U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:33 AM

360 posts, read 421,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Thank you all for the replies. Madison sounds very encouraging with the Town Madison project going on and baseball team as well. The school system is our number 1 priority honestly so that fits the bill as well.

My wife has never lived anywhere but Nashville so Im not sure Athens or similar would interest her, or me really, but well check it out too. My wife just says we have to live within 10 minutes of a Target lol.

As far as budget for neighborhoods, if its just my wife and I and kids our budget will likely be around $300k or so. If my mother in law moves with us and we need a place with an in law suite, our budget could be upwards of 400-450 since she would be selling her home and helping us out.
Madison housing is more expensive than county or some parts of Huntsville, but $300-400k will go much farther than it will in Nashville now. If you live in Madison, you'll be a couple miles from a target and within a few miles of about 10 grocery stores.

I go to Nashville a lot, the lack of traffic in Huntsville/Madison (compared to Nashville) is so nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:50 AM

102 posts, read 75,300 times
Weighing in from East Limestone and 7 miles from the Madison Target. Do consider East Limestone. It's small. I thought I read 30K people live in Athens. We enjoy the low crime, inexpensive housing, and the close proximity to everything in Madison/Huntsville. Plus the added benefit of being ~ 7 miles from I-65, which makes a trip to Birmingham or Nashville so easy! Don't count on any nightlife in Athens/East Limestone unless a backyard bonfire is your jam. For restaurants, breweries, bars it's ~ 5 miles to County Line Road where there is a decent selection. I can't speak to the Athens school system because my stepchildren are all out of school; however, I know they are constructing a large high school on highway 31, at least I believe it is a high school. ~ 3 miles west is a Publix shopping center, thank goodness, with a Buffalo Wild Wings and Los Trojas; just beyond that are several mediocre (IMHO) chain restaurants. Athens has a quaint downtown and a chick fil a and starbucks. We'd love to have you in Athens/East Limestone and good luck to you and your family!

Old 03-23-2018, 04:26 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,133,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Thank you all for the replies. Madison sounds very encouraging with the Town Madison project going on and baseball team as well. The school system is our number 1 priority honestly so that fits the bill as well.

My wife has never lived anywhere but Nashville so I’m not sure Athens or similar would interest her, or me really, but we’ll check it out too. My wife just says we have to live within 10 minutes of a Target lol.

As far as budget for neighborhoods, if it’s just my wife and I and kids our budget will likely be around $300k or so. If my mother in law moves with us and we need a place with an in law suite, our budget could be upwards of 400-450 since she would be selling her home and helping us out.
You should be able to find a very nice house (in a neighborhood, not acreage) with a budget like yours. Probably the best place to live to have easy accessibility to Town Madison, the new baseball stadium, and the new Toyota plant would be somewhere just east or west of County Line Road. That would also keep you in the Madison school district, and is a fairly quick trip to downtown Huntsville should the need arise. East Limestone is fine, but traffic can be pretty brutal on Hwy 72 ... it's heavily traveled and has a traffic light just about every block it seems.

I don't know her, but LCTMadison, who replied to your post, is a realtor and seems to know her stuff, and seems dedicated to satisfying her client. Plus, her children go to Mississippi State, which makes her alright in my book (even though she went to Auburn ). So I'd suggest contacting her about housing when you get to that point.

There's also a neighborhood east of Athens that's a golf course community called Canebrake with a really nice course, if you're into golf. I suspect it would be on the upper end of your budget though, but it is reasonably close to the new plant's location.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:14 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,815,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel104 View Post
Weighing in from East Limestone and 7 miles from the Madison Target. Do consider East Limestone. It's small. I thought I read 30K people live in Athens. We enjoy the low crime, inexpensive housing, and the close proximity to everything in Madison/Huntsville. Plus the added benefit of being ~ 7 miles from I-65, which makes a trip to Birmingham or Nashville so easy! Don't count on any nightlife in Athens/East Limestone unless a backyard bonfire is your jam. For restaurants, breweries, bars it's ~ 5 miles to County Line Road where there is a decent selection. I can't speak to the Athens school system because my stepchildren are all out of school; however, I know they are constructing a large high school on highway 31, at least I believe it is a high school. ~ 3 miles west is a Publix shopping center, thank goodness, with a Buffalo Wild Wings and Los Trojas; just beyond that are several mediocre (IMHO) chain restaurants. Athens has a quaint downtown and a chick fil a and starbucks. We'd love to have you in Athens/East Limestone and good luck to you and your family!
Property is so much less once you cross out of Madison but still on the rise as demand is really growing in East Limestone as Madison property costs rise and Toyota is going to add to that...we are about to list a house in East Limestone under $300K, that house in Madison city right now would be close to if not over $400k depending on neighborhood. Its only about 4 miles from the Madison city limits. I have a pocket listing in East Limestone that will not even make it to the market, she told me she wanted to sell, I have 2 buyers and bam....sold. If it was listed, it would sell immediately.

You are correct, they are building a new Athens High School, it was badly needed.

Madison property is skyrocketing in price and we are in a sellers market right now. Its like Hunger Games under $300k. I had a client who started at $300k.....they are now under contract at $450k :O Resales are exceeding new construction build costs. Its nuts.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 AM

34 posts, read 27,215 times
LCT, how much interest are you seeing in the Hilltop Ridge subdivision? Seeing you talk about rising Madison prices make me optimistic that I can get a nice asking price if I decide to sale 5-7 years from now.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:18 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,815,584 times
The market right now is really good but in that neighborhood you will probably be better off a few years down the road. There is a lot of comparable new construction right now in that area and I'm not seeing the heightened demand for those like I am with Jeff Benton or Stoneridge. DR Horton, DSLD, Stone Martin, Valor, Mungo all have a good amount of inventory and lots available. Not to say you couldn't sell but you are probably not going to make money off of it from what you bought for right now.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 PM

422 posts, read 451,711 times
Talk about Target, the 1st house we bought was right behind the Madison Target, which was a cotton field at that time. I happened to talk to the current owner recently. The market price for that 2,700 sqft house is still under $200k today.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:31 PM

144 posts, read 77,206 times
OP based on my searches you can get a pretty amazing house in Madison area for $300k to $350. Taxes are low too I know the comparison to what we would pay in the Northeast isn't even close.

I am hearing good things about Huntsville area and I want to explore it myself. These NE winters are truly unbearable now.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 16,160 times
Thanks for the many comments and suggestions. We are planning to drive down in the next couple of weeks and check the area out and get ideas and a feel for the area.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:15 PM

23 posts, read 16,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Property is so much less once you cross out of Madison but still on the rise as demand is really growing in East Limestone as Madison property costs rise and Toyota is going to add to that...we are about to list a house in East Limestone under $300K, that house in Madison city right now would be close to if not over $400k depending on neighborhood. Its only about 4 miles from the Madison city limits. I have a pocket listing in East Limestone that will not even make it to the market, she told me she wanted to sell, I have 2 buyers and bam....sold. If it was listed, it would sell immediately.
Speaking of real estate, are there any specific neighborhoods you recommend us looking around in when we come down in a couple of weeks? Just a quick trulia search around the county line road area, that a poster on here recommended, we found a gorgeous house in a neighborhood that seemed cheaper than all of the other areas. Is there anything wrong with this neighborhood for example? The street is Ervington Place. https://www.trulia.com/p/al/madison/...58--2038441774

Just wondering why it's more affordable than other areas along that corridor. We currently live in a townhouse we had built last year and it cost $250k and our hoa is $133 a month so we are basically already paying for a $275k mortgage more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or