U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:56 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,815,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Speaking of real estate, are there any specific neighborhoods you recommend us looking around in when we come down in a couple of weeks? Just a quick trulia search around the county line road area, that a poster on here recommended, we found a gorgeous house in a neighborhood that seemed cheaper than all of the other areas. Is there anything wrong with this neighborhood for example? The street is Ervington Place. https://www.trulia.com/p/al/madison/...58--2038441774

Just wondering why it's more affordable than other areas along that corridor. We currently live in a townhouse we had built last year and it cost $250k and our hoa is $133 a month so we are basically already paying for a $275k mortgage more or less.
No, Cedar Springs Station is a GREAT neighborhood...the ones at the front of the neighborhood are going to be lower, as you get to the back the homes are much higher priced, they go up into the $400k range.

The neighborhoods I usually recommend depend on the budget you are wanting to stay in. If you are wanting to stay under $300k, the market is pretty tight right now. In that area you will have neighborhoods like Oakstone, Cedar Spring Station, SOMETIMES you can squeak into Whitworth Farms but most of those will be over $300k. Hunington Chase which is right across Mill Road from Cedar Spring Station will have homes under $300k. Lexington which is at the north end of Balch Road (Balch runs north/south parallel to County Line Road). Over $300k opens up neighborhoods like Heritage Provence, Heritage Plantation, Walden, etc.

I wouldn't discount the eastern parts of Madison. County Line area is great, I've lived here for 11 years, but the east part has some really beautiful, established neighborhoods as well. The areas off Eastview Dr and Highland are nice, and there are a few really good neighborhoods off Hughes Road. You sometimes get more for your money as the homes are a little older and may need some updating, but great area none the less and you typically get larger lots as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM

23 posts, read 16,160 times
Ok, we are going to drive down tomorrow and scope out the general area. Are there any good "non chain restaurants" that can't be missed for lunch or dinner? We are going to see where the toyota plant is going to be and then basically just drive around madison for neighborhoods, and now we are going to consider the Athens area as well due to the schools rating well and home prices. We will probably go into Huntsville to check out the city some as well.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:27 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,081,129 times
Quote:
Ok, we are going to drive down tomorrow and scope out the general area. Are there any good "non chain restaurants" that can't be missed for lunch or dinner? We are going to see where the toyota plant is going to be and then basically just drive around madison for neighborhoods, and now we are going to consider the Athens area as well due to the schools rating well and home prices. We will probably go into Huntsville to check out the city some as well.
Here's a start
Dining & Nightlife

there are many numerous quality local and chain restaurants in the metro.
Chuck wagon BBq
Phil Sandavols, Tex Mex
Rosies Tex Mex
Viet Cuisine
Waltons
Blue Plate, meat an three/breakfast
G's Country Kitchen
Big Shakes Hot Chicken
Bridge Street Town Center for maybe not too common chains
Biegnet Café breakfast

Old 05-23-2018, 12:57 PM

221 posts, read 243,262 times
Try Hunt Club in Madison. And, while you're at it, check out 122 Walking Trail Way.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:31 PM

62 posts, read 65,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMike View Post
Try Hunt Club in Madison. And, while you're at it, check out 122 Walking Trail Way.
I second Hunt Club, great place!

Old Today, 07:15 AM

Hello again. So we ended up coming for a real quick visit back in May. It definitely seemed like a much different pace compared to Nashville. This is fine with me but my wife is born and raised here so she’s not used to calmer way of life. We have a hotel booked in March and we are coming down to see the Huntsville Havoc play since hockey is our main form of entertainment and I want to show her something we would do for fun if we were to move there. Also, I didn’t know about bridge street so that’s on the list too.

My question relates to neighborhoods and schools. Obviously it seems Madison city has the best schools. I see housing developers appear to be building on the north side of Madison and calling it Madison but the school (Columbia I think) rates horrible. Is it ideal to stay away from that district? Also, are there any others good schools in the Huntsville area besides Madison city? That would open up things possibly?

Old Today, 07:29 AM

360 posts, read 421,065 times
Quote:
Hello again. So we ended up coming for a real quick visit back in May. It definitely seemed like a much different pace compared to Nashville. This is fine with me but my wife is born and raised here so she’s not used to calmer way of life. We have a hotel booked in March and we are coming down to see the Huntsville Havoc play since hockey is our main form of entertainment and I want to show her something we would do for fun if we were to move there. Also, I didn’t know about bridge street so that’s on the list too.

My question relates to neighborhoods and schools. Obviously it seems Madison city has the best schools. I see housing developers appear to be building on the north side of Madison and calling it Madison but the school (Columbia I think) rates horrible. Is it ideal to stay away from that district? Also, are there any others good schools in the Huntsville area besides Madison city? That would open up things possibly?
Bob Jones and James Clemens are the only high schools in Madison City. Columbia Elementary is Madison City. There are non-Madison City zoned houses with Madison addresses because the Madison post office serves them.

I'm from Nashville too, definitely different here (less traffic and lower cost of living!), but we're getting more and more "big city" developments. MidCity (where Top Golf is already open), Stovehouse, Town Madison, CityCentre, all are in work and will be great for the city. The area right around the VBC (where the hockey game is) will be much improved in a couple of years. CityCentre is being developed near there and a new music venue on the north side of the VBC complex. And it sounds like a major development will be coming pretty soon to the area across from the VBC on Clinton Ave.

Fun places to visit now: Lowe Mill, Campus 805, downtown, Providence is pretty nice, Bridge Street for shopping, Monte Sano for hiking.

It's not the NHL here, but did you see this article:

Hockey in Alabama - Where unlikely die-hards meet delightful 'shenanigans'

Old Today, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post

It's not the NHL here, but did you see this article:

Hockey in Alabama - Where unlikely die-hards meet delightful 'shenanigans'
Yes I read that the other day. I’m hoping we have a good time at the game. I also follow the Trash Pandas account on twitter and plan on visiting the team shop. I really like the concept of town Madison and i enjoy margaritavilles usually.

Old Today, 05:43 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,133,325 times
Hockey has been a thing here for quite some time. I don't remember when the first professional team came, but we went to UAH games as far back as the '70s, maybe '80s. They were a club team for a while, then was NCAA Div I for a while, but I think went back to club level not long after. Division I competition is tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or