Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:01 AM

20 posts, read 109,976 times

Advertisements

I looked to the other threads and saw some people talk about how Huntsville is very diverse and open to different races, which is great. The question I had is

I work for an aerospace / defense company that has a very large office in Huntsville, it has been tossed around that I would be a good fit managing one of the shops. I have lived in the south, I was formerly stationed in Mississippi, and various places in Texas all of which I loved with no racism (I look more Hispanic). Execpt now I have a family and have to consider how they would feel there.

I and my wife are both 20 something full blooded Indians and not the Native American ones, the Asian ones (I was born and raised in the US though), and I am a Muslim. I don't plan to stay forever, but I didn't want to feel like, or be treated like I was unwanted. My wife does not wear the traditional Hijab style head dress, but she does like to wear her traditional Indian dresses every so often. I understand some stares, but do you think anything negative will come of this?

I love where I presently live, but see this as a huge career opportunity, but don't want to do it if my family will be ill treated.

I am only asking this because I have never been to Huntsville, but have heard a lot of good things it's just all of the good stuff come from my cucasian co workers, so they don't consider the same things I do. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
Hi Kasim, you should not have any problem fitting in down here. People relocate here from all over the country and world for that matter. Everyone is pretty open, you might get a few looks from certain people, but nothing beyond that. If you have anymore questions just let us know.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 AM

410 posts, read 1,653,094 times
I don't think you will have any problems. You may want to stay closer into Huntsville or Madison proper to avoid the few mossbacks around. There are a couple of ladies I see from time to time wearing full hijab and jilbab and I haven't seen anyone give them a second look -- I think your wife's dresses wouldn't be any cause for concern.

Huntsville has a couple of Indian markets and at least one Pakistani/Indian restaurant that seems pretty authentic (Sitar in Madison). There are at least a couple of more I have passed, but I haven't tried them.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:09 PM

262 posts, read 793,527 times
I'm not there, yet, but I think because of the number of military or ex-military members in the area, it should not be a problem. I think the majority seem to be more accepting of cultural differences than society as a whole. Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, though?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:18 PM

20 posts, read 109,976 times
I am ex military and have never felt unaccepted in the military arena. I just didn't know the majority of the people in the Huntsville area are military or ex military, is this true?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
We have quite a few (Asian) Indians in North Alabama, doing everything from managing hotels to doing surgery. It's not unusual at all - even in Decatur - to see a lady in a sari. My children had several Muslim Indian friends grow up with them throughout their school career. I believe you would be very welcome!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:39 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,024 times
I have seen several ladies in hijab in Huntsville (particularly on the UAH campus) and nobody turned a hair. So to speak. For all the stares/comments their attire generated, these ladies might as well have been wearing jeans and t-shirts, on their way to Walmart.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:57 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,094 times
I was out and about today and must have seen a dozen ladies in traditional Indian dress. I had never really noticed before; neither did anyone else today. It reminded me how fun and yet very classy these dresses are -- if I were an Indian lady in America, I wouldn't want to give them up either.

I don't think the majority of folks in Huntsville are ex-military, but it is certainly a very military-friendly town.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:14 PM

262 posts, read 793,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykasim View Post
I am ex military and have never felt unaccepted in the military arena. I just didn't know the majority of the people in the Huntsville area are military or ex military, is this true?
I didn't mean to imply that the majority of people in Huntsville were military or ex-military. If you re-read what I wrote, I stated that there are a number of people in Huntsville that are, and IMO the majority of people associated with the military seem to be more accepting of cultural differences simply because they have usually traveled and lived in more places around the world.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:06 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
HSV is definitely a military-friendly town, plus IIRC there are like 80,000 military retirees in the area. I think most Indians in town are Hindu, but there is an established Muslim community (including masjid and school).

Huntsville Islamic Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area