Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 AM

7 posts, read 11,426 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Huntsville from St. Louis. We have lots of school choices with excellent public, private, Christian, and Catholic schools in abundance. Our children attend a Catholic grade school and would have attended a college prep school for high school. We belong to a very active Catholic parish. Where would be the best area for us to look for homes and what are the best schools in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,401 times
There are several excellent choices for private and public schools in our area. Some of the more popular:

Madison area schools:

St. Johns/Catholic High School (private)
Madison Academy (private)
Madison City Schools (7 elem., 2 middles, and Bob Jones High until new HS opens next year)

HSV:

Randolph (private, very competitive for entry)
Grissom High (feeds from the SE HSV elementary schools)
HSV High (feeds from the E HSV elementary schools as well as the Hampton Cove schools)
Columbia High (area's only international baccalaureate, feeds from the west/sw HSV elementary schools)

Check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to get more info on all the area schools.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 AM

934 posts, read 1,937,651 times
Well, if you refer to Hsv and not Madison, I am partial to the SE part of Hsv. Both Grissom and Huntsville HS are highly regarded. Im not familiar with Madison schools so I cant comment.

My daughter went to Grissom and we had a great experience. We lived in the Willowbrook subdivision, which is a nice, older/established area close to Grissom.

My FIL is Catholic and has attended Holy Spirit in SE Huntsville for decades - they operate a school but I dont know the particulars. Good Shepherd is another Catholic church in SE Hsv as well.

Good luck on your move

Old 08-07-2011, 11:49 AM

25 posts, read 41,235 times
Front page of the Huntsville Times this morning quoted a school board member stating that her child would have 45 kids in his government AP class at Grissom High School this year. Because the state of Alabama is requiring more students for each teaching position funded, it is going to impact the size of classrooms, especially in specialty areas.

I would strongly urge you to consider this when looking for a home and considering private/public schools in Huntsville.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 PM

404 posts, read 777,603 times
A possible reason for 45 students in grissom's gov AP class is it is usually taught by one of the schools favorite teachers who always takes a team or two to state competition. My daughter took both of her Gov AP class and loved her. Through her 4 years at Grissom, she had for very full and very space classes, but she did very well. I was very happy with my childs SE Huntsville education. She also had a good number of friends, as did I, who attended good Sheppard Catholic.

Lastly I will say that Grissom did a very good job preparing for college, including help in getting kids accepted to good colleges around the country. By helping them prepare for SATs & application essay writing and teacher references.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM

268 posts, read 634,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie51 View Post
Our children attend a Catholic grade school and would have attended a college prep school for high school. We belong to a very active Catholic parish. Where would be the best area for us to look for homes and what are the best schools in the area?
If you were planning on a prep school in St. Louis, then you may want to look at Randolph School here.

Holy Spirit and St. John's are probably the best Catholic K-8 schools.

There is one local Catholic high school, Pope John Paul II. It was formerly called Catholic High, and most of us still call it that due to the somewhat unwieldy new name.

Randolph and Holy Spirit are located in SE Huntsville, so most students live nearby (although Randolph has students from all over, including as far away as Decatur, Guntersville, and Scottsboro).

St. John's and PJPII are most convenient to Madison.

(But really if you are going the private school route, any of these are pretty accessible from the whole area.)

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM

283 posts, read 408,617 times
I would not recommend hvs city schools to anyone. My sons went and they were literally three years behind in what they teach. We moved to Madison City for the best schools in the state. I can say both my sons are in AP classes and they love there teachers and schools. Bob Jones does have a christian club. I have friends that have children in the Catholic private school in Madison and they are very happy with it. It is a buetiful campus and they have sports and plenty of after school activities. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM

48 posts, read 79,570 times
Didn't HSV Schools lay off quite a few teachers last year due to financial woes.

Madison City Schools actually budgeted and subsidized State funds to keep teachers on pay roll.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,283,689 times
Neither H'ville High nor Grissom High achieved AYP last school year. This is an indicator of problems somewhere. Could be because of SPED or ELL, but regardless they did not make it.

There is also a smaller Catholic school, named Holy Family. It has not been mentioned.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 PM

268 posts, read 634,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedinMadison View Post
Didn't HSV Schools lay off quite a few teachers last year due to financial woes.

Madison City Schools actually budgeted and subsidized State funds to keep teachers on pay roll.
Madison has 13 fewer teachers than last year, not necessarily something to gloat about.

Larger class sizes, fewer teachers and staff to meet Huntsville, Madison students on first day of school | al.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area