U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:08 AM

14 posts, read 21,080 times

Advertisements

The story I heard had something to do with a clause in the deed for the land all around ditto that would not allow any development of the surrounding land when it was deeded to Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 10:18 AM

20 posts, read 17,927 times
I am confused, is this a done deal, meaning, has Huntsville annex and purchased the land in Morgan county or are they waiting for some type of tax payer approval? Also, is it finalized that a 60 acre lake will be dug?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:15 AM

49 posts, read 30,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer613 View Post
I am confused, is this a done deal, meaning, has Huntsville annex and purchased the land in Morgan county or are they waiting for some type of tax payer approval? Also, is it finalized that a 60 acre lake will be dug?
A presentation of the plan will be presented tonight at city council, they will probably vote on it the next council meeting. I don't think anything with this is finalized, and the city doesn't expect any infrastructure spending for now.

I doubt this really changes anything for Huntsville or Morgan county. The motivation is coming from the developer that believes he will be able to sell the lots/houses easier if they are in Huntsville for school/police/fire zoning. Both Morgan county and Huntsville will get increased property tax revenues and maybe some sales tax if a small commercial development is included.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:24 AM

Huntsville to discuss annexation into Morgan County | Morgan County | decaturdaily.com

Here is a little more information on his plans.

35 farm/estate lots, an event center already being built (I would assume a liquor license is key to this), and a park on 200 acres of land donated to the city named after Wisda's parents.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 PM

711 posts, read 675,269 times
It's official: Huntsville annexes land into Morgan County
Posted Thursday Feb 22, 2018 8:00 PM

Huntsville set to cross Tennessee River, annex part of Morgan County
Posted Thursday Feb 8, 2018

Old 02-23-2018, 08:44 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,940,224 times
Of course, they won't do what they need to do with the land. More homes and a recreation area. We'll whoopty do.

How about a river walk with restaurants, retail, bars, and maybe an ampitheater?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Of course, they won't do what they need to do with the land. More homes and a recreation area. We'll whoopty do.

How about a river walk with restaurants, retail, bars, and maybe an ampitheater?
I interned in the planning department for a summer several years ago. This is brought up to them all the time. This is what I was told/overheard.

The problem centers around flooding and the population center. A lot of this area is regulatory flood zone, which means you basically can't build anything on it with some small exceptions. The rest is AE flood zone that would make this type of development extremely expensive. You would need to bring in tons of dirty to build up the entire area and then prove that it wouldn't affect anyone up or downstream.

Then you have the fact that the area is really only convent for a small portion of the Huntsville metro. Outside of South Huntsville and maybe Hampton Cove this is easily a 30 min - 1 hour drive from Madison, Harvest, North/NE Huntsville, Decatur, Athens. Developers and retail are driven by population centers and traffic counts.

The cost to build anything mixed with lack of surrounding population just hasn't allowed the numbers to work.

Interestingly, there have been some plans for the area, but haven't been successful and are now used as flyers to try and sell land down from Ditto including Hobbs Island. I think if the southern bypass it built and growth continues into Owens Cross Roads and Lacey Springs you will eventually see something.

Butler's Basin:

Highlights

Old 02-23-2018, 11:48 AM

20 posts, read 17,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL2HSV View Post

The problem centers around flooding and the population center. A lot of this area is regulatory flood zone, which means you basically can't build anything on it with some small exceptions. The rest is AE flood zone that would make this type of development extremely expensive. You would need to bring in tons of dirty to build up the entire area and then prove that it wouldn't affect anyone up or downstream.

The article said they were going to dig a 60 acre lake. This would be plenty of dirt.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer613 View Post
The article said they were going to dig a 60 acre lake. This would be plenty of dirt.
The 60 acre lake already exist on Wisda's property.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:21 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,940,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL2HSV View Post
I interned in the planning department for a summer several years ago. This is brought up to them all the time. This is what I was told/overheard.

Then you have the fact that the area is really only convent for a small portion of the Huntsville metro. Outside of South Huntsville and maybe Hampton Cove this is easily a 30 min - 1 hour drive from Madison, Harvest, North/NE Huntsville, Decatur, Athens. Developers and retail are driven by population centers and traffic counts.

The cost to build anything mixed with lack of surrounding population just hasn't allowed the numbers to work.

Interestingly, there have been some plans for the area, but haven't been successful and are now used as flyers to try and sell land down from Ditto including Hobbs Island. I think if the southern bypass it built and growth continues into Owens Cross Roads and Lacey Springs you will eventually see something.

Butler's Basin:

Highlights
And Nashville, Chattanooga, or Jacksonville don't flood along their rivers?

Yeah, I understand it's not city center. But look at other metros. It's still a drive to go from the suburbs to the city center. All my family and friends ask why isn't it built up down by the river. I live in meridianville, and would easily drive to an ampitheater, river walk, or a brewery down on the river. It's a really nice area that is completely understand utilized. People keep clinging onto our downtown and I just don't see the appeal. Sitting outside eating and looking at a small park or old building? Or would I rather sit outside along a river with some rolling hills? It's the same reason beaches and lakes are so popular to build on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or