Costco.

There was also Dunnavant's Mall and the Heart of Huntsville, but both of them were quite small.

Huntsville has changed a lot since then with monstrous suburban sprawl, but downtown still looks pretty much the same ... tiny. They'd already built City Hall, the Century Bank (I think that was the name ... may have been Central), and the courthouse, so I guess most of the early growth in Huntsville was downtown but all that was already there when I first came.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 PM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Remember it? Absolutely. I was there with my Mother on opening day. JC Penny, Lovemans, Woolworths, Piccadilly, London Transit, National Shirt Shop and Newsome's records. Maybe a bookstore called Andans?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:42 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Remember it? Absolutely. I was there with my Mother on opening day. JC Penny, Lovemans, Woolworths, Piccadilly, London Transit, National Shirt Shop and Newsome's records. Maybe a bookstore called Andans?
Yes, Andan was more of a news stand ... had newspapers from just about everywhere. They had books too but it wasn't one of the mega-stores like Books a Million and Barnes & Noble are now

I don't remember Woolworth or Picadilly being in The Mall. Seems like there was a Woolworth in Parkway City at one time, and the Picadilly was in Dunnavant's wasn't it?

It's been a long time.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, Andan was more of a news stand ... had newspapers from just about everywhere. They had books too but it wasn't one of the mega-stores like Books a Million and Barnes & Noble are now

I don't remember Woolworth or Picadilly being in The Mall. Seems like there was a Woolworth in Parkway City at one time, and the Picadilly was in Dunnavant's wasn't it?

It's been a long time.
Piccadilly was definitely in The Mall. My grandmother used to take my cousin and me to eat there all the time. Britlings cafeteria was in Dunnavants Mall. I remember Woolworths had a diner in it also. Seems like there was a drug store (Rexall?) with a diner in it too. I don't know that all these places were in The Mall when it opened, but I'm pretty sure they all were in there at one time or another. There was a grocery store in there at one time also. Foodland?

Last edited by Preston3124; 08-16-2017 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Added content

Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Ah.. Penny's. I was trying to remember what the other big store was. Loveman's is what later became Toys r us, correct?
I thought Picadilly was elsewhere too but then.. I forgot all about Britlings.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:37 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,574,422 times
Bill's London Transit
Russell Stover

Old 08-17-2017, 04:29 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,126 times
What about the square dancers by the fountain on Saturday night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area