Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:40 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,592,493 times

Advertisements

Recently I heard of something called the Impossible Burger. It is supposed to be a substitute for the beef hamburger that is made entirely from plants.

The Impossible Burger has not made it to Huntsville yet. It is not available at retail but can only be found at restaurants. Here are some of the restaurants it can be found at:
Flip Burger Boutique, Birmingham, AL
Islamorada Fish Company, Prattville, AL
Kings Bowl Franklin, Franklin, TN
Zeal Kitchen & Bar, Marietta, GA
Wahlburgers Atlanta, Atlanta, GA

The Beyond Burger is another non-beef burger. It can be found locally at the following stores:
Krogers, Fresh Market, Pubilx, Target, Walmart, Whole Foods

Has anyone tried either of these burgers? If so how do they compare to real beef burgers or the traditional veggie burgers.

==========================================

Impossible Foods

Beyond Meat

The Impossible Burger: Inside the Strange Science of the Fake Meat That 'Bleeds'

These 2 Fake Burgers Taste Remarkably Like the Real Thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 02:15 PM

614 posts, read 766,320 times
If beef is so bad, why make plant patties look and taste like it?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:34 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
I've not tried either of the brands mentioned but I've had veggie burgers before and hated them. To me they tasted bitter, but I also don't like mushrooms. Pretty sure they're in almost all veggie burgers, thus they taste bitter to me. My son and his family love them though.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:55 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Yeah, I haven't tried those brands either but plan to try one at Wahlburgers when it opens up downtown, although I'll probably try every other burger they sell before I try it. I'm a burger aficionado so I try to keep up with the local market (currently I like Humps and Straight to Ale).

Old 04-26-2018, 02:36 PM

263 posts, read 230,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
If beef is so bad, why make plant patties look and taste like it?
the idea is that the impact on the global environment and human body is bad, not the taste. so if the taste is great to someone who is concerned about beef's affect on their personal health or the global environment, then this could be a staple product for them

Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
I realize this thread is a bit old but... I tried the Impossible Burger at Farm Burger. I am a devoted meat eater but do enjoy trying different foods and try to cut back on red meat and pork for health reasons. That said, it was good. Was it as good as their beef burger? IMO, no, but it was still tasty. It has a slightly different flavor from beef. Some people claim you can’t tell the difference but I don’t know about that. I also tried the Beyond Burger at a friends cook out. It was cooked over charcoal with a bit of char on the outside, likely giving it an unfair advantage, but I preferred it to the Impossible Burger. The Beyond Burger was thicker, had more flavor IMO and didn’t seem to be trying so hard to mimic beef. It was just good in its own right. I want to buy some and grill them and see how my kids like them.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I will sometimes eat a Bocaburger or Dr. Prager's just for a change, but I look carefully at the ingredient lists. What seems to be currently happening is that major food suppliers have noticed things like the drive for vegan food in Britain, the IMMENSE profit margin from taking cheap beans and various flavorings, and promoting a highly refined foodstuff as ethical and healthy. I trust the big boys as much as I did the "poly-unsaturated fat" in margarine being healthier than butter. "Fake" almost always comes with hidden gotchas, such as fake sugars that end up promoting weight gain, fake creaminess in dairy products by using cheap guar gum, etc.

If I had kids, their primary diet would be "clean" and avoiding processed foods as much as practical. YMMV

Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
I agree that “fake” can come with plenty of hidden gotchas. However, the gotchas of the excessive red meat in the American diet are not hidden. They are extremely well documented. And I say that as a meat eater. I appreciate your input on how you would feed your imaginary kids, but if a veggie burger is the worst thing in a kids diet, I would say their diet is better than 99.9% of Americans.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:37 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Fair enough. I might quibble a little (read "Pandora's Lunchbox"and "Eat Right For Your Bloodtype" sometime) but I have no qualms with your basic point on excessive red meat consumption in the U.S.. However - paying an excess for what is primarily black beans, soy, and flavor, when I make killer black beans, and have made soy cheese from scratch, isn't going to happen often for me. For kids, an excess of soy (which is also in chicken feed and thence the chicken meat) can be problematic. As with most things, moderation is key.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:30 PM

137 posts, read 231,254 times
I tried the impossible burger at Red Robin's and it was quite good!! I love hamburgers, a bit too much by the site of my ever growing belly, but I could definitely go for one of these instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area