Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 06:10 PM

32 posts, read 32,456 times

Advertisements

My family just moved here from Southern California 10 months ago, but my husband worked at NASA Goddard and lived in Maryland before that, and he says the summers here are better. It is still hot and humid, but the sky is not that uniform gray you get in the D.C. area with no breeze to relieve you. We are very happy with our move. The cost of living is less, housing is great, the schools (in Madison City, where we live) are amazing, utilities and gasoline are cheaper, property taxes are less, and the people here are very nice. It took us a few months to get used to everyone being so kind and accommodating after so many years of having our guard up in So. Cal., but we are really enjoying the fact that our blood pressure has dropped, and our kids are a lot calmer. I feel like we have improved our lives and the future prospects of our children in almost every way. The only thing we wish is that we had moved 5 years sooner. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 07:55 PM

12,981 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMillyDee View Post
My family just moved here from Southern California 10 months ago, but my husband worked at NASA Goddard and lived in Maryland before that, and he says the summers here are better. It is still hot and humid, but the sky is not that uniform gray you get in the D.C. area with no breeze to relieve you. We are very happy with our move. The cost of living is less, housing is great, the schools (in Madison City, where we live) are amazing, utilities and gasoline are cheaper, property taxes are less, and the people here are very nice. It took us a few months to get used to everyone being so kind and accommodating after so many years of having our guard up in So. Cal., but we are really enjoying the fact that our blood pressure has dropped, and our kids are a lot calmer. I feel like we have improved our lives and the future prospects of our children in almost every way. The only thing we wish is that we had moved 5 years sooner. Good luck!
Glad you like it here and find it a friendly place ... almost everybody I know of who is from somewhere else, me included, love it here. I retired and stayed. When I first moved here, there were very few natives. There are more now, of course, because kids are growing up. But there is still a large migration into the area and I hope it stays that way.

Did you know that all our gasoline, including jet fuel at the airport, comes here via truck from Birmingham? Not only is that dangerous to have loaded tankers traveling I-65 daily, it makes prices at least 10 cents a gallon higher than in Birmingham. We need pipeline service ... not totally safe, but safer than tankers on highways, in my opinion.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:22 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
There are pipelines around here. I remember one having a leak and it taking about four years for the site to be declared safe. IIRC, it was transporting ethane at the time. That said, the spill was nothing like the one in Shelby County.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:05 AM

12,981 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There are pipelines around here. I remember one having a leak and it taking about four years for the site to be declared safe. IIRC, it was transporting ethane at the time. That said, the spill was nothing like the one in Shelby County.
Weren't there actually two "spills" in Shelby County? At least one was more than a mere spill ... a decent size explosion with casualties, as I recall, a year or two ago.

There was also a tanker that had an accident around the 20/59 interchange several years ago that literally burned down one of the bridges. AlDot had it replaced within 90 days, which shows what the CAN do when they want to.

Neither method of transport is totally safe, but fuel is a required commodity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area